“Historic delight”

Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Wpg
“Historic delight”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We just returned from a 3 night wedding ani special at the Bessborough and found it delightful. We were on the 4th floor with a river view. Hallway carpeting and room appear newly renovated and the decor compliments the historic nature of this beautiful old building in a walkable neighbourhood. There is sound transfer between rooms but not an issue since we kept our fan on medium. The room window opens. Not sure if the heat/fan system would be airconditioning too but it was set at 18.5 at the lowest. The internet worked well and had no charge for use. There is a small under the counter fridge in room. Staff was very service oriented and pleasant. We ate breakfast in the Garden Cafe 3 mornings.They have a breakfast counter which carried a nice selection of items and was constantly being refilled. The Sunday brunch was of significant choices with lovely desserts. Some hot items could have been hotter but overall lots of choice. Coffee is actually good for a restaurant even if stronger will always be our choice. We could look down on the pool from the restaurant and it shows a max depth of 5' and there is a hot tub... we did not use the tub or exercise area so cannot comment.
The location of this hotel with the immediate river walkways and park benches was a huge plus. Saskatoon is a beautiful small city and the protection of their river bank for public use is major asset and enhances this hotels amenities. There is some road work being done causing some reroute of vehicle traffic to access the front of the building...being a long weekend there was no roadwork in progress. Lovely historic building and a lovely way to have celebrated our wedding ani and a sure to be repeated again.

Room Tip: The river view was so amazing.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My first stay at this hotel andI am a platinum privilage member so I stay at many delta prioperties and I was very exited to stay at the castle on the river, I realized not everything would be perfect. I have stayed at many old CN hotels and they have quircky rooms and generally small bathrooms but that is just part of there attraction and charm and this was a Beautiful hotel in a spectacular location on the river with tons of green space. The hotel has been lovingly restored with many new amenities but they have kept some of the historic features and it really looks great I was initially so impressed by the service and the hotel in general. I was checked in with a very nice gentlemen and was given access to club lounge and my breakfast coupon and wished a good stay. Very professional and so far everything is perfect and I was so happy i had made the decsion to stay hear rather than my regular hotel across the street.
They were doing construction out front of the hotel on the road well into the evening, it was around 20c outside and a beautiful day when I parked I though I hope they don't give me a room above the construction.
Room 619 was not an upgrade, first time this year I did not receive an DELTA upgrade, room right over the construction ( this must be where they put there priority guests) I understand the hotel has no control over the construction but they sure should know which rooms are affected the most, room Tremperature a HOT 28c and very uninviting.

Too hot and noisy to stay in the hotel room so decide to go for a run along the river but on the way out I mention the heat in my room to the front desk. I was told they have not turned the air conditioning on for the rooms.... WHAT? So you can have AC or HEAT but not both? This is a $250.00 per night hotel room which I can not sleep in because they won't turn on the ac to the rooms!!! I was offered a room change but what difference would that make, no AC is no AC. At that point I so wished I had stayed at the chain hotel across the street. I heard people complaining in the lounge and in the elevators.
So be warned if you go in shoulder temperature season be prepared to either freeze or get heated out of your room but not both. I'm so dissapointed with the castle on the river, shame on you for not making your hotel rooms comfortable and double shame for how you handled the situation Delta Bessborough!

Room Tip: Not sure there is one that has both heat and AC.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Moduline, Thank you for giving us the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay and to clarify the implications of the seasonal change over from heating to cooling. I am pleased to know that you like the many positive changes to the hotel since your last visit and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ottawa
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I ignored some of the negative comments made by people when I booked for one night, with a request for a river view. There were no problems with the booking, and the room met expectations - I love the decor, and the obvious renovations give it renewed "class". Front desk staff was helpful at all times, but other staff is not of a consistent quality, and seem to lack training. However, maybe more staff would help. We did not need to call the desk for any help, so do not know how long the wait would - or would not - have been. However, we will visit again.

Room Tip: Always ask for a river view. Fourth floor was good, and in an emergency would not be too far to wal...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I used to stay at Delta Hotels on my business trips on an exclusive basis.

I stopped staying at them because I could not find the value, the food service in most properties was mediocre and they started to charge for internet.

I am usually in Saskatoon for one night a year and to be honest I am not sure where else to stay.

During my visit the staff was very friendly, the room had been upgraded since my last visit and the location was convenient. We had a breakfast meeting and the staff was very helpful but the food was not worth the price.

Also prior to arriving we had shipped a sample case to the hotel and it took my assistant six phone calls over a few days to find out if the case was at the hotel.

I am not sure what has happened to the Delta Brand. I always felt it was a high end brand but the service and food says other wise.

It's too bad as they have locations that are convenient to my business calls.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Tempoman, I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful and enjoyed the recent guest room renovations. At the same time I am disheartened that your overall rating was only "average". Delta Hotels has been undergoing a transformation with significant improvements at a number of properties (including the Delta Bessborough) and more to come. I hope you will try us again in your travels as I'm sure we can win your loyalty back.

Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I love this place! But............the last two times I have stayed here they got my room wrong. I always ask for a suite, I book a suite, I want a suite, I don't get a suite. I also ask for the river view, I don't get that either. I pay extra, but..........nope I don't get it. This last time I got free parking and a card for 15% off my next visit because of the mix up again. Just get it right.

Room Tip: Make sure you call a head to get the right room you booked. Ask for the river view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear DKAL45,

I am pleased to read that you love our "Castle by the River" but disappointed that you have had difficulty booking the room of your choice. I see that sometime has past since this stay but I would be happy to personally assist you in the future.

Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Travelling with my spouse for business, we stayed at the Bessborough for five nights. At first we were willing to write off things such as no water in the gym at 7 am, a broken fountain by th sauna, a steam room that didn't heat and a bathtub were 1/4 of the paint had flake off. Then came Saturday, our last full day at the hotel -- it was a series of bummers including a breakfast at the cafe that took forever and was delivered cold. For the first time in all our travels we sent meals back. Then it was housekeeping -- which had been excellent to that point -- which didn't happen until 8:30 pm and took two phone calls to happen. Much of the staff are either inattentive or overwhelmed.

On the upside, the hotel is quiet me the beds are excellent.

For the price the value just isn't there.

• Stayed April 2014
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear mrshippie, I am sorry to learn that all aspects of your stay were not as they should have been and I hope you will accept my apologies on behalf of all concerned. I will review your comments with our maintenance, housekeeping and restaurant teams to ensure that lessons are learned from your experience.

Nipawin, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The "Bess" is by far my favourite hotel! It's close proximity to some great shoppes is a real bonus. The area surrounding the Bess always has something going on! Be it an outdoor skating rink in the winter or festivals in the summer, this stately old hotel is the centre of what's happening! The front desk personnel are always friendly and willing to help in any way they can. The bedding is always so crisp and fresh; the pillows are like resting your weary head on a cloud! The rooms are always very clean and the decor is quite regal. Room service has always been prompt with delicious food. The shower has never lacked hot water or good pressure. The only negative I can think of or have experienced during my many visits to the Bess is the outdoor parking. As anyone who has experienced a Saskatchewan winter knows, outdoor parking isn't the best. All the great things about this "Castle on the River" certainly out-weigh this minor inconvenience!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view; the view is spectacular during any season!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple