“lots of character!”

Hotel Senator Saskatoon
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 26 September 2012

excellent hotel, great value, hopefully the rates will not go up! very neat and tidy hotel. rooms are alittle small but very comfortable with a very good bed. new A/C and heating system is very nice and very quiet. beautiful nostalgic hallways that are very wide. big flat screen tv is also a bonus. the attached Winston's English Pub is incredible with it's 60 different beer on tap and a good menu with very tastey food. very nicely renovated. for alittle piece of history I highly recommend The Senator for a pleasant and rewarding stay.

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor are quieter especially if you get one facing the parking lot
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
hssaskatoon, Manager at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review, we are proud of the work we have done at the hotel and restaurants, and are continually working on them to provide a home away from home stay for our guests! Thanks again and safe travels!

Chris Beavis
Owner/Manager
Hotel Senator

Reviewed 22 September 2012

on a tip from a colleague we went to the senator for breakfast. great meal for $10. (bacon, eggs, toast, coffee, tomatoes/potatoes and juice.) would recommend it rather than at the other hotels.restaurant staff are very pleasant and prompt.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank boxsterbenz
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Needed a room for one night as my normal hotel was booked. The price and location appeared good. Appeared to be a nice older boutique hotel. The room was very dated and very very basic. Supposedly remodeled recently, not sure what they could have done. Decor very old, things are worn, and a sort of funky smell. Would not go back. But the pub on the first floor is very nice - next time return to the pub and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We chose to eat at the restaurant on Friday night, August 3rd. We chose it because of the location for our brother who liked the "French onion" soup. Since we were in Saskatoon to specifically visit Tom, that is where we would eat. The waiter was wonderful. The chef and the food was unbelievably awful. Two of us ordered the Caesar for two and were told the "bowl was broken so would it be OK to serve it in individual bowls. We were served two extremely small bowls of presumed caesar salad about the size of a dessert dish with copious croutons and several pieces of lettuce- really. The trout which two of us ordered was the size of my "fist"and about as thin as my fist with a blade of a green vegetable and several small potatoes. They had to ask for an extra serving to avoid being hungry all night. What was the chef thinking? Even at that, it was dry. The lobster bisque was the final straw. It was, we were all certain, Campbells tomato soup with a drizzle of cream---no kidding.We are not exaggerating at all. It was an unbelievable experience and I only hope it was an unusual one for that hotel restaurant. Perhaps the cook had the day off and no one had ordered the daily inventory. Honestly. The bill was several hundred $ which was a treat by our older brother. Sadly, he did spend his hard earned money wastefully, although we managed to have a great visit with one another, in spite of the food. The waiter was cute and funny but, I believe, he was also embarrassed. What could he do--except perhaps to have warned us to order meagerly, or, perhaps, what would have been brilliant on his part, to suggest ordering from the pub menu!

Room Tip: Check out the pub menu before you eat an evening meal at the restaurant. Perhaps breakfast is better...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Noreen C
Reviewed 27 August 2012

You can tell the suites have been recently renovated. New paint, what appears to be new mattresses. Quite clean.

Just keep in mind that this is essentially a "boutique" hotel: Rooms are on the smaller size, doors have real keys and a doorknob lock as opposed to keycards and security chains. The shower is hit-and-miss for temperature, so if you're showering at a popular time be prepared for some surprise scalding/freezing.

Overall a great place to stay for the price and location. Free downtown parking, a desk clerk is available 24 hours a day, and the adjoining pub [Winston's] is great for beer but slightly overpriced for food.

Room Tip: Staying in a second floor room facing the parking lot/alleyway, and it was very quiet at night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Well, we decided spur of the moment to meet up in Saskatoon for the long weekend, so I looked for a nice but cheap hotel and I feel that Hotel Senator provided just what I needed. The rooms were small, but comfortable, and the old hotel had a certain charm to it.

Now, I sleep like a rock but apparently my friend found it fairly noisy the first night because of the bar down below. So your mileage may vary, but on the top floor, I didn't have a problem sleeping. If you appreciate the charm of an older building, you'll like the Senator.

The staff were awesome, and without a doubt the reason why I'll be going back to the Senator. When we were dealing with armloads of bags, the housekeeper got the door for us and helped us out. She also made the bed to preserve our rather strange use of bedding to split up the bed. When the bus screwed me over and I needed to stay an extra night they got a room for me again.

Everything was spanking clean. I only fuss that it wasn't very writer friendly; the room only had one chair and the outlets weren't that accessible. It did have free wi-fi, however. We ended up finding a great writer-friendly lounge nearby, though, because where Senator is located you can seriously walk to anything.

One note, the soundproofing between rooms isn't too great; showers going on in other rooms are very loud! And oh yeah, if you drive (I don't), the parking is limited. You have to double park and hand in your keys. And the fan is pretty loud.

Anyway, I'd stay again. I was pleased with the vintage quality and service... with the price and the location it certainly beats out the cons. Seeing as I'm considering going to Saskatoon next year I know where I'll be.

Room Tip: The second floor is less noisy; the rooms facing the alley are also less noisy, but have a less attr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed on a Friday night June 22nd.
I needed:
-A hotel that wasn't going to cost me a lot for one nights stay.
-A hotel located in downtown Saskatoon(so I could walk to the event I was in town for. Parking in Saskatoon is brutal my car once parked wasn't moving til I checked out)
-A hotel that provided me with a good nights sleep.

The Senator gave me what I was asking for. The desk clerk paid attention to my special request and gave me a room she thought would be very quiet and allow for me to rest up for the half marathon I was running in the morning. The room was adaquate and met my expectations. Clean room, comfy bed, and quiet. Great air conditioning too! Some might have been put off by the rather weird layout of the room, or the old looking door, or even the outdated TV. but I could care less about that. There have been some obvious updates to the room I was in and I wasn't interested in watching TV.
I should note that this hotel has a VERY small parking lot. Be prepared to double park and leave your keys at the desk. This wasn't a problem for me, but others might not like it. The desk clerk was very upfront about the parking issue and handled my concerns well.
Checkout was painless and the same clerk that checked me in the night before handled my checkout on the Saturday. She was pleasant, inquired how my run went, and I enjoyed dealing with her.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo