“A hotel with character”

Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Flin Flon, Canada
“A hotel with character”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed at The Senator on a weekend trip to Saskatoon in early November. The hotel is on a street with boutique shops, down the street from a mall (and two Starbucks), and walking distance from a number of good restaurants. Winston's, the pub attached to the hotel, is worth a visit too. The hotel's prices were reasonable compared to chain hotels, especially with a 10% CAA discount. We stayed in a basic double room, which was a bit small (by North American standards) - could be tight if you had a lot of luggage, but it was tidy and cozy. The bed was very comfortable.
My only complaint: the temperature of the water in the shower was inconsistent and switched from hot to cold suddenly 3-4 times during a ten-minute shower. This happened twice (once in the morning, once in the evening) so it seemed to be an ongoing issue. Other than the surprising shower, we both enjoyed our two nights here, and I liked staying at a hotel with some character and its own vintage elegance. I'd definitely stay at The Senator again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words and review. We pride ourselves on the historic character of the Hotel Senator. We try and keep that character while renovating and moving the property forward for guest comfort. Since you stay, we have found the issue we were having with the hot water inconsistency and have rectified it. My apologies for that. Safe travels, and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Chris Beavis

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Enjoyed the early 20th room decorations. Very warm and inviting. Service was prompt and friendly. Had Eggs Benedict----very good. Fabulous breakfast potatoes. The room was sunny. You can tell there has been lots of history in this building. I found my breakfast experience exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank K-ram2013
Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I always stay here while in Saskatoon. It's a venerable old building with charm and character, but it is not perfect. However, we prefer it to any modern hotel. The front desk staff have always been helpful, the dining room and Winston's are great, but parking is an issue. The front rooms (love Room 110) are noisy on the weekends so if you are a light sleeper, ask for a quiet room in the back of the hotel. The location is wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hastings13
Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Well, I have been back to the Senator a few times since my last review . This is "My Hotel" in Saskatoon. Sure there are lots fancier, pricier, bigger, more expensive, newer and flashier but you will not find one with more charm. More renovations have been done, the suites are well appointed and now they have interactive program guide on the TV something I really like.
Downstairs the restaurant is cosy and the food good and Winston's pub is just the place for any of you that want to try different beers.
I just can't say enough about the Senator.
One last thing for anybody having a morning meeting. No need to rush to get out by 10 or 11 as the check out time is 1:00pm.
It just gets better and better.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Al B
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I have stayed here before! I like the feel of moving back to the early part of the century, however I knew about the parking before hand and parked there before asking. Always try and ask for a double bed room they are huge compared to the single bed rooms. This is a gem in the middle of the city and it's not a generic box of a hotel, this is a turn of the century hotel with some squeaks.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We popped into the Hotel Senator for breakfast last Sunday morning. It was one of the nicest surprises! It was like going back in time to the early 1900s. The wood, the ornate carvings were beautiful. The service was outstanding, the food delicious and promptly served and the price was more than reasonable. Great place and lovely surprise

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2013

More like 3.5 stars. The hotel market in Saskatoon is dominated by the chains and the prices are exorbitant throughout the city. So, when planning for a conference, I tried to go indie and found the Senator. The prices were lower but the look from their website gave it a classy feel. So, I booked a week for conference and family time afterwards. After the trip I can say I'm pleased with the purchase, but was left with some less-then-perfect vibes from the place.

Overall, the rooms were clean although small (I prefer small, so no problem there) the beds comfortable, and bathrooms had all that one needs. The rate was on par with what one might pay in Vancouver -- high! But still less than anything else near the downtown core. I thought the prairies were cheap, but I thought wrong.

The hotel itself is a mix of opulence and decline and possible remodel? It's clear that it was once the place to be in Saskatoon. There's a marble stair case, rich wood panelling at the check-in desk and the attached restaurant is decorated in fine Edwardian style. However, it's also clear that the maintenance has slipped some time between the establishment of the place and the present. Things seemed a little shabby with loose stair steps, lots of worn furniture in the hallways and smells that seep up from the pub below which have permeated the stair wells and hallways. Rooms are remodelled and very clean and comfortable though and that's the most important thing.

The downtown location is fantastic and gives access to lots of good food and things to do in the city. I was repeatedly pleased to step from my hotel onto a street filled with shops, restaurants, and lush trees. I'm a runner and appreciated that the river is two blocks from the Senator so I found lots of trails to run and keep me entertained while there. Finally, the attached bar is very good. They have a great selection of beer, good drinks, and it has a busy friendly atmosphere. The location made a week in Saskatoon for work feel a bit more like a vacation and that alone makes the Senator worth checking out.

One area the Senator could work on is improved staffing either through training, uniforms, or replacement. The staff was unhelpful/indifferent when I was having trouble with my internet connection. They eventually allowed me to change rooms after I repeatedly complained. Overall, they were only moderately willing to help. Additionally, although I'm a pretty shaggy guy, I somehow expect people behind desks to be dressed professionally. At the Senator there were no grooming requirements which doesn't lend confidence that the people running the hotel are pros at the business.

Overall, an okay experience. I'd go back to the senator were I to make another trip to Saskatoon. But, there are lots of things the hotel could work on which would cost little and greatly improve the experience.

Room Tip: For reference, rooms on the wing above the check-in desk and the pub have good wireless connectivity...