“Not really what I expected, but did the job.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Senator Saskatoon

Hotel Senator Saskatoon
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Regina, Canada
“Not really what I expected, but did the job.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed just for one night here as I had an orientation at SIAST.
The parking was sketchy (very tight with large cement pillars and the alley itself was quite shady).
The lobby is beautiful!
Really enjoyed the history of the hotel, expecially the elevator! The big 'stick out' buttons, the rotating dial to tell you what floor the elevator is on.
Winstons was packed that night but we stared some people down and got a seat eventually. Nice appies and drinks with great service even with the amount of people there!
Room did its job. Nothing jaw dropping. A little small and cramped with a queen size bed, the side tables and desk. Fairly tight sqeeze between the foot of the bed and the 50 inch flatscreen that was dangling from the wall with the channel box sitting precariously on top (might want to find a new location for that stuff)
Bathroom was good. Shower worked good for me (just a sugestion...perhaps a grippy/sticky mat of some kind in the tub....I nearly wiped out!)
There was a georgeous dining room/resturant that we unfortunatly did not get the chance to sample.
Sad to hear there was no complementary breakfast (not even the token toast, dried out muffins, fruit and juice kinda thing).
Wonderful location.
Overall I would definatly recommend for a short stay and if you are not one of those hoity toity hotel go'ers!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ilsascarolan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lafayette, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Lobby very attractive and fun to have a good English style pub downstairs serving interesting beers! Can only check in after 3pm so don't arrive prior to that (or you could have a pint). Room was rather small especially when compared to the very wide hallways and TV did not work. That being said it is neat to stay in a historic hotel but at $132CAD it is expensive. Downtown location fantastic though. There is limited free parking behind the hotel access through the alley.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. My husband had a conference to attend and I went along to keep him company (71/2 hrs. drive each way and boring) This old Hotel has a lot of charm and has been renovated to try to keep the style. It does smell a bit old but we didn't mind.The beds and bedding comfortable and nice. It is well located so I could walk to anything downtown area and river walk. There is limited free parking a big plus downtown you need to leave your keys with the front desk in case they need to move your car??. They desk staff could have been a little more welcoming and at least give you the standard " hi welcome to the blah blah blah I hope you enjoy your stay" but they didn't .The mall was two blocks away lots of restaurants and a beauty school across the street ( you can book an appointment and get hair and beauty treatments for a very reasonable price.) We did not try the Restaurant on site (Rembrandts it looked nice but menu was a bit pricy except for breakfast) We did eat at Winston's pub on site and they had some great specials. Thursday was fish and chips or Shepherds pie for about $8-9 both were really good.

Room Tip: We booked a 212 2nd floor inside corner room with a king bed that had been renovated. I heard the ou...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DeltaDawn90
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, having had our reservation at another hotel get lost in the shuffle. We called and left a message and then panicked and I booked online (using my credit card), as it was an exceptionally busy weekend in Saskatoon and empty rooms were few and far between. We arrived and checked in, and were offered a room on the front of the hotel, away from the pub. A good choice as the pub is very busy.
The smell of the carpets on the first floor hallway is really something else, a combination of dust and mold I think. Eventually you get used to it and fortunately the room did not smell.
However, the first morning we were trying to sleep in when construction commenced on the room across the hall. Would have been helpful if they had mentioned that when we were trying to pick what part of the hotel to be in.
The room was very clean and as other reviewers have mentioned, the bed was great and the bedding fantastic. When we tried to watch the television, we could not get it to work. A visit from maintenance and we learned that the last guests must have stolen the remote control and the HDMi cable! They replaced both for us right away.
The parking situation is a bit strange, but we had no issues with leaving our keys at the desk and were grateful that other guests had left theirs when they had to move a vehicle to let us out.
We did at one point get locked out of our room. We went outside for a cigarette and had only one smoke and a lighter, no wallets or anything else. We were sent into the pub and given free drinks while they contacted maintenance to come and look at it. I think they may have offered us free food as well, but to be honest the pub food was disappointing at best and we stuck to drinks. The lock had seized but they used graphite and got it open and we did not have to change rooms (which had been mentioned as a possibility).
Our last night we were trying to get a nap in before hitting the clubs and the smoke alarm battery decided to start chirping. We did call the front desk and were told that it was too bad as the maintenance staff were off until the next day. So...we piled up a few pieces of furniture and yanked the battery (don't worry we told the desk when we checked out).
When we checked it it started to get confusing. At check in, as I had already used my credit card for a pre-auth, my card was declined. So my travel partner used his, and I was very clear that it was to be billed to mine. I was given an invoice that stated it was billed to my card. However, my friend realized that it was billed on his. A few phone calls later and it was determined that they had charged his, rather than mine. It seemed that the front desk staff were very confused and it was a real ordeal to get this information.
Would I stay there again? Probably not. Do I regret staying there? No, it was an adventure.

Room Tip: Stay away from being over top of the pub and maybe ask if they are planning renovations near your ro...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aurora C
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was hesitant to write this report. I visit Saskatoon a few times a year, and I have always wanted to stay at Hotel Senator. I love the perfect location and from the outside, it looks very special. I wanted to give it a chance and experience it for myself, even though I had read questionable reviews.

There are good things. The bed is very comfortable. The bedding is wonderful. The room is clean and charming. The furniture is quaint. The lobby is gorgeous with its lovely rich old world style. The television has satellite with more channels than I have ever had in a hotel. Which is good, because I have to have it on... loud… to drown out the noise of the pub below me and revelers outside..

I arrived at 1:00 pm on the day I was to check-in. I was told I was too early but was allowed to stow my baggage behind the front desk counter while I wandered and waited. When I returned at 3:00 pm, I was told the housekeeping had not yet informed the front desk whether my room was ready. So I sat in the lobby, in a chair facing the front desk, and I waited. 40 minutes later, I was told my room was ready.

FYI: my husband and I own a small hotel. If I had a guest waiting in my lobby for their room at 3:00 pm, I would have gone to housekeeping, myself, to ask them to prepare the room immediately. I would not stay behind a counter and wait for housekeeping to come to me. In fact I would have gone to housekeeping at 1:00 pm to tell housekeeping to prepare the room, now, before sending any guest away for 2 hours.

I had to get my bags from behind the front desk and was not offered any help from the front desk staff (I‘m a 65 yr old woman). I hoisted my bags onto the trolley and maneuvered it to the elevator. In the elevator, there was a fellow who works for the hotel. He saw I needed help and he couldn't do enough for me. He took the trolley for me, opened my room and unloaded my bags, cheerfully. Thank you sir.

There is a nice leather bound book in the night side table, with a welcome letter. It is filled with information. On the page titled "Dining and Conference Facilities “there is a section called "Room Service". It reads: “The same fine quality and service as is in our restaurant is available
to you simply by ordering Room Service. We are pleased to offer a complete array of menu choices for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or between meal snacks. Room Service is available Monday through Saturday from 8:00am until 10:00pm. Please consult the menu at the back of this directory.". Good to know! Now I can relax and don’t have to out for a meal. But, when I looked at the back of the directory, I could not find a menu. So, I went to the front desk to ask them for the Room Service Menu. I was told there is no room service menu. I mentioned the directory in my room that highlights Room Service. I was told… There is NO room service. Confusing.

Today I went to the front desk to ask for a late checkout for tomorrow. I asked for an extra hour, and explained that my flight was tomorrow evening so I would like a bit more time in the hotel if possible. I was informed that the hotel's regular check out time is 1:00 pm and so that is considered a late checkout already. She told me I could rent a day room for $75. So, no late checkout for me.

I stayed at the Sheraton Cavalier earlier this week when I asked them for a late checkout, I was pleasantly told it was no problem at all. In fact, I was asked how late I wanted to stay!

So, all in all, I knew there was a pub downstairs so I knew to expect the noise. That is not what bothers me. What bothers me is that I am leaving the hotel with an unpleasant, unsettled feeling. The front desk represents and is the essentially the "personality" of a hotel. One's first impression of a hotel is how one are treated at the front desk. I found the Hotel Senator’s front desk rather unaccommodating and inflexible. I am disappointed… and I doubt I will return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank LadyStBucks
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We only stayed one night. Parking could be a big problem, but wasn't when we were there. At least it was free. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was very cold (weather outside not at all nice), but we found a little heater in the closet and it really did the trick. This place was not cheap - nothing in Saskatoon is cheap - but the location was very nice for being downtown. We ate at the pub downstairs and had a good meal and it was really hopping - which was fun for a couple of old gomers!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jangenejones
Regina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Never a dull moment. Parking was interesting, I was a little uncertain about leaving our keys for the car but it seemed legitimate. We had left the room for most of the night to visit three bars and enjoy the night life. Came back rather late, and just as we tucked into bed the night crew knocked on our door because our toilet was leaking into the bar below. We were given another room and moved our stuff (this was 1am... That sucked, but more because we had an early check out ahead and were already in pj's). All in all, the price was right and it was charming. Even though it was not a chain hotel fake smile and constant request to join a loyalty club - it was comfortable for a night of sleep. Wished we had been able to stay the whole weekend and try the restaurant below. Winston's was packed so we missed out on a fireplace and appies as we had planned - but probably a good thing if the toilet was leaking into the bar!! I can see how the hotel snob crowd would probably pick apart door locks or specks on the bed sheets - I have had worse sleeps at the Sheraton. All in all, I think my friend and I marvelled at the history and amazing parties and gangsters that roamed the halls at one point. It doesn't need much to be a four star, but seriously if you want reward points and a mint and quiet and a pristine experience - you likely already have made the booking at a chain. Go out on a limb, leave the kidlets at home, and enjoy a little history. You can starch your undies when you get home!! This is a great place for a girls night out, a non-pretentious couple, or a quick pit stop between destinations. The beds were super comfy. We did not white glove the furniture, but it was spotless from what we could see. That's all, I would probably come back but will make sure to not be surprised if the old building ills make something not awesome. Screw the wi-fi and get your butt outside to talk to people, listen to a busker, or just soak in the saskie wildlife. Also, bring some room on your credit card for a deposit. I do not fault hotels in smaller chains for doing this, I can see why it's needed. But if you need to complain, that's your right as well. See you later, Hotel Senator.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Hi and thank you for your review! Really appreciate your feedback and honest review. We are always trying to improve our hotel (leaking toilet was plugged and fixed day after) and restaurants and feedback good and bad is important to listen to. Really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again someday. Safe travels!

Chris Beavis