“Great stay - great location - great value”

Hotel Senator Saskatoon
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Winnipeg
“Great stay - great location - great value”
Reviewed 1 September 2009

My room was newly renovated and very clean and quiet. The bed was probably the most comfortable I have slept in a hotel. (I travel on business a lot.) The pillows were actually comfy home style pillows. The location is great. I was within a short walking distance of many great restaurants and pubs, (and Starbucks) I found Irene at the front desk to be extremely cheerful and helpful. This is not a generic chain hotel and those expecting a chrome and glass aquarium should probably choose a different hotel. I found it charming with a very decent restaurant and a great pub right on site. There seems to be a commitment ongoing renovation in the place which I hope on day will include keying the outside doors to the room locks. I was a very minor inconvenience to tap on the door and be let in by the night desk clerk but it would be great to someday marry the old school charm of the place with this technical convenience. But I guess in the end the free wi fi makes up for it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
tianwutank
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Right downtown, the Senator makes for a great stay, with shops, pubs, and restaurants all around.

Edmonton
Reviewed 1 September 2009

The staff was lovely, the rooms were spacious, clean, and the beds were super comfy.

Seattle
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I found it interesting that every room is modeled a little bit differantly. I had friends in other rooms and each was differant in decore as well as size and shape. The beds were amazingly comfortable the staff at the front desk were wonderfully helpful and always able to answer any questions I might have.

Reigh01
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I just stayed at the Hotel Senator for the duration of a workshop I attended in Saskatoon. The building itself is very nicely done up, quaint might be the word... as well, the rooms are very tidy, with large windows, comfortable beds, very clean. I found the staff to be very very friendly and able to help with any requests or questions that I had during my stay. The few problems that I noticed were taken care of almost immediately, unlike some places where the "out of order" sign sits permanently in place.

The hotel has an excellent location, just two blocks from a shopping mall with all the stores/food that you would expect, a movie theatre, two Starbucks, a McDonalds, and many great restaurants (St. Tropez had great food and very friendly staff, and O'Sheas Irish Pub was where we ended up going for food most days, delicious and very reasonably priced. We also ended our days at O'Sheas.... very nice atmosphere, and a roof top patio)

regina
Reviewed 1 September 2009

a cute clean hotel right in downtown Saskatoon. Front desk staff was friendly and efficient. The rooms were clean, and the bed was comfy. The hotel is situated 2 blocks from a mall, and there are neat shops and pubs easily within walking distance. I would certainly stay again.

Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I looked over the internet and found this hotel to be not only available but relatively cheaper than others and thats why I booked it. Now I know why.

This hotel is old and the only thing majestic is their stair case decor. It is nothing like the fancy pictures that are posted on their website. To me, it was obvious that I was at a cheap hotel as soon as I entered. I dont think the hotel is inexpensive... I've stayed at hotels for half the price in Toronto and they were three times better than this one.

The front desk service was very bad in the morning and when I checked in, the lady told me that the check-in time was at 4pm when it was clearly stated in the Expedia booking that it was at 3pm. I'm not sure what the reason for it.
In contrast, the girl who works the night shift at front desk was the best service one could've expected. She helped me out with everything including giving me the hair dryer, the iron (which should've been in the room anyway since that's what their website says), and the internet access.. and delivered it to my door which was nothing I had expected after the the crappy welcome I had recieved (she should be promoted to the day job for a good impression if nothing else).

The room was noisy but having the pub downstairs, it was to be expected. I did not order any food from the hotel's restaurant so I can't give my opinion in that regard. I did order food from the Winston's pub which was a mistake as it was tasteless and they didnt know what 'take out' meant and wanted me to carry the plate and glass to my room all the way up instead of just packing it up for me O_0 . When I asked, the bartender said, "thats how we send food to people who stay at the hotel".

The room seemed clean but was extremely tiny. There was barely any light in the room... a problem that could've been solved with a lamp on both sides of the bed instead of just one. The bathroom was clean. The cable sucked and the TV was outdated and cheap branded. The air conditioning sucked and I was sweating bullets in May.

The room cleaning service is rather slow as even though I had left the room at 8 o'clock in the morning with "please clean room" sign, my turn did not come until 4 o'clock in the evening. Of course I was back and was in the shower and the cleaning had to be post-poned for the next day. The lady though did give me soap and shampoo and coffee refill which was very nice of her.

I would recommend this place if you have no other choice otherwise, run fast and don't look back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank kangaroos8
hssaskatoon, Owner, manager at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this review, 16 July 2009
We have a hotel located in the heart of downtown Saskatoon. Just checked Toronto pricing and averages around 200.00 in the downtown core. We are at $95.00 single accomodation ( We are a three star canada select property). We are continually improving our property and investing in our hotel and I think while we are doing that we are priced appropriatly (even below where we should be!) as we have had many people who are use to staying at the large chain hotels who really enjoyed our property and preffered it! It is unfortunate that this guest didn't enjoy his stay but we hope he enjoys his stay at the other hotels.