“Loved it!!”

Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Estevan
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I was a little worried when I first booked but as soon as we walked in the hotel I was very surprised! Has a very historic feel and is connected to an English pub which was very nice as well. The rooms looked outdated online but when we walked in it was extremely nice! Nice duvet's and pillows, very clean with a cute little comfy couch on one end. I was very very happy with everything. I already booked to go back again!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Vancouver
Reviewed 27 October 2009

The Senator is your best bet if you are on a budget and want to stay downtown. It's clean, centrally located, and has a neat historic feel. That being said, it is a 100 plus year old hotel, with thin walls and loud plumbing. You'll hear your neighbours and the fun, though loud bar, Winstons. If you are a light sleeper, get a room on the top floor and bring ear plugs. Otherwise, if you want to save a few bucks and stay at a place with character ... good choice.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Alberta
Reviewed 16 October 2009

This hotel is suitable for budget conscious travellers who like staying in places with some history and character. If you are looking for all the modern conveniences, then this may not be the hotel for you.

PROS:

1. Great Location - located right downtown.
2. Reasonably Priced
3. Flexible - They were able to accommodate my ~12:30 pm early check-in.
4. Late Check-Out - Check-out time is 1:00 pm, which is later than most other hotels.
5. Comfy Bed and Pillows

CONS:

1. Room Temperature - When I arrived, my room was a sauna, and the temperature knob for the radiator didn't seem to be working. When I contacted the Front Desk, they told me that they were working on replacing the heating system, and would not be fixing the old one, under which my room was operating. The Front Desk did turn the boiler off until the evening. I left the windows open all day, and by the evening, it was comfortable enough to sleep.

2. Finishing Touches - There was water damage on the ceiling, the nightstands did not have any handles on the drawers, and some of the bathroom vanity was peeling away. I also had to hold the handle on the toilet down for a bit in order for it to flush. While this was no major catastrophe, it did get a little annoying after a while. These are all simple fixes that I think would contribute to a better first impression by guests.

3. Amenities - There was no hairdryer in the room. Fortunately, I brought my own, after having read another review that described the rooms here as being similar to dorm rooms (not entirely accurate, in my opinion). Note that there are no electrical plugs in the bathroom (at least not in mine - a single room), but this is a minor incovenience as there are outlets and a mirror in the main part of the room. I also found it strange that there was only 1 bar of soap, so I had to move it from the shower to the sink until they made up my room and left another bar the next day.

OTHER:

1. Lighting - Some people might find the rooms and the building a little bit dark.
2. Service - The Front Desk staff were friendly enough. Definitely not rude, but didn't exceed my expectations either.

I didn't have any noise issues, being in a second floor room. I also did not encounter any questionable people loitering near the hotel, as some people have reported. I stayed at this hotel alone, and at no time felt unsafe.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
washington state
Reviewed 16 September 2009

This place was fantastic! The rooms are spacious, well appointed, and clean! The staff is above and beyond the normal Canadian Friendly Service! I was very, very Happy with them and will definately stay there again!

United States
Reviewed 4 September 2009

The hotel is a cozy delight in downtown Saskatoon. The bed was extremely comfortable, with fantastic sheets and blankets. The room was clean and charming. Nearby are many fine restaurants and pubs, like O'Shea's. I'd happily stay there again.

Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 1 September 2009

The hotel was great to stay in. Right downtown, very convenient. Friendly staff and comfortable rooms. I'll stay again next time I'm in town!

Winnipeg
Reviewed 1 September 2009

My room was newly renovated and very clean and quiet. The bed was probably the most comfortable I have slept in a hotel. (I travel on business a lot.) The pillows were actually comfy home style pillows. The location is great. I was within a short walking distance of many great restaurants and pubs, (and Starbucks) I found Irene at the front desk to be extremely cheerful and helpful. This is not a generic chain hotel and those expecting a chrome and glass aquarium should probably choose a different hotel. I found it charming with a very decent restaurant and a great pub right on site. There seems to be a commitment ongoing renovation in the place which I hope on day will include keying the outside doors to the room locks. I was a very minor inconvenience to tap on the door and be let in by the night desk clerk but it would be great to someday marry the old school charm of the place with this technical convenience. But I guess in the end the free wi fi makes up for it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business