“Very disappointed! Way over priced!!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saskatoon, SK
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed here many times over the years. Rooms are clean and sort of updated... brass headboards circa 1980? Old lamp no wall decor Bathrooms need upgrading!! We had a room with 2 beds... very small. There was black mold on the windows. It is more like a 2 star compared to the brand new best western!! Which is cheaper to stay at!! Very disappointed in room for the price. Oh ya took picures to support the story..

• Stayed: January 2014
JanOlson9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saskatoon, SK, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your room. We are working on our renovations now. Still to come is the guest room and lobby furniture, artwork and guest room lighting. We hope you will return and see the changes we've made.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I Have stayed at this location many times. I have had many good experiences at this hotel in the past. My last stay makes me wonder what has happened too this hotel. Fist off I booked my room's a year in advance. When we called too conform a couple months before they said that we had cancelled our rooms. We told them that they were incorrect we did not cancel our rooms, but yet it did happen. We tried too rebook our rooms, but they were full for one night. We were worried we had no place too stay the one night, they did come through and we did have our room for that night, but not with out some stress.
Then one one night in our stay i came back too the room late, and the bed was not made. The bottom sheet was half on. The top sheet was folded on the bed. the comforter was on the floor. the pillows were had no cases. sub par i would say.

The most upsetting thing in this hole experience was when we went too pay. We negotiate the rate a year in advance, we stay for a full week. and we have been staying here for years. when we went too pay our bill the first two nights were $121 (the rate we negotiated) then third night was $180, and the the fourth was $198, and the fifth was $188 and the sixth was $144. I was out raged. They told us it was based on capacity levels of all hotels in Saskatoon. when you book your stay you never know how much your going too pay. This is an out rage. It is an unethical practice, that should be regulated by the hotel commission. I do not know how they can get away with running there business this way. I travel a lot for business, and have never experienced such a travesty.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 831darrenf
JanOlson9, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saskatoon, SK, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for posting a review. I apologize for the mixup with the rooms. We do our best to provide our guests the best service possible, which I why we were able to accommodate your rooms in the end. To clarify how the pricing works, when a reservation is made the price stays the same. In this case with the reservations being made at a later date the price had increased. I'm glad that in the end we were able to correct the mistake for you.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I had booked us 2 different nights 1 before and 1 after our trip using the Stay and Park promotion. I was told I would be able to use my points to lower the cost of our 2nd night but when I went to do this at check out the front desk girl said it was impossible as this had to be done over the internet. I informed her we had phoned in previous times and able to use points, but she had no intention and was the most unfriendly front desk person I have encountered. Not even an inquiry of how our stay was when I first approached the desk, just a question of if we were leaving the bill on my cc and here is the final invoice. We have used this hotel various times in the past but no longer, there are other hotels thru Club Carlson in Saskatoon. Also the breakfast food was cheap looking and tasting, the hotel is doing some renos which is good, but feel the standards have dropped from past visits.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bmtravel63
JanOlson9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saskatoon, SK, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I would like to apologize for the unfriendly person you experienced at check out and the incorrect information you were given. Just to clear things up, you can call us directly to make your reservation using your Club Carlson points but this has to be done before you stay and can't be applied at checkout. We hope you'll give us another chance to meet or exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel this week on business. Thank god it was only one night. The sidewalk was covered in ice and dirt. There was a boil water advisory on the door. It was dirty and run down from the outside of the front door and got worse. The elevator is beaten up. the carpets in the hall are completely worn out . I got to my room and it was really musty. Everything was really worn and repairs were very shoddy. Broken lamps, worn out furniture. This was the worst hotel I have stayed at in years. An the best was that it wasn't cheap at $150.00 per night the value was terrible. Do not think of staying here.

Room Tip: choose any other hotel but this one
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
JanOlson9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saskatoon, SK, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Each item you mentioned will be followed up with the appropriate departments and I assure you we are working to make sure they are improved on.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

The stay started on the wrong note when we saw a bus full of noisy kids in the foyer and our room was only 3 doors away. I asked for a room on another floor but they were sold out. Surprisingly enough I did sleep but I often wonder why people would let kids jump on beds and run in hallways in hotels. That did happen above us. The team must have been tired because they all went to bed at a decent hour. The hotel room we were in needed upgrading, the carpet and walls were tired. Unfortunately did find a used condom wrapper in full view between the bed and beside table. The king bed was comfortable, the water was hot in the shower. It just wasn't an awesome experience but nothing that I could complain about loudly. I just don't think we will be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rinn2girls
JanOlson9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saskatoon, SK, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I apologize for the room cleanliness and I assure you this will be taken care of right away. Also, we are in the middle of a renovation plan. We have already replaced draperies, tvs, guest room carpets and painted guest room walls to name a few things. Still to come is lobby and guest room furniture, artwork and guest room lighting. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to improve our operations.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed here in January/13 and, again in Oct/13. I had written them complaints about the January visit (among other things, not enough parking places with plug ins when it is -30). In fairness, they offered me 50% off my next stay. So I stayed 2 nights in October and they were as good as their word about the 50%. The stay was ok but they seem understaffed and the staff appear sullen and fixated on their computer screens. The only friendly folks I met were the cleaning staff. One day I left my room at mid-day. I had put a do not disturb: card in my door while I worked. When I came back about 7PM my room had not been done up. I pointed this out to the desk clerk who said that if I put a do not disturb card in the door in the morning they would not clean the room that day. When I asked if someone cold give it a quick going over, the clerk said that she had never cleaned a room in her life and did not intend to start now. My last morning the wi-fi was down. When I pointed this out the two staff behind the desk said they were really busy - though one did say "sorry". There are lots of other hotels in this area and in the same price range - in future I'll try the others.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank RonTSmithers_B_C_
JanOlson9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saskatoon, SK, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your stay. We're glad that you chose to stay with us again and I'm sorry that you left without a friendly feeling from our front office associates and for the miscommunication with housekeeping regarding your room being cleaned. Thank you for the feedback, we will use it to improve going forward.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I went to a concert in Saskatoon and only needed one night to stay. I enjoyed that they had 3PM check in & 12PM check out the next day. This gave us time to relax before going out. The bed was very comfortable and the hotel was very quite. They provide a hot breakfast in the morning. Great selection of foods but like any breakfast you need to be up early to enjoy the hot items as they were all gone. They have unlimited coffee, fruit & cookies at the front for guest to enjoy at all hours. You could tell that the hotel was older, but the renovations they did and the upgrades they had were very pleasant. Made me feel very comfortable. Although this isn't a fancy hotel, it was a very nice stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to find time to relax. We look forward to your future stays with us!