“Profit VS Compassion”

Heritage Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
“Profit VS Compassion”
Reviewed 15 January 2009

My daughter was born with a jaw problem. This past Tuesday after years of surgeries, braces, hooks..... they did the last surgery which consisted of breaking, moving, and wiring her jaw in place. We were given a few weeks notice and called 15 hotels before finding the heritage Inn and getting a room. One of the nurses in ICU gave me a form which had been filled out along with a copy of hotels that offered special rates for hospital stays. This was great as her orthodontist surgeries and braces are not covered. I had just spent 2800.00 for this last surgery. Upon arriving back to the hotel I talked to the manager and was told that he did not have to honor that discount rate. It seems that the reason we had so much trouble getting a room was that Saskatoon is holding skate canada. He told me that he had already given out corporate rates and that the hospital rate fell into that category and if I wanted to come back next week... I understand that hotels have a certain amount of rooms set aside for special rates. I also understand that opening up a new room at the same rate is at the discreation of the manager. I have a friend who has been in the hotel/motel management for 15 yrs. They could have helped us out, or if not by room but they could have offered meal vouchers....There is always something they can do.

• Liked — close to hospital
  • Disliked — The uncaring attitude, AND.. I have celiac disease and kitchen would not accomadate.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank msblackeyes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Alberta
Reviewed 29 December 2008

I checked out this morning December 28th, 2008. I stayed friday and saturday nights. I did have a late checkin on friday.
My husband, 2 daughters and mini dashound were in my party,
When I entered the room, I saw we only had 1 bath towel and 1 facecloth, I easily remedied it by getting 4 bath towels at the front desk. (no hotel toiletries etc)
In the morning I noticed that the bed cover on the bed my kids slept in had urine stains all over it, I was beyond appalled knowing my children slept in that!
As we were leaving for the day I stopped at the front desk and asked for them to be changed.
Upon arriving back after midnight, I did see the bedding had been changed and garbage had been emptied, nothing else in the room had been done. No replacement towels, no coffee or cups, ashtrays were still dirty, I dont think the washroom was cleaned.
I feel that I at the very least deserved a apology for the conditions that I encountered, when I mentioned again the conditions of the bedding I actually had no response, she just wanted to check me out and have me gone.

• Liked — pet friendly with a $10 charge per night
  • Disliked — URINE stains on bedding
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank AlbertaMom2
Winnipeg
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We needed a hotel close to airport with a reasonable rate. We were arriving late from airport. From reading other reviews there are some negative comments. Yes this is an older hotel and shows its age in some aspects. However, we had a clean and comfortable room and the other areas of the hotel we saw were clean as well. Check in was fast and the staff was great. I especially enjoyed breakfast. Coffee was good, the menu was reasonably priced and the choices were great. An example they offered yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, muffins and a variety of other breakfast choices. Having had my own restaurant I thought they offered a good variety for individuals that may be trying to maintain healthier eating habits while travelling. I appreciated the options. Our waitress was attentive and pleasant. The rate was better then what we would have paid at a Super 8 or Days INN and it offered us as clean, quiet accomodations with the convenience of the restaurant. If your hotel needs to have alot of stars in its rating, this may not be the hotel for you. But we enjoyed our stay and will go back again.

• Liked — CLose to airport, good rates, clean and comfortable
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2008

We've been staying at this hotel for years and have always been pleased with the service and accommodations. After our last stay we will never return. The hotel is just looking very rundown. The rooms need updating, especially the bathrooms. The sink was all cracked and stained. Throughout the night all you could hear was doors opening and closing and people running up and down the hallways. There were teens drinking and smoking in the hallway, talking very loudly and swearing. After awhile we called the front desk and told them what was going on. They said they already new because they had already received a few complaints. Apparently, these kids were running up and down the stairwells to go outside to smoke and just loiter around. One of them had a room and the rest were just "visiting". They were just told to basically keep the noise down and that was it. After about 15 minutes of quiet it all started up again. Nothing was done. Obviously, this hotel does not care about losing customers because we will never be back and will never recommend this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2008
Reviewed 31 May 2008

I've stayed at the Heritage Inn at least 5 times in the past few years, usually for a sports tournament with my kids. Yes, the decor is kinda tired and the pool kinda small, but it's clean and the service is second to none. The people there bend over backwards to accomodate you and your particular needs, whether it's supplying an equipment room for a dozen stinky hockey bags or letting us use the dining room for a pizza supper (pizza that we purchased elsewhere). I've stayed in Saskatoon hotels for about $50 per night more and not received the kind of service I do every time I return to the Heritage. Also, they are team friendly. I'm sure people travelling without kids don't appreciate it, but the management doesn't get too uptight about a little noise in the halls (not too late though).

• Liked — service
  • Stayed May 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on a business trip. The one good thing about this hotel is that it is a 2 minute drive from Saskatoon Airport. So if you are in town for a quick meeting, you can get in and out of town quickly. Otherwise, there really is not much to recommend this property. Here's a partial list of irritations:

1. the front desk actually gave me a router (complete in its cardboard box!) with three cables, that I had to install in my room, in order to get internet service. I'm not kidding.

2. From the lobby, guests need to descend a flight of stairs to get to the elevators. Not very friendly for people with disabilities.

3. The hotel meeting rooms can only be accessed by walking through the hotel restaurant, taking in the smell of food, and all the gaudy 1980s restaurant decor and coordinated 1980s music.

4. Upon check-out, the front-desk printer had run out of ink. I was handed a blank piece of white paper, and told that my charges were listed on it. I asked for a re-print, but in the absence of a spare ink cartridge anywhere in the hotel, the attendant vigorously shook the old cartridge, reprinted my charges, and gave me another blank piece of paper.

5. Overall, the room and hotel decor and furnishings are stuck in a 1970s / 1980s hybrid combo. Is that what they meant by "heritage"?

Saskatoon is a growing, interesting town, and there are many better places to stay than this hotel.

• Liked — Room was relatively clean.
  • Disliked — Needs an overall thorough upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2008

I travel through Saskatchewan alot for my work and my company has a limit to what I am supposed to spend and the Heritage Inn Saskatoon has one of the cheapest corporate rates in that city. Not only do they have a cheaper corporate rate, they have an even cheaper rate if you book online (as I did!) as an incentive to check out their website and all they had to offer. I knew that the Heritage Inn existed but I didn't know that they are a full service hotel that offers all the amenities as the hotel across the street! It is true that it is a little out dated (decor, furniture, etc) but the price is appropriate for the condition the hotel was in. I was on the 5th floor which has a security feature lock which really made me feel safe as a single female traveller in the biggest city in Saskatchewan (I grew up on a farm). Not only did i feel safe, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable and the girls in the restaurant are a hoot! They have amazing daily breakfast specials. The hot tub was warm but i didnt' go in th pool, it looked clean though. It was cold after coming out of the pool entrance however, because of a back door which is right there. The lounge is very cute and quiet and the name "My Apartment" is quite appropriate because it is very cozy!

• Liked — The food, location, staff
  • Disliked — slightly out dated, not enough room to put my things in the bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business