“Not as Bad as I Thought it Would be”
Review of Ramada Saskatoon

Ramada Saskatoon
Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Full disclosure, I hate Ramada. I think they are way too expensive for what you get. I don't mind staying somewhere shabby, but to pay a premium for shabbiness rubs me the wrong way. So while the stay was actually pretty good, I'm still irked it cost as much as it did.

Anyway, the location isn't the greatest, kind of a sketchy area but we didn't have any problems. The hotel has a security guard on duty which is both comforting and unsettling. The exterior looks like it was built in the 60's but to give credit where credit is due, the interior has been renovated and it looks quite nice.

Our room was decent with surprisingly comfortable beds. The bathroom was small but really, how much space do you need? Like all Ramada's, there was obvious wear and tear and some cheapness to the materials etc., but really, it was quite nice overall. I'm also not a super huge fan of their climate control system (window mounted) but it worked pretty good.

This hotel allows pets and the staff are very accommodating. If your dog is barking, they'll phone you which is super appreciated. The free snack station on Christmas day was a nice touch as well.

This is a pretty standard hotel and I actually wouldn't mind staying here again if only they would price it for the downmarket brand that it is. That might sound harsh, but when I can pay the same price of the Holiday Inn Express up the road, why would I come back?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Our company party is held here every year and every year they are doing some kind of repair or renovation.

This final visit, as with all visits, I brought my 4 year old so he could swim in the pool but yet again the pool could not be used because this time it was being cleaned. The last time, the pool could not be heated an was ice cold.

The pool area is closed between 11:00PM & 7:00AM, why can it not be cleaned then??? At least the whirlpool was available but when I stepped in I found it was WAAAY too hot for an adult let alone a 4year old.

The hotel looks very nice with the renovations that have been done, but for Christ sake, finish up already!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Murray W, General Manager at Ramada Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your comments, and I understand your frustration with the constant renovation projects. Our hotel, like most hotel properties in the city of Saskatoon, are continually reinvesting capital dollars back into their properties in order to provide the most up to date, contemporary and most appealing facility possible.
I do apologize that the swimming pool area was not 100% ready, and I genuinely hope that you will give us another chance to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Our ringette team stayed at the Ramada Nov 7-10. The hotel has been recently remodeled and is beautifully done. The rooms are very comfortable and large and the lobby is modern and welcoming. The front desk staff was every organized and accommodating and even sent up cases of water to our team room. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant was buffet style - lots of choices and average quality (what you would expect from a hotel buffet). The only issue we had was with the location. Since our team is made up of teenage girls, we were concerned about the downtown location especially after being approached by several people in the parking lot looking for money, and then two men in the hotel hallway looking asking where the party was, and then being "filmed" on a drunk man's phone while the parents were in the bar (he was subsequently thrown out). I'm not sure we would stay here again just due to the concern with security of our players. It's a shame since the hotel itself and the service was great.

PS - forgot to mention that the fitness room was removed in the renovation. With the location being a concern, it would have been nice to have the option to work out inside the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. It was nice to read the mostly positive review, and I apologize for unnecessary annoyances that you had also noted.
We work very hard to ensure our guests safety and security, and we take this responsibility very seriously.
Perhaps, on your next visit we may be able to plan a group activity for your team, in our Golf Dome,
which is connected to the hotel via indoor walkway.
We value your business, and look forward to another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, but my most recent stay (Oct 2013) was disappointing.
We stayed here to attend a concert. After checking in, we (my husband and I) had about an hour and a half before we had to leave for the concert. We decided to go to the Lounge to grab a bite to eat. There were only a handful of people in there, and the service was terrible. After 20 minutes of sitting there and not being acknowledged, I went up to the bar to ask for a menu. The waitress gave me one and I pointed out where we were sitting (even though it was obvious because there weren't many people in there...hint hint!) When she finally came over to take our order, we told her we only had about an hour, and asked what we could order that would be the fastest. She suggested Nachos. We were okay with that, and asked how long it would take....she said about an hour. What!?! An hour for nachos???? We ended up walking out and having snacks at the concert.
When we returned from the concert, the hotel was full of loud, drunk people in the lobby, elevator, and hallways. I may have had a few drinks too, but I was still respectful of others. We also learned upon our return that our room was right above their nightclub. For the next few hours, I got to listen to pounding music and loud fights/screeching car tires outside our window.
I like the hotel, but the next time I stay there for a concert I will be sure to grab a bite to eat before checking in, and I will request a room far away from the night club!
(FYI, I've never had these problems in 8+ stays before, so I'm hoping these are isolated incidents!)

Room Tip: Avoid anywhere near the nightclub!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read your comments, and I apologize for the unacceptable service levels in the lounge. Since your last stay, we have made a management and supervisory change in this area, and I can assure you that service, and attention to detail are a top priority.
I want you to know that we truly do value you as our guest, and I would be pleased to make your next reservation personally, the next time you are in the Saskatoon area.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I normally would not choose to stay at a Ramada as it isn't in my hotel reward programs but due to my choices being sold out I selected the Ramada Saskatoon. I was pleased to find that hotel was newly renovated and my room was quite pleasant with a nice comfortable bed and large flat screen TV. The bathroom was nice and clean and the shower hot (important this time of year). The thermostat worked well too.

The location is too far to walk to Central Business District this time of year so plan on taking a taxi if you don't have a rental car. Otherwise, this is a good choice for business travel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business