“Best kept secret in Saskatoon”
Review of The James Hotel

The James Hotel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
“Best kept secret in Saskatoon”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I've stayed here for business twice now and will never stay anywhere else in Saskatoon. Service and ambiance are amazing. Rooms are very comfortable. Best sheets you'll ever sleep on. Breakfast is the best I've ever had in a hotel.

I've provided a rating of 4 out of 5 only because the walls are quite thin. I could hear every door closing (slamming) near my room as well as conversations in the hall. However, everything else about this hotel more than made up for that.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SK_Sun_Girl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Flin Flon
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Benedict suite a second time (I said Roderick by accident in last review) and it was lovely. Great service, good fitness area and room service. I haven't gone down to the lounge yet but will next stay. For breakfast Chef was making quesadillas and made me "her favourite" -- so delicious! The breakfasts are great there and the wait staff are a cut above when it comes to service.

• Stayed April 2014
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed in a one bedroom room when I was in Saskatoon for a surgery. I thought that because of the great reviews, this hotel would be a good sanctuary. Before I left for the surgery I called the front and asked them to put 4 extra pillows in the room as I needed to elevate my leg. They told me this wouldn't be a problem and they'd do it right away. When we got back from the surgery a couple hours lapsed, the room wasn't clean and the pillows weren't there. My husband called down right away and they said the pillows would be up right away. He called again a hour and a half later and finally after that they came up. To me that wasn't acceptable service. I also wasn't impressed with the room service menu. I'm a Celiac and therefore need to eat gluten free. The only option they told me that was available to me was the fish. Usually there are several options. When they did bring up our food they didn't bring the water we requested, and needed to go back. Other than these issues our stay was fine. The view was great and the bed was very comfortable. I would hesitate to stay here again due to the service.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Erin G
Shellbrook, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The James has become our place to stay when in Saskatoon. The staff are friendly, accommodating and on most occasions call you by name from arrival until departure. There is always an extra effort made to ensure a great stay. The lounge provides a relaxing quiet atmosphere with very friendly staff. The breakfast served on the second floor is always good. From being greeted by the chef to the quality of food. Rooms are neat and tidy. The king size beds with high thread count sheets provide for true comfort. We always look forward to our next stay at "The James." Roger M

Room Tip: The River View is amazing.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Corinne L, Manager at The James Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thanks for the great review of your James experience! We've recently re-vamped our breakfast offering and it's been received very well, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! In particular, we appreciate your compliments of our staff - our greatest asset! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I recently stayed at the James Hotel in Saskatoon , Sk . From the first steps in the door we knew it would be a good experience . The doorman held open the door , the checkin with a very friendly clerk was quick and efficient and the lobby was very clean . We were greeted in our room with a card from the manager welcoming us and a chocolate sucker with it . Our room was a river view , which you could see from a balcony in the sitting area or laying in a extremely comfortable king size bed . On our bedside table were 2 delicious little cupcakes for bedtime . The bathroom was spotless , the toiletries very high quality and the bath towels were bath sheets . The room also has a Keurig coffee machine for a fresh morning Joe . We spent the evening in the quaint lounge downstairs where the service was top notch . Great Stay !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Corinne L, Manager at The James Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your story regarding your recent visit to The James. The best compliment we can receive is that the service provided by our team is what made your visit a memorable one. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to hosting another stay for you soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The James is a small hotel in a small city, but a nonetheless an inviting place to stay.

The room I had felt almost like an apartment flat, but the use of space was not optimal. There is a wide entrance hall and a full-sized living room with porch. But the bedroom is a bit tight on space, with the large and comfortable bed taking up 85% of the area. Bathroom was fine, with Occitanne lemon verbena amenities. (Personally, far from my favourite.)

During my stay, housekeeping committed an error regarding a request I had made. When this was brought to the attention of the front desk, they were terribly sorry, and tried any which way to compensate me for the mix up. After trying one thing after another, they finally found a way to make it up to me on the third attempt. While I was not terribly pleased with the error, the way management tried to make things better was quite endearing, and could only be found at a small boutique hotel like this one.

The James is located on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River which offers very nice views from the room I stayed in. Although the cold temperatures didn’t allow me to stay outside for too long, the riverside park would look to be a nice place for a stroll during the spring and summer. During the winter, the lobby’s fireplace is a much more snug place to spend free time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Swift Current, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The staff and facility are second to none. From the time you arrive until you have your breakfast in the morning was a great experience. The rooms are spacious with lots of natural light and the bathrooms are great. The beds are the best I have slept on and the view of the river is great!

Room Tip: Depending on your requirements the studio with a river view is a great room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business