“Exceptional stay!”
Review of The James Hotel

The James Hotel
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Spent 3 nights at the James at the end of July. We had one of the studio suites with a separation between the bed and living room area. It also had a balcony overlooking the river. This was an extremely comfortable room and I'd rate it up with some of the finer hotels I've stayed at in much large cities around the US. the staff we encountered during our stay we're all very friendly and helpful land the breakfast included with the stay was freshly prepared and delicious. The bed was super comfortable. Also loved having a Keurig coffee machine in the suite. I highly recommend The James for anyone staying in Saskatoon and would stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed at the James on Saturday July 26th. The service was attentive, warm and thoughtful. I felt pampered by the staff. As a lone traveller I really appreciated this.

Check in was quick, parking is just outside the main entrance, and my room was modern and clean. My view sucked as it was of air exchange units and a parking lot, but I didn't expect one so I wasn't disappointed. I was just happy I had large windows that let in lots of light. The bed was super comfy, although their pillows are on the softer side which I'm not a fan of. During the night I could hear a bit of noise (water running thru pipes, doors opening and closing), but I don't think it was anything excessive or out of the ordinary for a hotel. I did take advantage of the deep soaker tub in the bathroom where the only negative thing about my room was. The bathroom was so small that the door could not open fully and hit the toilet. I found this very annoying, but other than that I was pleased with my accommodations.

The property is located right by the pathway system along the river. As a runner I found the hotel location perfect as I was able to start off my Sunday morning with a great run with some lovely scenery. When I got back to the hotel (all sweaty and exhausted) the desk employee took one look at me and asked if I would like some water and then went to get me an ice cold bottle of Dasani. Talk about service! After my run I enjoyed an impressive hot breakfast (no stale toast and old fruit at this place) of delicious sweet potato corn hash, fresh made omelette, fresh fruit, coffee and home made juice. The staff running the breakfast room were wonderful, and the lady making omelettes was especially friendly. Again I was very impressed.

Room Tip: If you absolutely need a nice view make sure to request a high floor with a room facing the river.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SaskTina
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend for our anniversary, and it was pretty damn nice. And I know my last review said the best bed ever was at the Marriott, but I'll admit it here -- I was wrong. The best bed ever is here, at the James Hotel. I even tried to figure out if there was a way I could possibly steal the thing (though that may have been because of the delicious cocktails served in the bar downstairs, making my judgement wobbly. How were they so good, James Hotel? HOW?).

The reason I don't give this place five stars? Well - despite the bed, the cocktails, the delicious afternoon dessert and the outstanding breakfast, there were a couple of things that just kinda bugged me.

1) River-view room.
Because we were staying for a couple of nights, we paid a little extra for a river-view room. I imagine if you're up higher than the 6th floor, the view of the river would be quite lovely. Alas, we were on the 4th floor -- and you really, honestly can't even see it from there. Not a huge thing, but as the plan was to sip champagne while looking at the view, it was a bit of a bummer.

2) The in-room noise.
It was genuinely weird to me how much I heard from other rooms -- water from the room next to us, hallway noise etc. I'm not talking conversations from adjoining rooms, but it was just surprising to me how much I *could* hear.

3) The packages.
My husband called to ask if we could get one of the special package deals they do at the hotel - and we wanted a river-view room. (Special occasion, see above). Alas, we could only get a package if we switched rooms halfway through our stay or swapped to a city-view room, neither of which we wanted to do. So that was a bummer also.

When I read other reviews of people picking on such niggly little details as these, I tend to ignore them. And that's fine. They are tiny details that, had it been a business trip or whatever, would not have bothered me in the least. And it's not like this ruined our getaway or anything, I'm just putting it out there for y'all.

And really, if you're looking for a place to stay in Saskatoon, this place is pretty darn wonderful and is close to loads of awesome eateries and bars.

Room Tip: If you want an actual river view, ask for something above the 4th floor. Not sure how high you'l...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The James has set a new standard for this province. I had the smallest room that faces the river and it was gorgeous, trendy and clean. A tiny bathroom was the only drawback. I will be searching endlessly to try and buy those sheets. Everything outstanding and well thought out (tip of the hat to the designers, builders and owners) including the fantastic breakfast and staff. All manner of breakfast items including made-to-order eggs benny created for you by a chef in a comfortable breakfast room. First time I've tried cold oatmeal - delicious. Did I mention the sheets? Will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just got back from a week in Saskatoon and thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the James. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. Enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast and the variety they offered. I also appreciate the complimentary Wi-Fi access, parking and bottled water. The location is perfect. I will bring my exercise gear the next time I am there. Can't wait to enjoy the neighborhood and the river view. It is a first class boutique hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a revamped apartment building that is very old and the tenants used to smoke in their rooms. Thus the old air handling system has smoke in the ducts that permeates the rooms.

The rooms are newly renovated and nicely appointed but the smoke smell is still very noticeable

The hotel faces Spadina on the rooms over looking the river, and this is the street all the Harley Davidson motor cycles cruise on, so if you want a quiet room ask for one that faces the back parking lot

Staff are great and friendly

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Dennis H
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The James staff were fantastic from the moment we arrived. They truly know how to add a special touch to your experience as a guest! The hotel is clean, fresh, modern and comfortable. Our room was fantastic; bright, clean and huge with an amazing bed and luxurious bathroom. Breakfast in the morning featured tons of options and everything was fresh and appetizing, our only issue was deciding what to eat!

We are already recommending this hotel to our friends and family; if you visit Saskatoon, it is THE place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple