“Best place for breakfast.”

Poached Breakfast Bistro
Ranked #12 of 708 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Cuisines: European, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast restaurant in the same building as Flint Saloon in the evenings
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I loved this place very much. Jazz music in the back ground and the food was excellent. I can not stop raving about this place. The best restaurant I have eaten at in a long time. If you go once you will not be disappointed and come back for more

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I love going to Poached! Nice atmosphere and always a great breakfast. Especially good if you're looking for good coffee and something more than a greasy spoon breakfast. Flavours on the menu change regularly, but whether you want sweet or savoury, you're sure to find something you'll like: from poached eggs over asparagus to crab cakes, eggs benedict, french toast and crepes all regularly featured on the menu. If you're not sure what to get, the standard breakfast plate is a safe bet: eggs your way, bagel/toast, herbed butter, potato croquettes, bacon roll-ups (or choice of other meat) and spinach salad with goat cheese. The bacon rollups and other tasty things can be ordered as side extras. If you don't get there early expect to wait.

1  Thank PrairieBigSky
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Poached is absolutely off our list. A darn shame. As a foodie and former restaurant owner (guide to Best Places in the NW!), husband and I will no longer support a place who says "if you get here NOW" to a request to have an expensive brunch with bubbly for my birthday and who turns my daughter down after she phoned from Seattle to put brunch for 2!! on her credit card for Mother's Day and who turned my husband and I away at the door (a huge slight to very familiar and frequent customers). When you can, you should make it work - somehow. That's NOT the motto at poached and though the brunch was a lovely thing, we now frequent the Hollows who truly care about creativity and customers - quality is #1. Try there for brunch. You will definitely be back!

2  Thank Krazed4koots
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We dropped by Poached this morning for a late brunch. We arrived half an hour before they closed the lunch service -- a little right, I would agree -- and were given a rude brush off at the door. (Poached is transformed into a dining room for the evening.) I do not mind seeing a "Closed" sign in the window, even if folks are still inside. But in the absence of a sign, and being there before closing, we would have appreciated being treated a little better. We had heard good things about the restaurant, but will be hard pressed to consider trying it again.

By the way, reviews on other sites are much less positive that the TripAdvisor reviews. A fair percentage of them raised questions about the service.

1  Thank Ken C
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Our god-daughter was coming off a night shift in emergency at City Hosp. and suggested we meet her and her husband here for a breakfast visit before we headed onward to Edmonton. Located in what appears to be a neighbourhood in transition from grunge on its way to upscale the exterior has no appeal at all. However, that all changes once you walk through the door. There are heavy curtains just inside the entrance that you have to part to gain entry into the truly unexpected. The space is long and narrow with tables and booths along the wall to your right. The tables are covered in heavy, pristine white linen and attractively set complete with wine glasses and heavy white linen napkins. I felt like I was entering a French bistro. The front section was full so went to the rear section located up a couple of steps. The whole place is drenched in atmosphere and the menu features a list for breakfast that is fresh and intriguing... I've never seen so many variations of eggs benedict. The service was adequate but in fairness the place was busy and really a lot to ask of two servers...one more would have made quite a difference. My only complaint was the overpriced coffee...imajine a refill charge of $2 for each refill! In the evening this place turns into a tapas bar and I suspect the ambience is totally different but certainly full marks to the owners for catching both markets. The washrooms, located in the basement, are down a steep flight of stairs and so are not wheelchair accessible. This place is worth getting up and going out to breakfast for so give it a try sometime.

1  Thank Roy C