“Not Worth The Money”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I recently stayed 5 nights here during the CCMA's. The location is great if you are attending any events that take place at the TCU Centre as it is across the street. For a new building the parking structure was horrible. Very low and narrow. It has a wonderful lobby great for socializing and mingling. There is no little gift shop. We ate in the restaurant 2 times - slow service both times and a very limited menu. The food was okay, nothing wonderful. We dropped into the lounge a few times and the serivce was horrible. Had to go looking for someone to take our drink order and the same when we wanted to pay and leave. The room was nice and well stocked. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and must be well built as we were not bothered by any noise in the hallway or above us. The only reason I would never come back is the price - way too expensive! We got some sort of a "special" rate for the convention (same as the CAA rate) and it was close to $1300.00 for the 5 nights (that is just room and tax as we didn't charge anything else to the room). There is no room service and the menu in the restaurant is very limited. The only reason I would never stay here again is the rates are too high and the service was not great. You need your room key to operate the elevator - what a pain that was!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank RiverManitobaCanada
Brent A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the new Holiday Inn Saskatoon. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time in our beautiful city and all the festivities around the CCMA's. It is always helpful to gain feedback, good or bad, from our guests. Your feedback will allow me the opportunity to reinforce the great job our staff is doing, as well as train and coach to those areas that aren't meeting the expectations of our guests. I will take this opportunity to address some of your concerns. 1.) Parking Garage. We have discovered that on occasion the parking garage can feel overly tight when at capacity or at times when filled with larger sized vehicles (ie: trucks & vans). 2.) The Lobby. We are very excited to have Canada's first Hub at Holiday Inn. The Hub at Holiday Inn is a new concept to the Holiday Inn chain that incorporates a spacious, open floor plan, food and beverage options and an atmosphere conducive to connecting with colleagues, friends and family. 3.) The Rooms. A good night sleep in a comfortable room is the ultimate goal for our guests. I'm especially glad you were able to do this during the fun and frevolity of the CCMA's. 4.) The Hub Restaurant & Lounge. Options in menu items are always evolving with the comments made by our guest. The new menu in our "Hub" concept is designed to cater to broad audience with a variety of comfort foods great for sharing. A busy time, like the CCMA's, keeps our staff on their toes. Knowing that your service was slower than expected gives us a great opportunity to continue to evaluate, coach and build on efficiency. 5.) The Rate. Although rates flucuate with the supply and demand in the hospitality industry. We hope that our new, modern hotel with innovative concepts like "The Hub at Holiday Inn" will continue make people happy when they are travelling for business or pleasure. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience at the Holiday Inn and Saskatoon.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

This is a new, modern, and clean hotel. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are some of the best I've ever seen. However for a premium price you need more than just pretty rooms.

During our stay there was something going on in their conference room on the 11th floor. As a result they had one of their two elevators dedicated to the guests going to the 11th. Whenever we used the elevators we were made to feel as though we were inconveinencing the staff!

There is no room service but you can go pick up your own food from the restaurant downstairs. This is fine if it wasn't for the aforementioned elevator fiasco!

My wife and I were bothered by some unsavory individuals on two seperate occasion right in front of the hotel. The downtown location in convenient but requires more security.

The rooms are beautiful however when you put the whole package together I feel there is better value available at the Sheraton.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank DWickstrom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is a nice new hotel, very modern. You needed your room key for pretty much anything. Great security. Driving up the parkade to the covered parking lot, it was very tight fitting (we hit our mirror on our truck) and also very steep. Winter might be a challenge. The staff was awesome, very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sloany1
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. The room was fantastic, quite large and everything seemed new. The bed was very comfortable and there was both soft and firm pillows. The bathroom was spacious and the shower had great pressure. There is a very large tv with a large selection of HD channels. Check in and check out were efficient and friendly. The lounge was comfortable and the restaurant was very good. There are booths in the restaurant that have tv's which is great for the kids. The breakfast was very good. It's not free but they give you three choices of breakfast and All of them were great. There is a free secure parkade attached to the hotel. I have stayed at almost every hotel in downtown Saskatoon and this one has now become my #1 choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank wolfden
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I have stayed here twice so far and each time the rooms have been beautiful, clean and have exceeded my expectations. Location is directly across from TCU Place on Pacific Avenue and 22nd Street. Free, secure access high-rise parking is directly beneath the hotel (the hotel is above the parkade). I will stay at this hotel every time I stay in Saskatoon. Better than The Radisson and The Bessborough, at a fraction of the cost! If you book through www.booking.com you will receive aeroplan OR airmiles rewards. My rate for a king bed was $162 and I received 500 aeroplan points! Only fault is that the swimming pool is currently under renovation (August 10 2012).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lds124
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Loved my stay here. The room was spacious, very clean and smelled wonderful (so perhaps not great for those with scent allergies). Large soaker tub, stand up shower and European style sinks in the bathroom were a nice addition to the room. There were a large selection of tv channels , which was great for my little one. The bed was spectacular. Mattress and bedding were super comfortable which led to a great sleep. The only cons were the front desk staff took their time acknowledging the fact I was standing at the desk waiting to check in (annoying) but were very friendly and helpful afterward. It was also very expensive. I would have no problem staying here again.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TravelingT137
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I'd rank this hotel in the top ten that I've stayed in over the past couple of years. Ultra modern, very spacious room, with a fabulous bathroom befitting a high end boutique hotel. Clean, secure parade. I looked around Saskatoon for someplace to eat, and settled on the Hub in the hotel. Somewhat limited menu, but good food, and a decent if very small wine selection.
The location could be better, there's really nothing right close by other than the Greyhound bus terminal (ugh). the convention centre and arts centre are also right across the street, so if you need to be close to these facilities, the HI is perfect.
The Bessborugh, the Sheraton, and the Radisson all have superior locations near the river however.
And...at $229 a night, $249 for the corner room, it's pretty pricey for Saskatoon. Never mind that, it's pricey for just about anywhere. I routinely stay in downtown Toronto for under $200.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business