“Not Impressed by any means”

Comfort Suites Saskatoon
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Regina, Canada
“Not Impressed by any means”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We chose this hotel as we were attending a concert at CU place. Check in was fine it was when we got to our room. There was a high pitch squeal coming from somewhere so the maintenance guy came up and opened the window and it stopped he told me to keep the window open until the wind dies down... it was cold in Saskatoon on that day. I opened one of the drawers to find used lady products wrapped in a towel and when I went to use the shower it had black hair all over the tub, the taps, the tub surround and shower curtain.

While I was sitting on the couch I could see something in the corner of the room it was a dirty sock that someone left behind. Makes me wonder how long that had been there.

The room above us had children who ran and jumped constantly and were very loud as were other guests in the hotel.

I would probably not stay there again as there is another hotel in the vicinity I might give them a whirl next time.

Room Tip: Before checking in ask to see your room first to make sure it has been cleaned properly
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hello Missylittle and thank you so much for taking the time to post a review here on this forum. It certainly is the place to review people's experiences and opinions and works as well for hotel management as it does for future travelers. So we certainly do appreciate the time guests take to post a review. I wanted to address the points you raised in your review and apologize for the standards that you had encountered. Certainly not "up to our usual standard" and again, I apologize for this. I have had the folks from our maintenance department check over the PTAC unit in your room and we are currently unsure what caused the "whistling" sound you heard but will definitely have it rectified. In the part you mention about "used lady products" - I feel it only fair to mention that - again while absolutely unacceptable to find anything left behind by a previous guest - this was in fact a make up remover wipe inside a washcloth and not anything else (some readers may perceive "used lady product" as a sanitary item of sorts and we both know this was not the case).

You mentioned that you could hear noisy children in the hotel. When you were here, we had 3 concerts on 3 consecutive nights at the adjacent Credit Union Centre so - yes, definitely a very busy week for us! We are definitely a popular destination for families also and I do apologize that you were disturbed by that. It's always nice to know at the time rather than afterwards of issues that prevent guests from having their most enjoyable stay - as they say, hindsight is 20/20. Sadly, without knowing exactly who or which room had the noisy children, there is nothing that can be done now. At the time, we happily would have mentioned to the family with the children to be watchful with their noise levels - of course assuming this was after our "quiet time" had started.

In closing, thank you once again for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention and our apologies that we did not meet or exceed your expectations during this stay, however, we do sincerely hope that you will give us a second chance to prove that the issues you encountered are not our usual standards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
marsden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel because we were attending a concert at the CU centre. Check-in went fine and arrived at our room with no problem with our bags - left for supper and to attend the concert. We came to our room to relax and pulled out the chair to find a ticket on the seat to the previous night's show (the carpet could not have been vacuumed under the desk or it would have been noticed). Went to make a cup of coffee only to find every stryo cup had a hole poked right thru the bottom. One bed had the skirt tucked in under the bottom sheet (sheets very wrinkled and lamps very dusty). When you see all these things, you wonder if the cleaner even bothered to check the bedding and it makes you nervous. One shampoo, one conditioner and one lotion for 3 people to share (asked at the desk for more and were informed there was plenty in the room) The room was pleasant enough and quite spacious and the beds were very comfortable. We will stay there again but only because it is close the CU centre not because the service is so great. I read the reviews and wonder if I am staying in the same hotel as the people that are raving it's glory.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 2012L-C - thank you so much for posting your review here. It is a great forum for experiences and opinions to be posted and reviewed by future travelers as well as hotel management to see feedback. Of course, we would love to have the feedback when the guests are still in the hotel so that we can rectify any issues there and then but we realize that not all travelers like to say something at the time. Either way - thank you for taking the time to let us know the things that were "amiss" here. Firstly, please let me apologize about the paper left under the desk, dusty lamps and holes in the coffee cups - absolutely not our usual standards and I will definitely be sharing this feedback with the entire housekeeping team. Please rest assured that linens are changed each and every time a guest checks out and with 3 concerts on 3 consecutive nights last week, we had over 90% of the hotel check out each day! I believe that my ladies in housekeeping may have been "rushing" a bit - hence the bed-skirt tucked under the mattress as they tucked the sheets in. Not an excuse and certainly not a standard but something that I will be discussing with them (a quick parting glance over their shoulder as they left the room would have caught their eye!)

We certainly do once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back for many future stays as you are absolutely right - we are adjacent to the CUC arena as you cannot stay any closer!
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I recently had to host a large training session in Saskatoon (27 attendees) and can honestly say that everything @ this property was absolutely exempliary! Our rooms were so clean, modern and spacious; the Conference Centre met all our needs (space, equipment, lighting) and the staff were truly fabulous! Everyone was so accommodating and I felt went "Above & Beyond" for our group! Their General Manager ensured our stay and overall experience was absolutely phenominal! I look forward to returning to the Comfort Suites for all future business (or pleasure) that is needed in Saskatoon! Thank-you!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hello Training A - thank you for posting such a positive review here! As you can see, we receive a great deal of very positive comments about the hotel and I love to read them all and share them with the staff. It's so rewarding to receive this one regarding the conference facilities also! It was our very great pleasure to host you all and to hear that your event was a success. We look forward to hosting many more events for you and your company in the future!
Dauphin, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Let me start off with saying that this was not the first time we have stayed at this hotel.. We loved it due to the pool and water slide for the kids, the clean rooms, the pet friendly policy, the fabulous breakfast and the great location. However, during our last stay we incurred a $150 damage deposit fee because our 2 year old was sick and overflowed the diaper when I went to change him on the duvet cover. Not a large amount, but apparently enough that they claimed they couldn't determine whether it was from our very large dog (that for some reason would have been on the bed) or a child. So they threw out the bedspread. Firstly - really?! Secondly, having dealt with my share of diapers and accidents, I am well aware that a proper, hygienic washing would remove any potential 'bio-hazards'. I was made aware of this charge after phoning the hotel and being advised of why I incurred the charge, I sent a letter the the manager. No response. Sorry, but I am not spending almost $200 a night ( or $350 in this case ) to worry that my kids might get sick and any concerns to be ignored by the manager. Despite the pool and waterside - this place is not family friendly.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MinnowMc
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hello MinnowMc - thank you for your review. Please find below, the copy of the email I
had sent you yesterday - which was in fact, the first time I recevied your email:

Firstly, my apologies if you believe I have ignored this email. In fact, this is the first I have seen of your email. I will however, be glad to address your concerns in the prior email but first would like to express my appreciation to you for being a repeat guest at our hotel. I see you stayed with us for one night in October 2013 and then again on this past stay for a night in early March. You mentioned you have stayed regularly, so I am making an assumption that the other stays are perhaps under a different names.

I’m truly sorry to hear that you believe our damage policy to be “extreme”. You are quite correct in that, yes, we run a public facility and to be perfectly honest, sheets, duvets and towels are not treated any differently than a pillow would be, so I’m afraid I don’t completely understand why you would be happier knowing that a hotel cleans faeces differently from a pillow than from a sheet , towel or duvet. The amount of faeces stains on the linens was extreme under any imaginable circumstances – whether you consider it caused by your (appreciated) efforts to clean it up or not. The fact that one of the towels had clearly been used to wipe the area of “accident” indicates to us that this was not simply a “leakage” from a diaper. The point about the housekeeper not knowing if the faeces was from a dog or a child was mentioned purely as we don’t expect our housekeepers to get so close to faecal stains on linens and towels to identify if it came from a child or dog.

Our pet policy clearly indicates that we accept up to 2 pets per room up to 50lbs each. We made an exception for your 100+lbs pet and you signed a policy stating that if we had to do extra clean up, then an appropriate cleaning fee would be applied to your bill. So as mentioned, as it was not immediately determined if these stains were caused by your dog, the damage deposit was placed against your card as the linens were immediately destroyed.

We absolutely are a family friendly hotel as well as a pet friendly hotel and along with that go our superior standards of cleanliness of which we are very proud. I’m sorry that you feel the need to advertise what you consider to be a negative side of your stay, but of course, with freedom of speech it is absolutely your prerogative to discuss your opinions with whomsoever you wish to. I imagine in mentioning the incident and the fact that we destroyed all soiled linens will perhaps make some of the people you discuss this with, realise how very serious we are about cleanliness and that – above all - we consider the comfort of our guests absolutely and undoubtedly, paramount.

I’m sorry that we will no longer be your preferred hotel of choice in this vibrant and exciting city, but wish you safe travels and a comfortable place to stay – wherever that may be.
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Recently had the privilege of being a guest at this lovely hotel. We attended a concert at the C.U Center and you can't beat this location they are right across the parking lot. We literally left our room strolled across the parking lot and we were at party central. The rooms are extremely spacious and clean, very comfy bed and pillows. A lovely treat of continental breakfast that had every thing from bacon and eggs to yogurt and bagels.The staff was kind and courteous. We will defiantly stay here again. Others could learn a thing or 2 from this hotel and there staff. Great job guys:)

• Stayed March 2014
Hello Cuba h - thank you so much for posting such a super review here. Yes, you can't beat how close we are to great concerts, Blades games and even some NHL games coming up - as well as lots of ther family events that go on at the CUC. So glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast also! We look forward to welcoming you back soon
Kinistino, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is all nice and new. Probably one of the best hot breakfasts in this class of hotel-eggs, sausage, waffles with berries and whipped cream. Also the usual hard boiled eggs, cereal, toast and yogurt. Would stay again because good value. Did not use the pool.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hello Piloteer7 - thank you for posting your review here - we know others enjoy reading them! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that we fed you well for breakfast! We look forward to welcoming you back soon
Melville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

The hotel itself is very nice. Our suite was clean, but had a few minor baseboards falling off the wall. The breakfast was decent. The only major disappointment was that I booked the hotel specifically for the waterslide, and then the front desk clerk told me that it only runs on weekends. When I asked why, she stated "that they needed to find a staff person with lifeguard training." This seems foolish since the #1 rule on their sign is that the pool area is unattended, and there is a large sign when you walk in that clearly states that there isn't a lifeguard on duty. Overall, the hotel is nice and we will likely stay again, but probably only on a weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hello mom2630 and thank you for posting your review here. I was sorry to read of your disappointment over the wateslide and wanted to clarify what appears to be a miscommunication on our part. As far as the rules and regulations regarding the waterslide go, which we do advertise on our 3 websites, we have limited hours but we also try to open the slide at times outside of these hours when we have a qualified staff memeber on site and available. A new regulation came into effect on January 1st 2013 and is only in Saskatchewan, whereby the Ministry of Health dictates that for a waterslide emptying into the "pool" area (rather than a run-off area), a Pool Attendant must be present at all times when that slide is open. With the majority of guests using the slide only on the weekend, that is why it is manned at that time and any times in between, we certainly are more than happy to accommodate as and when we can. The Pool Attendant is not a Lifeguard (hence the sign which reads there is no lifeguard on duty). Frustrating for sure and not the first time we have heard the complaint of it not being open at all times.

We certainly are glad to hear you will be back and look forward to welcoming you once again.