“Clean and quiet”

Comfort Suites Saskatoon
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Saskatoon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Rooms were very nice and had a great pool. I liked that they always had hot coffee in the front entry way. It is faraway from shopping but there is a Costco, subway, and Tim hortons near by. We will stay here again next time we are in town.

• Stayed: June 2014
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hello mdp665 and thank you for posting your 5 star review of our property. Yes, we are a little way from downtown but still within easy access. So glad you enjoyed yourselves and we hope you will tell all your friends and family also! Looking forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I am going to try and provide just the facts, and keep my frustration out of it. It is a long story though. When I was looking at booking this hotel online, there were 2 different prices for what appeared to be the same King Suite. I called the hotel directly and the girl that answered was helpful. She went online with me and pointed out that in the details, there was a King suite with one bed and a sofa bed, and there was one that was a one bedroom suite. She also pointed out that the one bedroom suite I was looking at was less expensive. Great. I went online and booked 2 nights, about a month in the future. Please note, I did book at a non refundable, no changes rate.

We were on vacation in the USA and I thought of maybe staying for 1 extra day. The problem was that in order to that, I would need to change our reservation at this hotel from Sun & Mon, to Mon & Tues. I emailed the general manager directly and asked if they could please accomodate. I explained that we would be staying the same amount of time and paying the same amount of money. She responded that we had a no changes rate, and poilcy stated that they could not change our reservation in any way. I blasted her for not doing the right thing for the client and hiding behind a policy, and that was that.

When we showed up at the hotel. I went to check in and the first thing the guy at the front desk said to me was "You are aware that we can't change your reservation in any way?" I immediately got defence and replied, " I am here aren't I? Yes I understand". He was rude throughout our check in.

We then head up to the room, and low and behold, not the one bedroom suite I had reserved. I turned around and went back downstairs. I pointed out that we didn't have the room we booked. He looked at his system and said we did. I showed him the confirmation that said one bedroom suite. He looked at his system and said sorry I can't change your reservation. I said you are changing my reservation. He wouldn't do anything for me. AT ALL!! I asked to speak to a manager, and he said one would be in tomorrow. Then he really used a good one. He said that if I wanted to complain, I would have to contact choice hotels, as I was "just a third party." Which of course this doesn't make any sense at all. Not like I booked on hotels.com or something. In the end, I was furious and he wouldn't do ANYTHING to help me. I called Choice Hotels, I spoke with a woman in their customer service dept who completely agreed that he had no right to not give us the room we booked, But she had to speak with the hotel. Low and Behold, he wouldn't answer the phone when they were calling. So I had to wait until the next day to speak to a manager.

The next day we spoke to the manager and explained our situation. She was helpful and professional. After a little force on our part, they agreed to move us into the room we had booked. Apparently choice hotels had booked the one bedroom suite, but the system at the hotel did not show that. Also, the room was apparently not even available for that first night. Yikes. The second room was way better and exactly what we had wanted for our entire stay.

Anyway, trying to limit my rant, after a lot of talking, we left without having any resolution regarding the first night. A couple days later, we did get a full refund on our first nights stay.

Overall, a nice new hotel with horrible service. Unfortunate really.

4  Thank Rock_Debod

Hello Rock_Debod and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay earlier this month. I know we have emailed and spoken face to face - as well as over the phone since your stay - many times but we always appreciate the opportunity to engage in the reviews so that future guests have an insight as to how we deal/dealt with situations. As you mentioned, you did book the Advance Purchase rate with no changes, refunds or cancellations and I personally do appreciate the acknowledgment of having what you mention as “blasted" me for not being able to change the policy.
You are exactly right in the fact that yes, there was an error in the system that was not found until you checked into your room whereby your confirmation said the separate bedroom suite but the booking in our system said otherwise. As mentioned this was brought to the attention of the Choice Development Team and was rectified for all future reservations. For this reason, I did offer you a complete refund for the first night rather than a reduction in the rate. Again, not something that we knew of until you mentioned it and as all of the certain room types that you booked (we have 3 of those in the hotel) had been reserved since January for a group; I'm not even sure how this "glitch" happened.
I have spoken with Sukhdeep – the gentlemen who checked you in – and whilst he did agree that he mentioned he was unable to change your reservation, the comments about “being a third party” – will have to remain a “he said, she said” I’m afraid.
It is always nice to see that – even through adversity such as you encountered with the different room type – you did mention that this is a nice hotel overall. I know that we certainly do appreciate that as well as other folks reading these reviews will also appreciate and we truly hope you will be back to visit us again.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My sister and I were travelling with our elderly mother on an early morning flight. When we arrived at the hotel, front desk staff welcomed us warmly, checked us in early as the suite was available, and invited us to partake in the good complimentary hot breakfast. Rooms and public areas were clean, beds were comfortable, and the choice of soft or hard pillows was appreciated. Staff were friendly and helpful as we were not familiar with the city. I travel with my job and would definitely stay there again. Only wish they had an on site restaurant as one needs a car to find dining places other than Tim Horton's, which is a short walk down the street.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello Sandra D and thank you for your 5 star review of our hotel. I'm so glad to hear everything went well during your visit and I always love to hear how helpful the team members we are very fortunate to have here, have been. We lok forward to welcoming you back again soon - on your business and leisure trips!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've been travelling thru Saskatoon every 4 weeks for the last 2 years. This hotel is by far the best in Saskatoon for travellers just passing thru. Until this latest trip I was staying at the Comfort Inn. My hotels are booked around the Choice Privileges program. This Comfort Suites promotes and adheres to the program. The service was excellent and the accommodations top notch.

• Stayed: July 2014
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hello 42Ivanhoe and thank you for posting the 5 star review about us. We love to read ALL reviews but have to admit we love 'em better when they have 5 stars! So glad to hear you have been able to take advantage of the Choice Privilges loyalty program. It really is a super incentive and we love to welcome back our CP members time and time again. Hoping to see you again soon here in Saskatoon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked ahead and were quoted a price. When we arrived after an 11hr drive, we went out for dinner and then the grandchildren were looking forward to the pool and waterslide. But they were unable to go in as there was a kids pool party booked then and it was too wild for little kids and our disabled grandchild, until it was too late for our grands to be up. Then we had a King Suite with a king bed and a hide-a-bed, and the hide-a-bed was like sleeping on springs with no mattress. When we checked out they wouldn't give us the price we had booked at. Each time when we complained we received no "sorry", just that they couldn't do anything. We will not be returning to this hotel, mostly because of the rudeness of the staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hello Heleh H and thank you for posting your review. I'm so sorry to hear that you felt our staff were rude. It was in fact me that your daugter/daughter-in-law spoke with in the hallway outside of the pool when she mentioned that she was upset as her children were getting splashed in the pool and she asked why there was non-registrered guests in the pool. I explained that it was a registered pool party booked and therefore, the group of 11 year olds were registered guests. However, I did ask the group if they would mind leaving the pool area immediately to allow your grandchildren to swim at that time (8.15pm). Your daughter said it was too late (I understand that, I have young children also) and I explained (as did Tayler at the Front Desk) that the pool would also be open at 8am the following morning. I know you were able to take advantage of the pool before you left and I was happy to see you enjoying yourselves there.

I am concerned with your comments about the incorrect rate though. I see that you had booked 3 adults and 1 child into a Single King Suite with the hide-a-bed at the CAA discounted rate. In researching your reservation further, I note that the rate you were booked at was in fact the same rate you paid upon check out so I am not sure why you felt we didn't honour that rate. I do welcome you to contact the hotel directly with any form of confirmation that states you were confirmed at a different rate and I will happily review that once more.

In closing, please do accept our apologies for the incidents that led you to have a less than perfect stay and I hope that the explanations above will encourage you to come back and visit us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had a really good sleep, the beds were excellent. It is really close to 16 and also Timmy's although the breakfast was really good lots of choice the coffee just wasn't the same as a Tim's. If travelling through Saskatoon I would suggest this location it's away from downtown and the prices were very competitive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hello Bryan K and thank you so much for your 5 star review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and had a good rest in our comfy-cozy beds! Come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Arrived pretty tired after two flights. Good welcome, very clean room, had a decent sleep and an adequate breakfast in the morning.
Extremely handy for airport (we did have a rental car) and also for travelling on, close to Highway 16.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Trisha M and thank you for your review! We love hearing how people are relaxed and refreshed after a good nights's sleep in our awesome beds! Come back and visit us again soon!