“Food and ambience”

Taverna Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Taverna Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 697 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Price range: US$12 - US$39
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Taverna Italian Kitchen is nestled in Saskatoon's historic downtown core within walking distance of a number of major hotels in the renowned entertainment district. The building was originally a grocery store dating back to 1907. In 1969, Taverna started serving fantastic authentic Italian dishes in this charming setting.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stopped in after the man show with a couple of buddies, the three of us tried different menu items and each of us enjoyed our meal. It took a few minutes for the wait staff to get organized, perhaps due to the large number of customers, but once they got it together things went smoothly. Nice feel to the place, wait staff was friendly. Would eat there again

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My Boyfriend and I have gone to this place several times. We are both pasta lovers, and he introduced me to this wonderful place after we started dating. I have had several awesome meals here. The staff are always so friendly and helpful. I will definitely go back many times!

1  Thank Travis B
Reviewed 13 April 2014

always wanted to try this restaurant as we are from out of town and since we were just down the street from the doctor we decided to go for it. First thing we noticed was for some reason we were the only table that did not get the lovely warm bread until I asked for it towards the end of the meal when I noticed everyone else was getting some?? the portion sizes for 12.00 at lunch were less than satisfying ..more like a child's portion and I was comparing my husbands portion to some of the other patrons who ordered the same and his was certainly smaller so dont know what was up with that ?? and if you want anything extra added like a few mushrooms or peas be prepared to pay 25.00 instead of 12.00 for this tiny child size portion ...my husband left hungry but great if you are on a diet and limiting your serving size, What we did get was tasty enough and although we cant prove it there must be MSG in the food which I forgot to ask about cause I had that sucking lemon in my mouth feeling the rest of the day which happens when I ingest MSG so beware and ask first. Not sure if it is a coincidence as well but as the day wore on both my husband and I had sick stomachs and then the runs from what we ate. I never ate breakfast and never ate for the rest of the day so it had to be our lunch ?? So perhaps we will try this place again and we will 1) ask for the bread, order a dinner size portion with no expensive add ons so we don't leave hungry and broke and 3) make sure there is no MSG added to our food. ..the runs part well hopefully that was a coincidence ??

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Food served needlessly on a cold versus hot plate
Pasta overcooked
Bolognese sauce mild with not so much taste
Decor has not changed since opening in the 1970's
New management 4 years have changed relatively little
Hope they read this review and put some passion bavk in what they offer. One great touch they offer a self serve parmisan bowl

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Had made valentines day reservations...show up and they lost it. Only 1 person was working the front sitting and taking payment. After waiting for almost 45 minutes we finally got seated, only after we inquired. After being seated our waitress was prompt in getting us drinks and we were we would be comped an appetizer. We chose the scallops and were told it would take a little bit to make but they would be brought to us as soon as they were ready. My fiancee also went to order a drink off their drink menu only to be told it was only available in the summer, which leads to one asking why it would be advertised in the first place.
We ended up receiving our appetizer after our entrees which took 50 minutes. Neither one of us was happy with either course. My fiancee's risotto was not cooked entirely and my canelloni was just ok. We are from out of town and were looking forward to a nice meal in a town we had never been to. Needless to say if we come back to Saskatoon we would not eat here nor recommend it.

3  Thank Melissa M