“One of the worst nights sleep ever!”
Review of Westgate Inn Motel

Westgate Inn Motel
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Swift Current, Canada
“One of the worst nights sleep ever!”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We picked this motel because it was cheap and we only were sleeping there a few hours before our early morning flight. Lobby area was okay, obviously nothing special and we were encouraged by the signs everywhere that said "This motel is NON-SMOKING." However when we got to our room it reeked of cigarette smoke. It was so bad in the bathroom, it was like someone was actually smoking in there beside me. The walls are paper thin and we heard every word in the next room. We were aware that it wasn't the classiest place but it fell very short of our already low expectations. It's worth the extra $20 or so to go with a well known chain hotel. If I could give them a minus rating I would!

Room Tip: Look into a different hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jklassy

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2011

horrible, horrible place. have hookers and drug addicts in all the time. owners/ staff only care about the money and NOT about their customers. you would think of all the money they get in there they would fix repairs, get a boiler that has a/c AND heat, put cameras at the back of the building, better cameras on sides of building. i cant even count how many cars have been smashed in and westgate doesnt even care, tell guests theres nothing they can do. HOW ABOUT INSTALLING BETTER CAMERAS. their housekeepers dont even know how to clean rooms right, have damaged guests property{and once again staff said nothing they can do about it}. waaaay overprices. worst place in town. dont stay here, unless you like hookers and druggies coming to your door at all hours of the night.

Room Tip: none. all terrible rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank 760canadian_travels
Hoorn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 September 2010

chain on outside door missed, bold could not be used, beds we too weak internet didnot work at 10 meters from lobby, seats for breakfast were dirty.
a nono place

• Stayed September 2010
5 Thank janschrik
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I was quite confused with the reviews I've read about this hotel, I booked a room at the Westgate Inn and decided to find some reviews, To tell the truth I didnt find many good ones, but one mentioned new owners and renovations so I decided to keep my room and give it a try. I was pleasently suprised when entering the lobby, right off the bat the front desk lady smiled and said hello, and asked me how she could help. Also she offered to help me with my bags and anything else I might need help with. I told the lady that I hadn't read many good reviews and she was eager to prove them wrong and thanked me for staying even though i read those bad reviews. I was told I was givin a newly renovated room, and upon seeing it, I was quite happy with it. The bathroom looked very nice, I was actually scared to go in, in fear that I might break something, the carpets looked as though they had also been replaced recently, as well as a fresh coat of paint and some modern furniture tied everything in nicely. I also had one of the best sleeps I've had in ages and was quite suprised with the quality, I mean Iam no princess but It worked perfect for me, and the price was nice too, I just wanted to say thank you to the staff for being so courteous, and helpful, and I will be back the next time Iam in Saskatoon. I decided to take a chance, and Iam glad I did.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank clawingkitty
calgary
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Because of conventions and sold out rooms at all hotels, i was forced to stay here. The room had an extreme odour and the bed was unbelievably uncomfortable. Still dont want to think about the cleanliness, I ran into 3 spiders, one of which i killed in the bathroom. That night after the room being "cleaned", the dead spider was still in the tub, concerning me even more. That morning I had to listen to what sounded like a "night lady" with whomever coughing, lighting a lighter, and listening to almost every word spoken as the walls are paper thin. I then checked out and left. I would have rather slept at the airport where I could at least feel safe. drug addicts and "night ladys" this place is yours

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank sheenarehaume
calgary
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We went to the Saskatoon for a dart tournament - usually the darts association arranges rates and hotels for us all to stay in but that was not the case in Saskatoon. We had originally booked the Confederation Inn - but another couple got there before us and suggested we try somewhere else. We came across the Westgate Inn - after making sure it was clean we proceeded to book the two rooms. From the very start we were treated rudely - we questioned the $10 pp extra charge on each person over one - we were only using one room and would basically be sleeping in it. The girl was rude but we booked it anyways. We explained to her why we were here and that we would be in late and probably have a few friends over for a couple of drinks but that it would be social not a party - this is when we should have been advised that they had a no guest policy after 10:30pm and that we could have not checked in to begin with. We went to darts that evening and returned to the hotel around 12:30am and we were having drinks with the other couple from the room next door when two of our friends came to visit. The front desk guy let them in but when the girl from the other room went down he told her that they had five minutes and that he had already warned her. She was taken back because never did this guy speak to her. It was actually my sister that he had told about the no guest policy and not this woman. Before we had even got to the room my sister had made a comment to the guy at the fron desk jokingly asking if we had checked into the ritz as they had the doors on lock down - he was rude and told her that she was insulting the hotel and he could have her removed. So she had come up to tell us about the no guest policy so I got on the phone to make arrangements to go to a new hotel the next evening. Meantime these two girls were in our room and we were having a glass of wine - quietly and the front desk guy told us they would have to leave or he would have to evict us. The guy that was staying with us said that he wanted to speak to the manager regarding this and to have him call us - the front desk guy said he was going to call the police - so we waited. We were extremely quiet so I figured that if the police showed up that they would tell us that we had to abide by the hotel rules and ask our guests to leave. When the police showed up - well lets just say they were just as rude and proceded to evict us and told us we would not get our money back - we had paid for 2 full nights plus a $100 deposit. I had never seen anything like this - even in my younger years when we threw a party or two and were a little toooo loud the police would arrive at our home and ask that we keep it down or they would have no other choice but to fine us or shut us down - You cannot fault that people needed to sleep so we usually tried to abide - however the police were rude and when we got outside we sat out front and told them that we had no where else to go as we did not have the extra money for a new hotel at this time - the police rudely informed us that we were now in a public place and they could charge us for being drunk and disorderly - I informed the officer that I had not been drinking and he told me I had better watch it to which I again informed him that I had not been drinking. We left and the two girls that had visited us kindly put us up for the night. I called the motel the next day to talk to the manager and was told that he would not be in until Monday and so explained to another rude desk person that we woul like to check out amd that I had there keys and remote and I would like my deposit and one nights money back - she told me that the police told them that they did not have to give us back our money and that we would need to go to small claims court knowing full well that we live out of town. - The ironory is that the other couple that booked with us stayed there the weekend and told us that they could not believe that we had been kicked out considering that the whole hotel had parties going on all night in the downstairs rooms (you could access them without going into the hotel) noise, doors slamming, screaming etc... but when they complained nothing was done - perhaps these people were friends of the rather rude yound man that worked the night desk - as for recommend this hotel to a friend - i would not even recommend it to my worst enemy - and I am not impressed with the conduct of the Saskatoon Police Department either

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank jperrybmq
South Saskatchewan
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I found Westgate a decent motel. It isn't a four star, but for the price I wasn't expecting that.
For under a hundred bucks it was a decent motel. Apparently the new owners are trying to update and improve the place. I stayed in a room that just recived new furniture. It is still a work in progress. But again, for the price I'm not complaining!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo