“NEVER have I been treated so rudely before”
Review of Westgate Inn Motel

Westgate Inn Motel
Ranked #38 of 40 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We went to the Saskatoon for a dart tournament - usually the darts association arranges rates and hotels for us all to stay in but that was not the case in Saskatoon. We had originally booked the Confederation Inn - but another couple got there before us and suggested we try somewhere else. We came across the Westgate Inn - after making sure it was clean we proceeded to book the two rooms. From the very start we were treated rudely - we questioned the $10 pp extra charge on each person over one - we were only using one room and would basically be sleeping in it. The girl was rude but we booked it anyways. We explained to her why we were here and that we would be in late and probably have a few friends over for a couple of drinks but that it would be social not a party - this is when we should have been advised that they had a no guest policy after 10:30pm and that we could have not checked in to begin with. We went to darts that evening and returned to the hotel around 12:30am and we were having drinks with the other couple from the room next door when two of our friends came to visit. The front desk guy let them in but when the girl from the other room went down he told her that they had five minutes and that he had already warned her. She was taken back because never did this guy speak to her. It was actually my sister that he had told about the no guest policy and not this woman. Before we had even got to the room my sister had made a comment to the guy at the fron desk jokingly asking if we had checked into the ritz as they had the doors on lock down - he was rude and told her that she was insulting the hotel and he could have her removed. So she had come up to tell us about the no guest policy so I got on the phone to make arrangements to go to a new hotel the next evening. Meantime these two girls were in our room and we were having a glass of wine - quietly and the front desk guy told us they would have to leave or he would have to evict us. The guy that was staying with us said that he wanted to speak to the manager regarding this and to have him call us - the front desk guy said he was going to call the police - so we waited. We were extremely quiet so I figured that if the police showed up that they would tell us that we had to abide by the hotel rules and ask our guests to leave. When the police showed up - well lets just say they were just as rude and proceded to evict us and told us we would not get our money back - we had paid for 2 full nights plus a $100 deposit. I had never seen anything like this - even in my younger years when we threw a party or two and were a little toooo loud the police would arrive at our home and ask that we keep it down or they would have no other choice but to fine us or shut us down - You cannot fault that people needed to sleep so we usually tried to abide - however the police were rude and when we got outside we sat out front and told them that we had no where else to go as we did not have the extra money for a new hotel at this time - the police rudely informed us that we were now in a public place and they could charge us for being drunk and disorderly - I informed the officer that I had not been drinking and he told me I had better watch it to which I again informed him that I had not been drinking. We left and the two girls that had visited us kindly put us up for the night. I called the motel the next day to talk to the manager and was told that he would not be in until Monday and so explained to another rude desk person that we woul like to check out amd that I had there keys and remote and I would like my deposit and one nights money back - she told me that the police told them that they did not have to give us back our money and that we would need to go to small claims court knowing full well that we live out of town. - The ironory is that the other couple that booked with us stayed there the weekend and told us that they could not believe that we had been kicked out considering that the whole hotel had parties going on all night in the downstairs rooms (you could access them without going into the hotel) noise, doors slamming, screaming etc... but when they complained nothing was done - perhaps these people were friends of the rather rude yound man that worked the night desk - as for recommend this hotel to a friend - i would not even recommend it to my worst enemy - and I am not impressed with the conduct of the Saskatoon Police Department either

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank jperrybmq

Reviewed 17 May 2009

I found Westgate a decent motel. It isn't a four star, but for the price I wasn't expecting that.
For under a hundred bucks it was a decent motel. Apparently the new owners are trying to update and improve the place. I stayed in a room that just recived new furniture. It is still a work in progress. But again, for the price I'm not complaining!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Sparklee
Reviewed 17 September 2008

All the other hotels in town were booked so I selected the Westgate Inn. Boy did I make a mistake! We requested a non-smoking room and were told thats what we got. It reeked of smoke and the furniture looked like it came from a frat house.

The carpeting was dirty and torn in the hallways. The breakfast area was also dirty and we had second thoughts about eating there at all.

The only plus side is that the bathroom was cleaner than the rest of the place. Its too bad that someone doesn't fix this place up a little as it seems to be in a good location.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Dan R