“Never lets us down.”

Price range: US$8 - US$39
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Nutana
Description: Simple. Local. Delicious. We envision a place where we belong, where our actions nurture the environment and our food sources, where people thrive, craftsmanship and traditions flourish, a place where the mind can rest and wander. We hope that we can show you the world through our eyes while you are here in our care.
Reviewed 23 August 2013

As former Saskatoon residents, we always enjoy coming back to Broadway area to check out the trendy shopping and restaurant options.

Calories was always one of our favourite dessert spots. I will start by saying that the desserts are still first rate.

Our lunch was amazing, and sitting at one of the three street-side outdoor tables is definitely the way to go on a hot summer afternoon. The lunch menu is not extensive, but I enjoyed my prosciutto tart, and my wife enjoyed her roast beef sandwich. Lunch prices are very reasonable.

1  Thank Rambling_Nomad
rcousyn, Owner at Calories Bakery and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for your comments.
While we are made aware of these as there is no way to have our property removed from this site and/or others in the same vein, we do not reply to them except with this standard reply:

We handle customer concerns directly and one on one with our customers. That allows us to improve our offerings and handle our issues in a professional manner without childish rude and disparaging comments that are not constructive and only serve as a venting system for guests that are unwilling to enter into a real dialog and are not concerned with our restaurant and it's employees.
Your comments are always welcome and can be sent directly to us from our web site.
Search for Calories on any search engine then click on contact us.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

It was our first time at Calories. The food was extremely tasty from the appetizer to the deserts, and well presented. Service was slow, but not to an extreme. I did not care for the Host's attitude but the waitresses were very friendly.

1  Thank lams45
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Desserts are a specialty, but I came out of Morocco totally over sweets so I didn't even look at the menu. The horseradish sandwich was good and there was a variety of offerings.

If you are looking for a nice quiet lunch, check it out.

1  Thank Jody H
Reviewed 25 July 2013

It is the best hidden gem in Saskatoon. When in town it is the first place I go to. They are known for their desserts but the food is equally as good. Their food is mostly local or self grown.

Must have: Toffee cheesecake, Vegetarian – Cucumber, tomato, lettuce, onion, avocado, peppers & herbed cream cheese, soup and/or Pommes Frites with homemade ailoi, to wash it down the toffee latte.

I've lived all over Canada and visted many dessert restaurants, bare none this is true Canadian Gold.

3  Thank insassy
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My wife and I ordered the French toast there this morning. It came out yellow and under cooked. It looked like a Starbucks lemon loaf. There was a strawberry glaze that literally was soaking into the brioche bread. Our waitress preceded to tell us that it was because it was brioche bread. We couldn't believe that felt comfortable serving us that. I am not one to write bad reviews, but this definitely deserves one.

rcousyn, Owner at Calories Bakery and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for your review tjsmurf.
While the French toast may have been undercooked (This could easily have been remedied immediately and it is always our favourite option as we wish) the fact that it came out yellow could be attributed to the fact that we make the French toast using our own In-house brioche and that the brioche is actually made with fresh local farm eggs and real butter. I unfortunately cannot comment on how it would compare to a "starbucks lemon Loaf" as I have never had one.
On that Sunday we had a French toast special that included an in-house star anise infused apple compote and fresh strawberries. You asked your waitress for an alternate accompaniment as the special did not appeal and although our chef did not find your request particularly appetizing he executed your order as per your specifications.
We would be delighted to be able to serve you again and hopefully turn you and your wife into Calories converts!
Best regards,