“Staff need a happy meal”

Home Inn & Suites - Swift Current
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Swift Current
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Staff need a happy meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times and each time I've found the facility to be very well maintained and clean. The beds are firmer than I prefer but you can't please everyone. Unfortunately, each time I've also found the front desk and breakfast staff appears to force themselves to be friendly. They say all the right corporate stuff when spoken too but not engaging at all.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Nancy P, General Manager at Home Inn & Suites - Swift Current, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel property in Swift Current. I am pleased the staff said the appropriate words to you, but am sorry to hear you did not feel it was heartfelt. We do not force our employees to be friendly, but encourage smiles and words of welcome to each guest. Next time you are in Swift Current, please feel free to speak to me directly as I would love to meet you and show you our d3h hospitality that you felt was missing on this trip. Please come back to visit anytime!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Home Inn & Suites Swift Current is newer and has a very fresh, modern feel. I booked a room with a kitchenette and stayed on the first floor. One of the first things I noticed when checking into our room was that there was a strong orange cleaner smell. I think that someone may have smoked in our room or a nearby room. Anyhow, the chemical smell was overpowering for sure. Also, the laminate floor felt a bit sticky, perhaps a bit too much floor cleaner? Everything else was clean and comfortable looking. Upon nightfall, our upstairs neighbors turned into a herd of elephants, or so it seemed! Stomp stomp stomping for hours up there. I was exhausted from a long day of road travel and all I wanted was to be able to fall asleep. I called front desk at last, and they agreed to phone my heavy footed neighbors, but unfortunately the tromping went on until midnight, perhaps longer. When I did get to sleep, I was very comfortable, the sheets were very smooth and I wasn't too hot or cold.
I visited the pool during my stay and while it did seem to be well maintained, I couldn't stay in the hot tub for more than a minute- the chemical balance must have been off because my eyes stung and began watering like mad and all I could smell was chlorine.
Overall, I expected better but it was satisfactory in most regards. I guess there isn't much that can be done about paper thin walls/ceilings once the hotel has already been built, but better ventilation (especially when cleaning the rooms), giving the floors a better rinse, and ensuring the pool/hot tub chemicals are just right would be a start.

• Stayed August 2014
I was so saddened to hear that you had your stay at Home Inn & Suites in Swift Current was not all you had hoped it to be. I am glad you found the room to be clean and comfortable, but am sorry that the noise of the guests above you did not allow you to sleep as you wished.

I have discussed the chemical issues with our housekeeping staff and both issues are being addressed as we speak. It is always a fine balance to leave a room clean without chemical smells, especially if the room has a kitchen where a variety of smells emerge.

We invite you to stop by and visit again any time you are in the area.
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Very nice new hotel, nice touches with bath robes and slippers, in room Keurig coffee maker. Adequate breakfast.The staff was very accommodating. Had some noise issues in the room above us and they moved us immediately. Couldn't have been more accommodating!

Room Tip: I'd ask for an upper floor!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Nancy P, General Manager at Home Inn & Suites - Swift Current, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words for Home Inn & Suites in Swift Current. I am pleased that you enjoyed the little things we put in your room to make it feel like home. We do sell both the bath robes and slippers so you can enjoy them from the comfort of your own home as well as in our hotel. We hope you have had a great summer and that you will come back to see us again!
Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is the second year that we've stopped here overnight on our way out west. Booking a room was a negative of this stay, as I was placed on hold for five minutes at my expense, as they do not have a toll-free number (and I did not call during check-out or check-in times). Checking-in was slow too as the staff at the desk did not know how to do so and we had to wait for another staff member to return. We stayed in a suite with 2 queen beds and a sofa bed, microwave, fridge, tv in each area. Perfect for a family of four with a preteen and teenager. The room is clean and spacious. Wifi was very slow this year. Breakfast is adequate, no complaints. The all-day coffee is appreciated and I like how the breakfast seating area remains open all day. The pool and water slide were a nice refreshing end to a long travelling day. Looking forward to staying here again next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry that you had a negative experience with the check-in process. Our policy is to answer within three rings, but there are times when the Front Desk Agent cannot get to the phone because she is serving other guests or is handling other calls. That would be the situation where she would have put you on hold. I am sorry you had to wait so long for her to take your reservation.

I'm sure you can appreciate that we have new staff that need to be trained and I'm sorry that you again had to wait, but we sincerely hope that the wait was worth it, and it looks by your review that you did enjoy your stay.

On the internet issues, we have a gentleman In our building upgrading the internet as we speak, so next time you are here, all those issues should be resolved.

Thanks for staying with us and we welcome you back when you are in the area
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

One night stay while travelling to Western Canada. This place looks pretty new. Would stay here again. Kids (9 and 7) liked the pool and water slide. Close to the shopping center, highway and casino. Staff was nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Nancy P, General Manager at Home Inn & Suites - Swift Current, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
It was a pleasure to read your review of Home Inn & Suites - Swift Current. We often hear squeals of laughter and fun coming from the pool area and it warms our hearts to hear that your children had the opportunity to be part of that fun. We are so thrilled that you got to interact with our staff. Please stop by and visit again if you are in the area. Have a great summer!
North Battleford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Super modern, new and clean hotel. We were all wowed when we walked in. Best sleep we've had on our trip. Loved the granite counter in the room and wall mounted tv. Good breakfast. Only suggestion for the hotel - have the waterslide on in the am before check out for families who arrive late and can't use the pool before bed. (Pool opens @9, but slide @4) If you are a gambler, it is right behind the casino.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Nancy P, General Manager at Home Inn & Suites - Swift Current, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words for Home Inn & Suites in Swift Current. I am so glad that you enjoyed the amenities we offer and had a restful sleep... I am so sorry that your children did not get to utilize the pool and waterslide. It is unfortunate when the pool is not open and the children have to just look at the waterslide instead of having fun on it...I will pass on your comments about the pool to our Head Office. Please visit us again anytime you are in the area.
Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This evening was day 20 of a 52 day cycling trip across Canada. My daughter is cycling and my husband and I drive behind. She is raising money and awareness for mental health and suicide prevention. When I told the receptionist why we were there, they discounted our room by 50%. The hotel felt like a castle compared to some of the other not so pleasant stays we have had and they were far far more generous than a chain that we have stayed in. The rooms are large, comfy, CLEAN and well appointed. They are generous with their breakfast. Very family oriented with pool, hot tub and big slide. You are greeted with munchies at the counter and lemon infused water.
Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Nancy P, General Manager at Home Inn & Suites - Swift Current, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words when you reviewed Home Inn & Suites - Swift Current. You touched upon a lot of the things that make our guests keep coming back for another stay. What an incredible awareness you are making for mental health issues and suicide prevention. We were very happy to help with your cause and wish you safe travels as you continue on your journey.