“Tomestone National Park, Yukon” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dempster Highway

Ranked #31 of 116 things to do in Yukon
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic highway near the Arctic Circle.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tomestone National Park, Yukon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

When you drive up the Dempster Hwy toward the National park you feel as if you have entered another land. A land that was once filled with Woolly Mammoths and the mountains speak in an ancient language.
Start your visit at the Tombstone Interpretive Centre which is a 1.5 hour drive from Dawson City, Yukon, 7 hours from Whitehorse. At the centre you will learn of park info, such as grizzly bear dangers and camping.
There are a few day trip hikes that you can do but also some overnight trips. I did the Grizzly Lake trip and it was unreal. The rock formations of the rocks are beautiful. I also did the Goldenslide trail. It is short but very steep, but has awesome views of the valleys.
For more info and maps check out the website:

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Nicole C

Medicine Hat, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Scenic Winter Drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We did this drive on way to Inuvik and then on to the ice road to Tuktoyaktuk . The Dempster
Highway was very scenic with all the mountains and valleys covered in pure white snow. You do
need a very reliable 4x4 to do this trip. We had to wait 3 hours about the half way point for the
highway to open, which was lucky for us as others had been waiting 36 hours. There is a restaurant and hotel at Eagle Plains and you can buy gas too. Total driving time was about
7 hours.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Shannon O
Seattle, Washington
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Ha...as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

with a little disappointment. I guess I've drove to too many nicer place so My expectation is high.(Think banff/jasper or NP of Utah) But when I see the pictures and youtube video of this highway. I did lowered my expectation.
Don't get me wrong.....Dempster is an adventure of it's own. I meant...where else in the world you can drive for 370+ km with nothing in between, no cell phone coverage, no hotel/motel, no gas station.
I guess we didn't choose the right time, if you do come, come during the fall (sept) when the leaves turn yellow and colorful. we visit the highway in July. Almost didn't encounter any wild animal or the colorful view that you get during the autumn. All we get is bunch of mosquito bites as souvenirs.

If you do come, be prepared, very very well prepared. there are notes all over the internet tell you what you need. Beside the basic such as extra food/water/gas. you probably need
2 full spare tires (check the air too)
tire repair kits
full oil change with spare motor oil, break fluid etc. car jack, air bumps, duck tapes, fuse, hand tools, multi-tools, first aid kits, satellite phone and/or CB radio, and last but not least
A LOT OF BUG REPELLENTS (ESPECIALLY MOSQUITO REPELLENTS!!!) (If you come during the summer that is. get the one with highest DEET concentration you can find....I am talking about like 90+ % of DEET.
AFTER ALL, Yukon has a human population of about 35,000 but it has 35 TRILLION MOSQUITOS DURING THE SUMMER!!! (i AM NOT JOKING! LOOK IT UP! don't ask me how they get the number, i have no idea either!) that's 1 billion MOSQUITO for each of you who are there at the time! don't say i don't warn you! :)
like i said...it is a nice adventure of it's own right. so be safe and have fun!

Visited July 2013
9 Thank jplonmars
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Most epic fall colours you will see anywhere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Built in the 1958 to facilitate oil and gas exploration it provides access to the 1st Nations community in Inuvik in the winter, via ice highway to Tuktoyaktuk on the Beaufort Sea/Artic Ocean.

We took our time exploring the Dempster by Toyota Tacoma bike and by foot.

Its a gravel road, built over the Permafrost. Off the highway you can hike, but the ground is either Tussocky, Rocky or wet. There are some established trails, the best resource for information is Walter Lanz - Along the Dempster which you can buy at the Tombstone Visitors center.

We were there just when the fall colours started, what a difference a few days makes!

Visited September 2013
6 Thank Sharonbader
Sydney, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Road not bad condition”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were very once with road condition base on other reviews, but turns out much better than expected. It's well maintained gravel road, but with portholes in parts which we easily avoided since there is no other on coming traffic. We were there at end of Aug, so may be there's less car? We only drove up to 2 moose lake, so not sure road condition beyond that.

Landscape is stunning, reminds me of Montana. We were hoping for autumn colours, but was told we were 1 week too early. There was no wild life when we visited. We didnt camp at Tombstone because its minus5-8 at night already, and during the day, it still feels 5-10 degree cooler tan actual Dawson city

Visited August 2013