“Very friendly and the nicest hotel in Whitehorse”
Review of SKKY Hotel

SKKY Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Although it is always wonderful to discover the "out of the way" parts of Canada, the compromise is always the very low standard of Canadian accommodation. However, this hotel is the exception to the rule.

The interior of the hotel is more likely to be found somewhere in Vancouver, rather than in the Yukon. It has its own restaurant, which we ate in on both nights of our stay. The first night I ordered starter and entree, and on the second night, I ordered just an entree. The portions are very large - and more importantly, very good. I only waited 10 minutes, for very obvious, freshly made meals.

We stayed here for the start of our dog sledding expedition with the Company Muktuk based in Whitehorse, so we did not hire a car from the airport. If you need to get into town (although just one visit really is enough to see everything), then you will have to use a taxi, both ways.

Breakfast is not really provided for, and I can understand why having seen the town. Instead a free selection of pastries is offered with tea and coffee. These are totally complimentary and it was a nice gesture - as they could just say, "we do not offer breakfast". (I do not know how previous reviewers can complain about free food??? no pleasing some people!!!)

The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. There is a free airport shuttle to and from the airport - although it is just across the road, with temperatures at -31, you really do not want to walk the 2 km with your luggage.

We stayed in the presidential suite, which was large and well appointed with 2 gas fireplaces, a jacuzzi bath, and lots of nice little extras, which I have normally only found in large city hotels and when paying $400+ per night. This suite only cost $175 per night.

I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

It does not have a gym or a swimming pool. I do not use either in ANY hotel, for hygiene reasons, so this really was not a problem for us.

Room Tip: Opt for the presidential suite or one of the executive suites. They are the price of a normal room i...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank viscountwalden
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. I especially appreciate your comments about the complimentary coffee and pastries offered in the morning. To my knowledge, we are the only hotel in Whitehorse which offers such and it has struck me as odd that people have complained about such when it is in fact free, as you aptly pointed out. Thank you as well for the kind words about our staff, which we take great pride in. Your comments about accommodation in the north are quite correct and we have tried to offer a pleasing alternative to our guest. We very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for SKKY Hotel

Reviewed 30 November 2012

The Skky Hotel was named the #2 hotel on Trip Advisor. Travellers beware that it is far from downtown and every taxi trip costs $14-$20 one way. The hotel is very basic and we were given a room on the ground floor in which the heating did not work in October! A utility worker in the hotel was told to move our baggage and left us standing for 30 mns - during which he disappeared. The receptionist ultimately dragged our bags to another room on the second floor. Continental breakfast consisted of doughnuts and coffee every day for three days. The last day some dry oranges were added to the breakfast. Being diabetic my request for a slice of toast was denied. Nowhere to eat a meal except in the hotel restaurant which is opened only limited hours. The diner near the hotel was dirty, with food all over the floor and plates presented were sloppy and unappealing. A request to have the floor cleaned was ignored. The Skky Front Office staff was very good and friendly, but had their hands tied due to lack of facilities in the hotel. I did see a bathrobe and disposible slippers in one of the hotel photos, but did not even expect to find them in the room.

Room Tip: One trip advisor traveller recommended a room on the ground floor - big mistake!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. With respect to the heating, there was an issue with the heating in that specific room and I understand you were moved to another room which had no issue. Our breakfast snacks are completely complimentary and we are working on improving the offerings. I am unaware of any other hotel in Whitehorse that provides free breakfast snacks, except for us. The dinner near the hotel that you reference is not owned by us and is part of another hotel down the road. I am sorry that you had a bad experience there, but unfortunately we have nothing to do with that. We provide bathrobes and slippers to our executive suites and to other guests upon request. We are located across from the airport on the Alaska highway and most guests find it to be a convenient location, though I understand the difficulty if you have no car and must take Taxis. We are the newest and most modern hotel in the Yukon and if you visited the other hotels in Whitehorse, you will find that they are much more "basic" than ours. Again, I thank you for your review and we shall endeavour to make whatever improvements we can to fully satisfy future guests.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

Don't judge a book by its cover. The hotel doesn't look like much from the outside, but I was pleasently surprised by the interior. Clean, modern rooms. Small, but all the basics are covered. Very comfortable beds. Prices are good and I was appreciative to have a compliematary shuttle to the airport even if it was across the street.

The only con... I wish they had bottled water in the room, even if you have to pay for it.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

I have been staying at the Skky, Sunday to Thursday, since May. My first impression, when I saw the outside was, it was but another sub arctic hotel, then I walked in. I was greeted by a comfy yet very modern ambience. I walked into my room and it was the same, modern yet comfortable, and the beds are so good. The bathroom, though no tub, which I am happy there wasn't one is great with one of the best showers ever.

The Skky reminds me of some of my favorite hotel rooms in Europe, only adapted to the climate. The staff of the Skky extend amazing hospitality and really make you feel like a welcome guest. So I highly recommend jewel in the rough north.

2  Thank travelmuch13
Reviewed 10 November 2012

My second stay at the Skky, My rooms have been well appointed clean and comfortable. The beds are excellent. The restaurant is good. Breakfast needs work - it some some donuts and coffee. The location is out off the way - just across from the airport.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is my third stay at the SKKY, all business related. This is my choice hotel for Whitehorse. It falls short of "excellent" because it is not equipped with a pool, or gym but otherwise it is fantastic. Great restaurant, beautiful rooms. I hope my next trip will be in the summer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Thank you for your kind review and we are very pleased to have you as a repeat guest at the Skky Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you in the future and hope we can continue to make your stays happy and enjoyable.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

I arrived at the hotel at 1:15am, after a trip on the airport shuttle, which takes passengers to various hotels in town. Check-in was very quick, since the receptionist had my information ready and the key programmed. Although there is no elevator, it wasn't too difficult to get my bags up to the second floor. The bed was very comfortable!

Bathroom is small and in the morning, it took several minutes before hot water was available in the shower. The view from he hotel across to the airport is amazing! Check-out was also very quick and efficient.

This is a great hotel, near the airport. Perfect if you have a rental, since you cannot walk to downtown. Other than the lack of elevator and hot water in the shower, I thought this was a great night's stay! I would recommend it, based on the review above.

Room Tip: Second floor balcony provides a great view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Thank you for your kind review. We are always delighted to hear from our guests and especially so when they have enjoined their stay with us. I hope we can welcome you again soon.