“Skyy Hotel, Whitehorse Yukon”
Review of SKKY Hotel

SKKY Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kingston, Canada
“Skyy Hotel, Whitehorse Yukon”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My son and I stayed at the Skky Hotel in Whitehorse for one night in late August 2013. We were on the first floor. The room was excellent - up-to-date furnishings, very nice, very clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful when we got lost when we were looking for an address.

I think they should have made the ceiling more sound-proof to reduce the noise of people on the second floor. There was a family above us - loud kids, stomping around, noisy in the washroom. Not too big of a deal since we didn't go to bed until 10:00 but for anyone going to bed earlier would have had a hard time of it.

Their continental breakfast consisted of cereal (which people had difficulty getting out of the containers), coffee and toast. However, the 2 toasters didn't work. Their dining room was in the process of construction but I think it'll look great when it's done. Hopefully they improve their breakfast offerings when it's completed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank you for your review and comments and your appreciation of our modern , clean, hotel and helpful friendly staff. I am sorry that there was a family upstairs causing some noise, this is rare and unfortunate. The upstairs rooms are carpeted and noise insulated to reduce any noise to ground floor rooms.

The new operators of our restaurant will soon be offering an a la carte hot breakfast, which we believe our guests will be very pleased with. The new restaurant is now open and it is fabulous. We hope we can welcome you again on your next trip to Whitehorse.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Fraser Valley BC
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Very clean, comfortable, modern, bright. Luxury compared to some places we stayed on our Vancouver - Alaska round trip. Slept very well, Staff lovely. Absolutely no complaints, highly recommended. We made a huge mistake not booking our return trip room - we arrived at the hotel and it was fully booked so had to stay elsewhere :( Receptionist kindly called around 6/7 hotels to find alternative room for us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
We are very pleased to read about your "excellent stay". Your review encapsulates what we are attempting to provide to our guests in terms of cleanliness, comfort and modernity . We also very much appreciate your comments about our lovely staff, which is a view shared by the majority of our guests and a source of pride for us. I am sorry we were sold out on your return trip and am glad the receptionist assisted you in finding alternate accommodation. I hope that we can welcome you again on your next trip and thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing your comments.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable, and that's basically what you get at this hotel. Front desk staff were pretty clueless. We asked what the charge is for long distance. Answer: I don't know. We booked the suite with a king bed and a sofa bed, for three people. We pulled out the sofa bed, and there were no sheets on it. We had to call the front desk, and someone promptly came up and dropped the sheets on the sofa bed and left.

There was a sad little breakfast of toast and cereal, but I guess that's more than what we expected.

No elevator and lots of doors made hauling luggage around pretty difficult as well.

It is clean, and it is quiet. If that's all you care about, then this would be good. Convenient to the Alaska Highway, but far away from anything near downtown.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel and comfortable beds, which the vast majority of our guests comment on. We are sorry that you found the service "subpar" , which is contrary to what the vast majority of our guests have said. In fact, most of our guests comment on the excellent and friendly service of the hotel staff. We are a five minute taxi ride to downtown and the majority of our guests appreciate the fact that the area surrounding the hotel is extremely quiet, as opposed to the hotels downtown close to the bars, which can be quite noisy. Most of our guests are looking for a good nights sleep in a quiet, clean and modern hotel, which is what we strive to provide.
Alberta
Reviewed 9 September 2013

stayed here over the sept. long weekend, great clean room ,comfortable bed, across from airport, only complaint I would have is that the restaurant was closed due to remodel, front desk staff were some of the best I have ever met

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent review and it gives us great pleasure that you found us to be a wonderful hotel. I am also happy to tell you that the new and exciting Volare Restaurant and Tapas Lounge is now open as of September 21, 2013, and I hope that we can welcome you again soon. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments.
Planet Earth
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed in room 213.

Pros: quiet, nice sized, renovated room, with standard amenities. A/C works well, we used it even though it was cool outside, the insulation must be good. comfortable, roomy, king sized, thermarest(?) bed, good daily cleaning service.

Cons: squeaky bathroom door, could not be corrected after 2 requests, handheld shower nozzle does not work and could not be corrected, electrical face plate fell off during use. Toilet lid clinks when moved, could not be corrected.

Overall a good hotel in WhiteHorse across freeway from airport, with good service. Free breakfast is coffee, toast, cold cereal. Hotel restaurant is closed for renovation, a short walk next door to a local restaurant/motel.

Room Tip: upstair rooms are probably quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your comments and are happy you enjoyed your stay. With respect to the maintenance issues you raised, those have been attended to and we thank you for pointing such out. As you know, a hotel requires constant monitoring for such issues given the high amount of guest traffic and I have spoken to our full time maintenance person to ensure that such issues are minimized.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay.
guelph
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and found it to be very clean and the beds were the most comfortable beds we have ever slept on! Also the shower was great. The staff were extremely friendly and courteous, internet was great, it was across from the airport and there was a restaurant next door which had very good food. The hotel is on the outskirts of town but it is only a short taxi ride into Whitehorse. Our flight arrived early and they were able to let us into our room early. Also we had to return our RV early in the morning and again they were able to give us entry into our room early. Breakfast consisted of toast, cereal, coffee & tea and the only thing I would have liked was some juice. We were a family of four,3 adults and 1 child, and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor as there are no elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rebelGuelph
Thank you for your wonderful review. It always gives us great pleasure to know that our guests have been pleased with their stay. Many guests comment on the comfort of our beds and the cleanliness of our hotel. We are the newest and most modern hotel in the Yukon and strive to deliver an excellent experience to all our guests. We are very happy to hear your comments and thank you for such.
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was in Whitehorse for my first time recently and stayed at the Skky Hotel near the airport. It was an overall great experience and will stay there again when Im back. I chose the hotel because of its closeness to the airport as I initially didn't know how long I would stay in Whitehorse. The TripAdvisor reviews seemed pretty positive and I have just completed an 18 month trip around the world, and relied on the reviews in selecting hotels. I appreciate the honest reviews.
I was given a room on the main level of the hotel and pleased to discover the wood floors instead of carpet. The entire hotel had been entirely gutted and everything is new in the interior of the hotel, I found out. The bed was comfortable and bathroom very generous in size. All amenities were done up in good taste. And as an architect and developer, I appreciate good taste.
When I went to extend my stay, the front desk told me that the hotel is sold out most nights so probably couldn't accommodate me. But I said if I needed to go somewhere else for a night or two, Id go to down to Alaska and then return to Skky Hotel. So they booked me back in on the thursday and I made sure I had a booking for the rest of my stay there.
I want to mention that the assistant manager, Vienna was so polite and helpful to me. All the staff were good, but she went out of her way to help me with all my questions and even helped me get a booking in a B&B in Alaska. Also Carina at reception was an able lady at working with my schedule and never got annoyed at me asking her questions.
I would highly recommend the Skky Hotel to anyone staying in Whitehorse.
BTW the scenery and clean mountain air was incredible. I give it a thumbs up from an experienced international traveler.

Room Tip: Every room is new, so depends if you like first or second floor...I stayed in both.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank fly2fast
Francesco C, General Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are very pleased that you came to our hotel and enjoyed your stay in Whitehorse. I am particularly happy to see your comments about our excellent staff and will pass such on to our assistant Manager, Viena, and our front desk agent Kareen, whom you cited. It was a pleasure hosting you and we hope to do so again in future.