“Loved my stay at this hotel”
Review of SKKY Hotel

SKKY Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I were in Whitehorse for our first time in November and stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. We loved the fact that it was across from the airport and there was a shuttle bus that picked us up. The rooms are modern and the beds are extremely comfortable. The hotel is very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant which is attached to the hotel had great food and very reasonable prices. We would recommend this hotel and restaurant to anyone travelling to Whitehorse.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A H
There are newer reviews for SKKY Hotel

Reviewed 8 January 2014

What a wonderful experience I had with the Skky Hotel. First, it is so close to the airport, you could walk (but I didn't because of the snow lol)! I was there on business and stayed 2 nights. The room was modern and spacious. The bed was so comfortable, I had to pull up the beautiful linens to see the brand of mattress. The hotel was spotless and super quiet. The staff were wonderful and always with a smile on their face.

I highly recommend Skky, and if I am ever in Whitehorse again, I know exactly where I am staying. 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2014

You're way better off to book a hotel in downtown Whitehorse. We spent a fortune on taxis. There isn't breakfast at the hotel so even coffee was a taxi into Tim Horton's. The girl at the desk was polite but unable to answer a single question and didn't even know what a roll-away bed or cot was.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Mama20132014:

Thank you for your review. I am sorry the location of the hotel was not to your liking. Most of our guests like the convenience of being across from the airport on the Alaska Highway with ample free parking and in a very quiet area. The downtown is a 7 minute and $10 taxi ride away and there is also public transit, though many of our guests have or rent vehicles to visit Alaska etc.

As for breakfast, there is a hotel next door that offers a full breakfast, and we will be offering such in the coming months as well. There is also free coffee and tea in all our rooms.

Finally, I am very surprised by your comment that the front desk staff did not know what a cot or roll away bed is. All of our front desk staff are very experienced hotel staff and some of them with years of 5 star hotel experience. They are impeccably polite, as you pointed out, and most guests find them helpful and professional with anything they request. I can assure you they all know what a cot or roll away bed is, though we have neither at the hotel, we do have sofa beds that can be converted to allow more than two guests to stay in the room at a surcharge.

I wish you pleasant future travels.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I was on business trip and reserved ahead. The room was ok in setup. But from the beginning it
was so hot, no way to get a good sleep. We had to open the window, but the AC/Heater kicked in all the time.
We ask the reception what can be done, she was friendly but not very helpful.
After 2 visits from the front desk to the room I decided to shut the heater system down.. unplugged it.
But the room was so overheated, that we had to sleep with the open window for the rest of the night (and this in November)...noisy!
The mattress was not very good, very soft (memory foam???), you will have a hard time to find
a comfortable sleeping position.
We had to make a few phone calls inside the Yukon. After we got the bill in the morning we couldn't believe the price we had to pay.
We will not stay again, Whitehorse has better places for better prices.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank whitehorse1964
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed because it was too hot in the room. In November, when you stayed, we had temperatures up to minus 30 and thus the heating system was responding accordingly. Opening the window just a little would have certainly immediately cooled your room, which apparently you did. I am unsure about the noise you were speaking about as a result of opening your window, since the location of the hotel is extremely quiet, which many guests comment upon. We are not "downtown" and thus away from the local bars and nightclubs that are located in the city centre. In any event, had you requested, the front desk could have moved you to an alternate room and it is unfortunate that you did not so request.

As for the bed, that too is a point of very positive comments from the guests, the vast majority of which find the beds extremely comfortable. Again, I am sorry the beds were not to your liking as not all people enjoy the new memory foam type mattresses, which is the only type of mattress I personally find comfortable. We wish you all best and thank you for staying with us,

Reviewed 25 December 2013

If not for the snow, we would have walked to the hotel from the airport. Yes, it's that near! The guy who checked us in was a little straight-faced but the other staff were always smiley and ready to help. Room was spacious, bed firm the way I like it and toilet clean. Would be nice to have breakfast included.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The hotel was fine and the location close to the hotel was very handy.

However we booked the hotel expecting that breakfast was provided. Evidently they have recently taken this away and no longer provide breakfast. Even though the in-house room guide (photo attached) still has breakfast listed as provided and when we booked the room it was listed as available. If I had known this was being changed I would have booked a different hotel, no apologies were made for this change from the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that the absence of breakfast made your experience poor, but we were only providing complimentary continental breakfast in the high season. The in-room information was from the high season and has now been corrected. Thank you for pointing that out.

In the new year it is our plan to offer an a la carte breakfast in our restaurant. There is also a breakfast place next door for guests. I do not believe there is any hotel in Whitehorse that provides a free breakfast and most of our guests love not only our location, but the boutique style of the hotel. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed at the SKKY in July on while traveling to the Arctic Ocean in July. Very good service and very nice room. Wish they had an elevator - not for me, but for others who may need one. Loved the shower. I will definitely be staying here again on my next motorcycle trip to the Arctic. Very convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo