“Disappointing To Say The Least”
Review of SKKY Hotel

SKKY Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing To Say The Least”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at this property last August. The pictures used in the advertising portrayed this as a bright, modern alternative to some of the other less sophisticated properties in the area. Also advertised at the time we made the reservation was an on-site restaurant. Since it was also close to the airport we thought we had a winner. Instead we got basically a motel room, with poorly constructed "newer" refurbishments that were poorly fitted and already starting to fall apart. The restaurant had been closed for some time leaving us to wander across the parking lot and down the road to the only restaurant/bar alternative in the area for a meal. Breakfast the next day was some bread you could toast and some packets of peanut butter or dry cereal. Fortunately the independent shuttle to the airport rescued us the next morning. Don't stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoomZoom
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for your review from your stay with us about 7 months ago. I am sorry you were disappointed as over 80 per cent of our guests rate us very good or excellent.

We are indeed the newest and most modern hotel in Whitehorse, completely and newly renovated about 5 years. At the time you stayed in August, 2013, there was an issue with the restaurant as we were in between operators. That has now been resolved and we have a lovely Tapas Restaurant and Lounge now.

The Breakfast provided to you, which was not to your liking, was complimentary. It consisted of coffee, tea, toast, jams, peanut butter, cereal, etc, so your review is rather incomplete with respect to such.

In any case, we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations and wish you safe and happy future travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I'm a Yukoner and stayed here for the first time back in Feb. Got a post-stay email from Skky asking for my review and saying if I replied to that email, I would be replying directly to mgmt. I did, but never got any response, so decided to post my review here instead.

Hadn't stayed here before and wanted to try it, sometimes (as on this occasion) I'm just overnighting here and don't really need to be downtown. Otherwise, with no vehicle, you'd spend a fortune on cabs if you stayed here.

Anyway, my flight coming back from Edmonton had been delayed so I was already late getting in and tired, looking forward to a relaxing night in what I had been told was some luxury hotel. Check in was fine, had lots of heavy luggage so looked around for some kind of luggage rack, was told there wasn't any. Started walking down the hall looking for the elevator. A staff lady pointed me in the direction of the stairs (there is no elevator), so I hauled all my luggage up the stairs. Three different staff members saw me or passed me, not one offered to help. Room was nice enough, if you like that sort of Vancouver boutique style, but other than the shower I didn't think it was all that fancy. The Best Western downtown has just as nice rooms with similar beds and bigger size bathrooms, plus you're right downtown for convenience and don't have to look out the window at an industrial area.

The worst part: it was absolutely freezing in the room, the air conditioning was on (in the Yukon in February??), but I turned up the thermostat heat (or so I thought), unpacked most of my stuff as I wanted to reorganize my bags, and waited for it to warm up. A couple hours later it was still freezing, ice cold air blasting out of the wall unit, had tried numerous things with the thermostat but nothing working. Called front desk, girl told me to do everything I had already tried. I agreed to try again, an hour later phoned back and said it still wasn't working. Girl came to the room to look at it, but obviously didn't have any mechanical knowledge. Offered to have me move rooms, but by this time it was almost 11pm, I had to be at the airport at 6:30am and had my stuff all over the place, just didn't feel like moving. Girl brought me a tiny portable heater to "counteract" the A/C, it was quite useless and so noisy I didn't get any sleep at all.

Restaurant was REALLY expensive for those of us on a budget, ended up ordering pizza to eat in my room. I thought maybe on checkout I would get an offer of a discount next stay, or some other attempt to apologize for my crappy experience, but nothing. Yes, I know, I could have switched rooms, but overall I just wasn't impressed. For the same or even cheaper price, I can stay downtown in a comparable if not larger room, have elevators, amenities within walking distance, affordable restaurants in the hotel, and better customer service. Don't understand why people like this place so much???

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MK1468
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

First off all, we never received an email as indicated by you, so perhaps it got lost in cyberspace. Had such been received, I would have responded.

With respect to your issues, I will address as follows:

1. We do have a luggage rack for guest use and I am surprised it was not available to you. You could have asked the front desk.

2. Generally the vast majority of our guests comment about how helpful and friendly our staff is and I am sorry if that was not your experience.

3. Most of our guests enjoy being close to the airport, a convenient 7 minute taxi ride to downtown, but away from the downtown bars and night club noise.

4. We rarely, if ever, have guests complain about cold rooms and I am sorry that there seemed to be an issue. As you pointed out, we would have happily moved you to another room. All our mechanical systems are new, having been in operation only 5 years. We have have radiant floor heating on the ground floor, so that's where the heat comes from, not the in wall units which are only there for air conditioning in the summer. On the second floor, the in wall units both heat and air condition the rooms.

5. The restaurant is separately operated and their prices are comparable to others in Whitehorse.

6. Finally, our guests like us so much because we are a boutique style hotel, newly renovated and modern, which distinguishes us from the other hotels in Whitehorse. They also comment about our excellent customer service and we are very proud of our excellent staff. As well, our rates are better or comparable to the hotels you mentioned.

If you contact me directly at calandraco@rogers.com, I would be happy to discuss a good will gesture if you ever wish to stay with us again. As I note that you are a resident of Whitehorse, I would be happy to meet with you in person as well. Either way, I wish you safe and happy travels.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Been to Whitehorse many times. First time at the SKKY. We are world travelers and would be delighted to find this hotel anywhere. Absolute luxury. First class staff also. What a great surprise to find it in Whitehorse after 10 hours of driving.

Room Tip: Can't imagine the SKKY having anything but first class rooms. Also property is non smoking.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The hotel was quite nice and was a 5 minute walk from the airport. Hotel was nicely furnished. I would recommend staying here. I think it's really silly how I am required to type 200 characters for this review.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank David T
Toad River, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed various times, May 2013 most recent. Have stayed at a few places in Whitehorse, but this is my favourite hands-down, and is always my go-to "Home away from home". Building looks dated, but just wait until you get inside. Everything has been renovated and it looks very luxurious, from the front desk to your room. All staff have been extremely friendly to me on all visits. Hard-wood floors, tall ceilings and COMFORTABLE beds make this place stellar to the rest. Very clean throughout, no noise whenever I stay, and the whole place feels modern, you don't feel the floors creaking when you walk through the hallways, and it doesn't have a dark "feel" like so many other places in Whitehorse. Definitely do stay if you come through Whitehorse.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave1453
Eagle River, AK
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Not many options in Whitehorse for the weary traveler. Found this place in the Milepost and after 12 hours of driving, it was a delight. We looked at a few hotels downtown but there were lots of drunks and it was loud. This place was quiet and seemed safe enough for parking our car full of stuff. Beds were comfy, the rooms were clean and modern. It's not too far from downtown for those who care to go explore. Truly a gem for the Alcan traveler!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jennifer M
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We got the Presidential suite , which had a living room with fireplace, master bed room with fireplace that also heated the huge bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and a huge snow filled balcony , at little over $100 a night , only thing there is no elevators so it is a little struggle dragging bags up and down

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple