“Didn't know it could be this hot!”
Review of Airport Chalet

Airport Chalet
Airport Chalet
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Holmes Beach, Florida
“Didn't know it could be this hot!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed in the hotel and was initially pleasantly surprised. The rooms are dated, with wood panelling on the walls, but it had an eclectic type of feel. However, it was close to 35 Celsius in the room. There is no air conditioning and even though it was cool outside, opening the window did nothing. I had a single fan that I had to keep close by at all times. I did ask for another fan, but they had run out. I believe when I walked by another room in the morning I saw a portable air conditioner in it. I guess it's a first come, first serve basis.

The room was clean and had a fridge (actually 2), microwave, stove, cable and suprisingly some of the fastest wifi I had on my 5 month journey across Canada. There is also a restaurant on site.

I suppose the heat issue isn't an issue in the winter.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Yakima
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I have stayed in the Airport Chalet many times on my trips to Alaska and have always had great service and enjoy the rooms that are separate from the main building. Very quiet and good rooms. Hope to stay there on my return trip home in late August.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Mildred B
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because literally every other decent room in Whitehorse was occupied. They apparently don't book through any of the online sites, and have no phone number listed with TA. I finally googled them and got the number from their website. Is located directly across from the airport, about a half mile walk. Property is very old and dated for the money. Unfortunately we were there during a freak 2week heat wave and the place has NO A/C. Our room was literally in the 90's all night long, resulting in no sleep for me (review may be somewhat biased). Room was decent and clean, bed was soso, restaurant is very slow with decent food, staff was very nice/friendly. Room was over $90 which was way too much imo, but the location is very convenient. A good backup plan or quick one night stay, would plan ahead and stay somewhere nicer if possible.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Billpov
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 18 January 2013

You know the truth of it is that I don't always look for the million dollar light fixtures and beds you need a step ladder to get into but more the feel when you enter the place. As long as it's clean, friendly and the staff when the say "hello can I help you" they look at you not through you. Not only is the staff great the owner and his wife are on the property and accessible. The lounge is a great place to meet locals, chat and have a meal and beverage or go across the lobby to the restaurant. The property is full of History and stories and that is a bonus. I left with a smile and would return without a thought. The owners are constantly working on things there and without a doubt it is noticed. If you are looking for at neat place to stay give them a try. Keep up the great work there.

Room Tip: Grab one with a kitchen unit.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank JackandPam2011
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I had a chance to visit Whitehorse,Yukon last winter as a part of my precious vacation.lol! (YUKON,wow..wut a exotic-arctic place to imagine) Unlike visiting other big Canadian city like Van and Toronto, it was not easy to find out "adequate" staying there. Fortunately I could find and book this Hotel,(actually I tripadisored and googled myself- Especially remarkable location looks good to my family)

I stayed this Airport Chalet with my family from Last December 18 to 22. Well I could remember atmosphere around there was kinda cozy, comfy still a bit conservative.
Overall score 90 out of 100.(my subjective opinion)

Pros.
#1. Fantastic location from the airport. ..you can literally walk to hotel from airport.!
#2. Foods served at the restaurant and Beverages at the bar were both excellent.
#3. Cozy,Clean bed, Nice screen TV
#4. Relatively well equiped necessary amendment.

Cons.
#1. a bit oldy....i can say.
#2, WIFIless...-> im not sure it could be problem of my device.

Housestaffs were very nice and kind....also you can never be disappointed by their dishes at the main restaurant. Definitely I can say this hotel became one of my favorite stay.

Room Tip: Definitely you will be happy when you choose non-smoking option
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Ryan P
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Stayed in the main hotel, not the "newer" more expensive motel portion at the rear. Things were definitely well worn and we had a room next to the furnace that made rude noises around the clock. Outside of that, it was close to the airport, clean, nice friendly staff. It seemed expensive, but comparing prices around town, it was a good deal for a night. Local bed and breakfast places seem to be a much better deal. Might or might not stay here again - would depend on the circumstances.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charliethetraveller1
Willow, Alaska
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We have stayed here a few time now and I would probably stay again but we were a little disappointed with our last stay. We had reservations for a pet room and somehow things got mixed up and our reservation was not recorded as a pet room. They were accommodating and let us stay in the hotel itself (all pet rooms were full) but it was noisey and the room were not as nice.

The restraurant was convenient and the fried chicken was good but service was slow. Overall the rate was very high for the off season (early May) but the location is better for travelers on the Alcan because you can avoid the downtown if you want. I would probably stay again but if they messed up on our reservations again it would be my last stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are nicer and quieter then the ones in the motel itself.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business