“Great hotel for enjoying the Yukon experience”

Best Western Gold Rush Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Brisbane, Australia
“Great hotel for enjoying the Yukon experience”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed here four nights early March travelling to Whitehorse to view the Northern Lights. The service was great - the staff friendly and helpful. The room was warm, roomy, clean and very comfortable. We have a room over Main Street and the snow covered hill in the background. Perfect for people from the tropics! The location was very central for exploring Whitehorse. We enjoyed the restaurant each night of our stay after choosing to stay in the warmth! The staff were friendly, service good even when they were busy and the food great. Luckily were were there Tuesday night when mussels were on the menu! All in all a great hotel to enjoy the Yukon experience.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The rooms were well kept, warm and the hotel is right down town close to everything. Free WiFi, comfy bed and good TV. Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. Staff in the lounge/restaurant on the otherhand were surly and appeared to have a resentful attitude towards serving the customers. Food in the restaurant was poor and tasteless.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The hotel has an airport shuttle which is great, and the location is good for the price. I stayed on two separate nights and was pretty impressed the first night, a little less so the second. The staff were good – not inattentive but at the same time overly friendly or patronizing. There is a games library and book exchange beside the drink machines which was a nice touch.

A couple of less-than-great parts: as good as the hotel staff were, the bar staff were lousy. I don’t expect to be the centre of attention all the time, but I had to ask the three staff members if one of them could take a break from their textathon and serve us. There were about 15 people total in the bar at the time and we waited five (I counted) minutes before finally taking it on ourselves to request some service. To top it off, the food was pretty mediocre. Ho-hum pub fare without much imagination or variety, so unless you’re really starved there are other better options in the neighbourhood.

The internet was deathly slow. It was really hard to get a decent signal on any of my various devices, though when I went down the street to Starbucks they all worked perfectly. So whether it’s a service provider problem or a hotel problem I do not know, but it takes less time to walk the few blocks, buy a latte and access a handful of PDF files than it does to try and read them in your hotel room.

Lastly, and this is something I should have raised with them at the time but was just too tired, the room I got on my second stay had some cleanliness issues. The details are gross but if I had one recommendation it would be better vacuuming. I give the hotel a “good” because it’s better value than other places I’ve stayed in Whitehorse. It would be an “average” if it were down south, but for the Yukon it gets the extra vote.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Frodsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have got to agree with most of the comments so far to be honest, we arrived at 1am and the night staff where not that cheery, but there on nights I hear you say, yes but you can still smile when new people arrive, not that welcoming based on the fact I have never been to Canada before and had travelled from Nova Scotia , Ottawa , Vancouver to Whitehorse and every person we met was fantastic even the passport control people, so if they can be nice so can the night staff, am not saying they were rude just a bit like, things were too much of an effort, anyway once we got to the room it was great and the bed was a comfy bed, big rooms as well so very pleased there, so we had a good night’s sleep. We never heard anyone running around or experienced the thin walled comments.

I had read the Gold Rush Inn was the place to be, so at 9.00 am we went down for breakfast and in keeping with the night staff, I can’t say I was over impressed by the manner in which the lady took our order or in fact delivered our breakfast, what I can say was the food was lovely and well cooked, based on first impressions we never went back to the Gold Rush either for evening meals or breakfast so there loss.

I know I have some negative comments here but I would stay again as the location and rooms are perfect and all the local tour operators used it as a base for collection. The day staff were better by a whisker read into that what you will.

Room Tip: try and make the night staff smile , i bet you cant
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location downtown in Whitehorse. The hotel overall was very clean, the rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable. Hotel offers free WiFi, and flat screen TV. The lounge has good prices on local beer and food! Shopping and entertainment is minutes away by a short walk! As you walk in there is a friendly moose that greets you and makes you feel you are truly in the Yukon!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MojitioBruce
Delta, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This hotel is loaded with character and is located within short walking distance to shops and restaurants. The room was cozy and comfy. The negatives however were the smell of sewage that came through the bathroom sink drain and the loud guests upstairs in the early hours of the morning. We would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Port Hardy, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I've stayed at the Gold Rush Inn a few times before, and based on those stays, I'd give this hotel a 4/5. Comfortable rooms, nicely renovated, warm. Staff are (mostly) friendly and kind, and the shuttle from the airport is convenient. If you book online, you can get a bit of a discount from the rack rate as well.

If you ever plan on staying at this hotel, specifically ask NOT to stay in Room 110. There are a few reasons for this. The obvious, glaring one being that it shares a poorly insulated wall with the Lizard Lounge next door, which plays loud club music. You can hear it from the hallway outside the room, but inside the room it is actually louder. I could hear the lyrics to most songs over the bass, which made my bed vibrate. The room itself seems like it doesn't get much use, or the housekeeping staff is very inattentive, as there was a letter informing me of the closure of the Gold Pan Saloon on December 16th for the staff Christmas party. The washroom was set up for accessibility, which I find odd as it's on the one floor of the hotel that has no elevator access. Finally, there are no other guest rooms anywhere close to it, leading me to believe it was at one point mashed together to increase capacity by one, when it should really be a storage closet, or a staff break room. When I went back to the front desk to request anything other than that, I was told they were completely booked up and if I needed a different room I'd need to get a different hotel. Really? At 11:30pm? I can understand full is full, but courtesy would have been nice. Or a pair of earplugs, on the house.

If you're paying to stay here, you'll get your money's worth. But make sure they don't put you in Room 110, unless you're looking to have your Gold Rush Inn or Whitehorse experience ruined by lack of sleep.

Room Tip: Third floor is best, or second floor away from the Gold Pan. Anywhere is better than Room 110.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kari L

Travellers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels