“Awesome Place”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Wollongong
“Awesome Place”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I spent two nights here and have nothing to complain about. Beautiful beds, nice warm room which was immaculately clean. All of the staff were fantastic. The pick up and drop off at the airport was welcome and well managed. Nothing was a problem for the reception staff who did all they could to assist with providing information and assistance. Free wi-fi of course & free local calls :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My mother and I stayed at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn while we were in Whitehorse from December 21st to the 24th. As soon as we got in, we were greeted very politely. The staff are focused on costumer service.

The Saloon Pan Restaurant (could be wrong on the name) inside the hotel was also great. Service was good, the food coming out seemed kind of slow when we went for lunch even though they weren't that busy. However, I can honestly say, these were the first nachos I have had in at least a year that were not over done, huge kudos! When my mother and I ate there for the second time, closer to dinner, the food came out reasonably fast but wasn't as good as when we went for lunch.

All in all excellent customer service, check-in/check-out process quick and painless.

When I come back to Whitehorse I definitely plan on staying here again. No exceptions.

Room Tip: Floors can be creaky (so ask for rooms where no one is above you) and the doors slam behind you so b...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Everyone was friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfy and the room spacious & clean. The location was perfect. And the food at the attached pub was amazing!!! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone spending time in Whitehorse.

Room Tip: The elevator is a tad slow so the 1st or 2nd floor might be best (I was on the top floor, which is t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Baden, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Check-in was easy, no concerns there. Staff were helpful with questions. One staff was a bit more reserved, thought she was having a bad day, but as we continued to talk it was clear that she's just very low key but friendly and pleasant once chatting. The hotel itself is central, clean, rooms were large and had what we needed. Staff were friendly. Restaurant was decent for lunch, didn't eat there any other meals - noticed it is ALWAYS busy, so it must be a local fave. Overall this hotel was perfect for what we needed. If we return to the Yukon we'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Ottawa, ON, CAN
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I recently had the pleasure of going to Whitehorse for meetings, and got booked into the Best Western Gold Rush in. It's nothing fantastic to look at from the outside, the elevator is super slow, the hallways tight and narrow, but that's all the bad things I can say. First, Joanna from the front desk is AWESOME, so helpful and kind. She helped me get booked into a dog sled trip on Sunday. Room 431 was BIG, clean and QUIET! Loved it. The breakfasts at the restaurant were terrible, but my suppers were great. I had a Bison Burger, a Fish Burger, and the Bison Shepherd's Pie and the three were FANTASTIC. I would recommend this place to anyone going in for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 431 it was VERY quiet at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BugforTravel
Saint James, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I can't believe there are any negative reviews of this hotel. This was our first visit to Whitehorse and we came in December. Our room was 233. It was extremely clean and updated with a very modern sink and all the amenities we could have wanted. There was a refrig. and microwave and when I mentioned to my friend I wish there were tissues there they were on the desk. I think they spent a lot of time figuring out what would make the room comfortable. A large TV, 2 queen beds that were the most comfortable my friend and I ever slept in. Pillows to die for. We couldn't wait to go bed to enjoy the beautiful linens and soft comforter after a day in the 30 below weather it was like coming home. There is wifi and a computer in the hall for guest use. They will hold your suitcases if you check out and want to explore a little more. Jun at the desk was so polite and eager to please. A few of the desk staff seemed pre occupied but if asked a question they always tried to help. We loved the restaurant at this Inn. It was a saloon style one and very comfortable. Locals as well as tourists came and the food was delicious. There were bison burgers and shepherds pie made with bison and gold nugget donuts with carmal dipping sauce. Very different and wonderful. I would stay here very time I came to Whitehorse if I could. The place is right in the town and all the stores and attractions are within walking distance. I loved this place.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and it was very quiet. We never heard noise from the restaurant and th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

What scares me about this place is everyone said it is the best place in town...so how bad are the other places? Place was a litany of disasters. Do not stay anywhere near the river side of the hotel, as it is next to a dance club and your hotel room will be thumping from 11 to 2 am! If it is cold out the hotel only have about 10 plugs in for your car .... For a hotel with about 80 rooms. So hopefully your car starts in the morning on a cold day... Mine just!!! Started. The overall cleanness of the place is mediocre... There was a dirty!!! Q- tip in the hotel hallway all week... No one cleaned it up. Room cleaning was erratic... Sometimes a good job... Other times I think they forgot to clean my place. There was a welsh girl at the front desk super helpful!!! Ask for here! In contrast the rest of staff will do nothing to to help you expect roll their eyes and tell you nothing is there fault! I asked for dishes for my room ... The response was a sarcastic... Do you want food on it?... The bar is really small and it last glory days were in the 80s! And the close really early , about 11/11:30.... With the loving attitude of get the hell out now from staff! Not the best place in town! Needs serious improvement. Better yet whitehorse needs more and better choices!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
GeoJohn59, General Manager at Best Western Gold Rush Inn, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel and I apologize that our facilities and service did not meet your expectations.

Our room attendants clean guest rooms on a buddy system and housekeeping supervisors inspect rooms to make certain things have not been overlooked. Hallways are vacuumed daily by janitorial staff and room attendants are also trained to assist in keeping guest room corridors clean. Our Executive Housekeeper has passed on the issues you raised to all our housekeeping staff as your observation of the Q-tip in the hallway and the inconsistency in daily guest room cleaning do not reflect the cleaning standards we expect our employees to uphold.

Our 70 seat Gold Pan is a favorite of locals and is one of the busiest daytime, happy hour and evening establishments in Whitehorse. We have upgraded floor, wall and window coverings but have been told repeatedly by our regulars to not change the flavour or character of the Gold Pan. We have had issues on numerous Friday's and Saturday's with the noise of people leaving the night club of the hotel next door. Out of respect for our guests trying to sleep, we do close our own bar promptly and early. The comment about wanting food on the plates was a poor attempt at humour and not the professional response expected of our service staff.

There are 25 vehicle plug-ins along the front, side and rear of our hotel. We also have two large electrical bars running along two edges of the parking lot with a further 30 plug-ins. Well over half of our guests coming to stay in our 100 room hotel in the winter arrive by plane and the majority of those take our complimentary shuttle service to the hotel so we have not experienced a shortage of plug-ins that I am aware of. On the rare cold night when our guest parking lot is near capacity, our maintenance has loaned extension chords and directed guests to parking and plug-ins at he rear of the hotel.

I realize none of my comments or explanations can change your recent experience. However, ir you are coming to Whitehorse in the future please contact me directly. I will personally look after your reservation and will endeavour to make right the shortcomings you experienced during your recent stay.

John Robertson
Best Western Gold Rush Inn

Travellers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels