“Old and Dirty”

Canadas Best Value Inn
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
“Old and Dirty”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The gentleman who checked us in was friendly enough. We had asked for a non-smoking room, but they were full so we were given a smoking room. It was stifling hot with a small window air conditioner and a desktop fan in front of it. There were cigarette burn marks everywhere... In the carpets, walls, furniture, bedding, etc. One wall had a large hole that was plastered with a yellow color that looked awful. The room smelled awful. We had to rewash all of our stuff because it smelled so bad when we checked out.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Hi Trisha,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent visit. I am very sorry to hear of your experience and wish we would have done better to ensure you had a comfortable stay with us. It is especially unfortunate that we did not have a non-smoking room available for you that night that was more suitable for you and your family. I apologize for the smell and discomfort that you experienced while staying in one of our smoking rooms. We do our best to ensure they are maintained to a high standard but regrettably that was not the case during your stay. I would very much an appreciate an opportunity to discuss this with you further and hope we can arrange something that may ensure your next visit with us is more enjoyable. Please call me, Kaitlyn, at 867-667-7801 ext 238.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Port Hardy, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

The night I stayed at this hotel almost everything else was booked solid, or incredibly overpriced, so I made the mistake of staying here. Lukewarm reception from staff member who simply handed me a key rather than informing me of my room number. Airport shuttle IS NOT FREE, no matter what you may read or hear. It's almost as expensive as a cab at $10 each way.

The room itself was spacious, but that was the only good thing about it. 3/5 lamps in the room didn't work, there was dust and grime EVERYWHERE, the remote control for the tiny and ancient CRT tv was selective on when it wanted to work, and the power button didn't. The room (nonsmoking) reeked of mold and faintly of urine. The bathroom was hastily cleaned, but the mirror was covered in water splashes and toothpaste, I found hairs in the tub, the linens (particularly the bathmat) were either stained or disgustingly dirty. Either way, should have been rags. The walls were dirty and missing paint, the whole tub and shower showed disrepair plain as day, and again, it smelled in there. I got pictures of everything on another device and would be happy to email them to anyone considering staying here.

When I checked in they charged an ambiguous, rounded figure to my credit card, offering no detail of what was being charged, and in the morning on checkout there was no receipt provided. This property is located right on the river in downtown Whitehorse, but even that wouldn't convince me to stay here again. Stay away, unless there is actually no other way for you to get a roof over your head for the night, and if that's the case, don't expect much.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Kari L
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Hi Kari,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I understand your frustration and it is disappointing that our standards were not followed during your stay with us. By letting us know of your experience - whether positive or negative - it is helpful for us to not only improve the service we are able to offer but also allows us an opportunity to provide a resolution to your concerns. The concerns that you outlined do not fit the standard that we have committed to. I would be very appreciative if you could contact me directly to further discuss these incidents. Please call me at 867-667-7801 Ext 238

Travellers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels

United States
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Huh, what should I say about this hotel?!?! Wouldn't ever stay here again, location is decent however. If it wasn't for the fact that my man is military and we were traveling with our big dog, I would have changed hotels fast. It is next door to a very loud bar and all night long you could hear people outside fighting. Very old and could use some updating. I understand Whitehorse isn't a huge mecca, but for this town being a thorough fare for travel on the Al-Can highway and tourism, I'm surprised at the older hotels in town. This is the second time I've stayed in Whitehorse, but would not recommend the Best Value Inn. They offer underground parking, which part of was under construction and you drive down a steep ramp and are in basically a huge garage and then walk through the basement of the hotel till you get to the stairs leading to the hotel. Creepy.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you giving us an opportunity to evaluate our service and use the information you gave us to improve. It is unfortunate to hear that you were not pleased with your stay. I understand the concerns that you addressed. We are doing some construction in the building to improve our facilities. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused you while using our underground parking. We hope to update other things that you mentioned in the near future. We also strive to ensure that our facilities are enjoyable and our guests always feel safe. When made aware of any incidents our front desk staff are trained to address any disturbances and to contact the authorities when appropriate. I am sorry to hear this was not the case when encountering the disturbances outside your room. I would like an opportunity to further discuss your concerns directly. Please contact me at 867-667-7801 ext 238
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This pet friendly hotel is located downtown walking distance to the downtown core. Easy access to the river trail, great for dog walking or going for a run.
The staff are friendly and efficient, they took care of any issues promptly and professionally. When my stay was longer than planned the staff were accommodating making sure I could stay in the same room for the duration.
Located in the hotel is a great Korean restaurant.
I enjoyed my stay, the rooms are large, and equipped with fridge and microwave.
My only suggestion for improvement would be for the owner to spend some money updating the laundry facilities, and bedding which was old and worn but usable.

I will stay at this hotel the next time thru Whitehorse

Room Tip: If looking for a view, request an upper room facing the river
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank traveller2013155043
Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you come back.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Went there to check in, some kid came into hotel and started discharging fire extinguisher, cop came but the kid fled. While this was happening i just stood in the lobby and who seemed like an owner of this place, also stood there without knowing what to do. I asked him to cancel my stay and he said he didnt know how to work the computer to cancel it and told me to wait until other staff came back. No real applogy, he just "let us go" in his words. Poor security, poor initiative, poor attitude.

• Stayed April 2013
Hi,

I am very sorry to hear about the incident that you encountered during your stay with us. We strive to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay and free from any disruptions. Unfortunately that evening there was an incident that staff were unable to resolve and it required contacting the authorities. During that time our staff was focused on assisting the authorities in immediately handling the situation. Regrettably at the time of your checkout there was not a trained staff person available immediately to assist you. I hope your next visit with us will be more positive and will be free of these incidents. I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss this incident with you further. Please contact me at 867-667-7801 ext 238
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2013

The staff treats you like family. All you have to do is ask, & they will help you find what you need.
The rooms overlook the river. Its the best hotel in town. The restaurant is the only place to get Korean food in the yukon, The food is amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Tagish, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The staff was excellent and treated me like family.
The rooms were huge and very well cleaned.

The location downtown was a surprizing bonus.
The rooms were very cheap for the quality of service.
It is the only hotel in town with underground parking which
is a bonus in the winter.

Room Tip: rooms usptairs facing the river are best
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family