“No frills but you could do a lot worse...”

Canadas Best Value Inn
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Edmonton, Canada
“No frills but you could do a lot worse...”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I was lucky to get a room at all but when I rolled into the parking lot I wasn't so sure I wanted to stay here at all. At first impression I sure didn't want to leave my rent-a-rocket SUV in the parking lot over night but the town was booked solid due to two conventions in town. Upon entering the circa 1920's lobby, it was at best chaotic. It appeared a group of travellers requiring a dozen rooms or so was trying to check in . The regular front attendant wasn't there and a rather frazzled looking woman was doing her best to help everyone get settled. Fortunately I was ahead of that group of loud young people and their chaperones. They all looked like they had just come back from a shopping trip at Eddy Bauer's. I have never seen so many back packs in one room.

Originally I'm sure I got the last room available in town. It was a pet friendly, smoking room but that's all that I could find after calling a dozen other places. When it was my turn to check in the lady at the desk mustered up her best smile and said, "You don't want a smoking room do you?" I said not if I could help it and with that she gave me a room on the second floor overlooking the parking lot, a museum and the mighty Yukon River.

The room was spartan but spotless, which makes up for a lot in my books. I think my room had been renovated recently because other than looking dated it was in decent shape. It even had a recliner that looked like it came from IKEA. I've been in newer hotel rooms that didn't look as good at this one. The bed must have been comfortable because after nine hours of flying, a long walk around town and a really good dinner at the Klondike Ribs and Salmon BBQ. I slept like a hibernating bear even with the window ajar. An added bonus was, mine and every other SUV in the parking lot was still there in the morning and still in one piece. I haven't been able to come up with a good description of the area but it was sort of like the seedier part of a national mountain park town. It's interesting to look at the points of interest around the town and the mishmash of architecture. Whatever it is, the area may be old but the streets are as clean as a whistle.

Whitehorse is an interesting town and this hotels is in an interesting and older part of town. I was a little skeptical at first but in light of the clientele they serve, the staff and the cleanliness of the room. I would stay there again. It ain't fancy by any stretch of the imagination but it is a bit of an oasis in an area that in any other city you may well want to avoid.

It has a Japanese/Korean fusion restaurant that I did not get to try but I enjoy both of those cuisines and would do so if my stay was longer.

Even the bar patrons of the bar next door seemed friendly enough although no one offer me a hit of whatever it was that they were smoking. Fair enough, I look like a retired cop.

Would I like to visit Whitehorse again and would I stay there again. You bet.

Room Tip: Stick to the front door side of the building. It was quiet in spite of being a Sat night and having...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LarryG135
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience during your stay with us this summer. We are so happy to hear that you had a comfortable stay and will be back again to visit us next time you are in Whitehorse. We appreciate the level of thought you put into writing your review and the opportunity we have to improve many of the other areas you addressed. Thank you again and see you soon.

Kaitlyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This is a very tired hotel that needs quite a bit of maintenance.The sheets and towels looked clean, but the bedspread was heavily worn. My room was looking directly into power lines and the business next door - I did not have a river view. The floors and plumbing creaked, and the walls are thin . . .so ear plugs were required. I was traveling with a group and there were several disturbing mix-ups with our rooms. This hotel is located right beside a bar and people from the bar are milling around outside the entrance and in the parking lot.

I didn't feel that this was a comfortable or safe place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view. Take ear plugs. See if you can check your room before accepting it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen P

Travellers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The staff was very helpful and recommended places to eat breakfast in spite of their remodeling. A very enjoyable place to stay. They even went to get my batteries to my camera that I had left in the room by accident when I checked out.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Erwin,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for visiting us. We look forward to having you again soon!

AUSTRALIA
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The foyer of this hotel is not very appealing but we were surprised to find a very comfortable, clean and quiet room overlooking the river. Staff were helpful and the room was spotlessly clean. Only negative was the seedy pub which was closeby and the young people hanging around but this would not stop me staying again. We arrived early and were able to get into a room within about half an hour so that was a bonus.

Room Tip: On the top floor as the windows on the floor below open onto the footpath and I would not feel safe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and visiting us on your trip to Whitehorse this summer. It is a pleasure for us to meet guests from around the world and even greater to have them share their experience with us on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear that you had a comfortable stay and you found our staff helpful. I also appreciate you letting us know your impression of our entrance and will use that to improve. Thanks again for staying with us.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This is definitely one of the worst hotels I ever happened to stay. Rooms with no air condition, incredibly hot! The neighborhood, something between scaring and disgusting, even though it's pretty close to Whitehorse downtown. Riffraff loitering around the hotel and the hotel's parking area is much too small, so I had to park ma rental on the street, therefore. This Hotel is in desperately need of a complete renovation. And the hotel's homepage bluntly lies in saying "In addition to a delicious breakfast in River View Restaurant, each room...", there is no breakfast and there even is no Restaurant at all! And this all for about $140; okay if it were $30 then, what else would you expect for $30, but $140? Preposterous!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PeB1123
Hello,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing. Many of the issues you addressed greatly concern me. I would very much appreciate an opportunity to discuss some of these issues further to come to a resolution to improve our services for your next visit and also for our other guests. We have two parking lots - one smaller one in front of the building and a larger in the back, as well as our underground parking. I hope that if one was filled we would have directed you to a space in another location. If this was not done I am very sorry for this unacceptable oversight. We also have an onsite restaurant that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner during the summer season that was recently renovated. Unfortunately you may have stayed with us during the renovations and I am sorry for this inconvenience. The experience that you had during your recent stay with us was unacceptable and we hope that we can do better for you in the future with another visit. I would love an opportunity to discuss this with you further please give me a call toll free 1-866-949-7800.

Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a last resort. The bedding needs updated and the carpets need replaced. For some reason our room was unbearably hot! We had multiple fans and sheets only to make sleeping possible. My 6 month old would not even fall asleep unless I took her outside to cool her down. It's right next to a cheap shady bar that made me feel uncomfortable and not very safe. However it was a roof a bed and they accepted pets.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nonnamuss
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback and for visiting us during your stay to Whitehorse this summer. I am sorry to hear about your negative experience. Our guests always comes first and making sure you are comfortable is our first priority. I am disappointed that we did not take an opportunity to move you to a different location where you may have felt more comfortable and the room may not have been as hot. I also appreciate you letting me know your impression of other aspects of our hotel to help us improve. I am sorry again about a disappointing experience that you had but appreciate you sharing to help us improve.

Eagle River, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stay here in route to Alaska. The carpet was stained. I was so grossed out that I had trouble sleeping on the sheets. There were drunks EVERYWHERE around the hotel and it did not feel safe at all. The window to our room had been smashed and not repaired.

• Stayed August 2012
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and I appreciate your honesty. I am very sorry to hear about your negative experience while staying with us. I hope there may be an opportunity in the future to show you our hospitality that will leave you with a better impression. Please feel free to contact me 867-667-7801 ext. 238. Thank you.