“Noisy, surly & felt unsafe”

The Town and Mountain Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
sunshine coast bc
“Noisy, surly & felt unsafe”
Reviewed 7 August 2009

My main issue was that I did not feel safe in the hotel. There was a group of drunken men roaming the hallways, yelling and trying random doors when I finally heaved my large luggage up the 2 flights of stairs, unassisted might I add. The room was incredibly hot, with a token fan wheezing and so noisy from the bar downstairs/ traffic
and did I mention drunken men looking for a party?? There was no security or locks on the doors leading to the rooms so any one from the street could come in .
The booking had been made by my company but apparently there was no record of the room being booked or paid for at the hotel. Although I had an email confirming the reservation and billing status and showed it to them upon my checking out the very grumpy man at the front desk went on a rant about fly by night companies and scamming customers and insisted that I pay again. They were incredibly rude and non helpful and made no attempt to look for a booking record or contact my company - they actually charged my company and myself as it turns out.
To be fair the room was clean and the sheets were decent thread count .But i would rather sleep in a ditch . with grizzlies. on the side of the Alaska highway than stay at the Town and Mountain again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank sunshinemina
Townmountain, Manager at The Town and Mountain Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2010
This review shows a completely different view from the hotel that we are. Security wise, we lock all front doors to hotel so that no one may enter the building after 11pm. All room doors lock automatically upon closing and also have deadbolt. Miss communications with company bookings do happen, but I believe this review is the complete opposite and hope that you ignore it.
We have two types of rooms ( both floors recently renovated within the last 3 years) all rooms have fridge/freezer, dishes, coffee pot, tv, ect.

Oct 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
British Columbia
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I stayed at the Town & Mountain Hotel for several days in September 2008 while I was on business. Overall, my stay was positive, save for a few low points.

The Town & Mountain is located in the heart of Whitehorse, right on Main Street. It's an excellent location for tourists coming in on cruise tours, as dozens of interesting shops and museums are within a few minutes' walk. As far as area safety goes, the RCMP detachment is right behind the hotel, so it's pretty safe.

One important thing to note is that this hotel does NOT have elevators. Anyone who has mobility issues or large, heavy luggage may not enjoy the trot up to the third floor. (Fortunately, I had been forewarned by a friend and had packed light.)

Check-in was pretty fast and the gentleman at the desk was friendly. The hotel hasn't converted to card keys yet. The rooms open to interior corridors (not the street), but but anyone who has safety concerns with regular keys take note.

I was given an executive room on the third floor, which was good, but it was facing Main Street, so I was pretty nervous about hearing noise from the nightclub downstairs once evening came (a complaint of previous reviewers). Fortunately, closing the window filtered out 95% of the noise and I slept well. I was a little disappointed about having to keep my window closed after 10 p.m. every night, though. (Keeping it open meant having to listen to intoxicated club patrons hooting and hollering on the sidewalk.)

I was quite surprised with the overall look and cleanliness of the room. It was a really nice size, with lots of room on both sides of the bed and around the table area. The furniture, carpet, lamps, and art were all new. The furniture (desk, table, night stands, armoire, etc.) was very appealing and of high quality, with attractive rounded edges and a warm, classic oak finish. The table and chairs were a good size and well padded. The lighting was very good. There were two bedside lamps, a floor lamp, a desk lamp, and a ceiling dome light at the entrance.

The cleanliness of my room was top notch. In the bathroom, the shower, fixtures, and lino flooring were all sparkling. The kitchen area was quite clean, and both the fridge and microwave were spotless. The night stands, armoire, desk and table were clean, the lampshades were free of dust, and the carpet was very clean.

The bed linens were very clean and smelled fresh. The bed itself had a comfortable mattress that was firm but had a foam top (built in) that made for a great sleep.

The kitchen had a nice mini-fridge and microwave, as well as basic dishes and cutlery. There was a small coffee maker on the kitchen counter as well. There was no sink, which meant having to wash dishes in the bathroom. I really would have liked to have had a sink in the kitchen because I was unable to fill my water bottles in the bathroom sink due to the low faucet.

The bathroom was a bit small. The creaky lino also left a bit to be desired. There was no hair dryer but I overheard another guest say that the front desk had two available for borrowing. The shower had an adequate shower head. However, it needs to be noted that the water temperature was very volatile. I strongly caution parents of younger children to have them take a bath rather than a shower. I was blasted with very hot and very cold water several times. It seemed that whenever the showers were under heavy use (e.g. 7 a.m.), the temperature became more and more unpredictable.

The room included free wired internet access. If you forget your cable, just ask for one at the front desk. A previous reviewer also mentioned that there's wireless access in the lobby, but I didn't try it out as I prefer wired.

For anyone who will need to do laundry while in Whitehorse, please note that the Town & Mountain does not have laundry facilities. There's a public laundromat at the Stop In Family Hotel, which is located across from Extra Foods, about a mile from the Town & Mountain Hotel.

Overall, I would consider this an acceptable hotel for tourists and business travellers because it's clean and comfortable. However, the lack of an elevator, the presence of a noisy nightclub, and the volatility of the shower temperature are definite minuses. If cost is an issue, this hotel will save you a few bucks for putting up with those annoyances. If cost is not an issue, you may want to try one of the higher rated hotels in Whitehorse, such as the Westmark Hotel and Conference Centre.

• Liked — The proximity of the hotel to great food, shopping, and museums
  • Disliked — The hot/cold/hot/cold shower
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Juneau, AK
Reviewed 13 August 2008

I tried to contact the property directly, as you cannot book online. The first time I called, they would not answer the phone. On the second try I was told to call back because the clerk was busy.
If they are that unpleasant on the phone - I can't imagine how we would be treated in person.
We booked somewhere else.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank jnu73
kayle_f2009, Manager at The Town and Mountain Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2009
When I first read this review I was very shocked! This was the first time I have heard about the Front Desk Staff being unprofessional, and uncourteous. We strive on giving the best of service! I hope this incident never happens again.

Travellers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2008

In Whitehorse on a 4 day business trip from Toronto, this hotel was located at Main and 4th, convient (within easy walk) to all businesses, and shops. 3rd level room, with mountain view (rear), offered quiet, comfortable atmosphere - very clean, well maintained furnishings, brightly appointed, with small kitchenette. Friendly Staff. Restaurant offered great, home-cooked meals, moderately priced. I would stay here again!

• Liked — clean, quiet and comfortable
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank eyewander
Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2007

I've stayed here a couple of times... The third floor rooms are spacious, upgraded and renovated with a microwave and minifridge. Complimentary hi speed internet w/ wireless available downstairs in the front lounge altho you can access it from some rooms as well. Food is good in the bar although it's not really a restaurant.
Price is reasonable and location is right downtown...

Rooms in the front have to deal with noise from the crosswalk beeper, traffic and nightclub so ask for a room in the back instead.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank nwtfrosty
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2006

I booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews on this site, particularly noting that one of the reviews stated it was 'quiet'. I had to drive over 700km the next day so it was important I got somewhere where I could get a good rest.

It turns out that the hotel's main business is a nightclub, and the rooms are situated directly above it, with music blazing out at a considerable volume until after 1:00am (this was mid week incidentally). It was utterly impossible to sleep.

The room was adequate, if a little worn and tired, but do not even consider this hotel unless you want a night out and a late night. I was not warned about the noise when I booked or checked in and my complaints were not met sympathetically.

• Liked — Free Internet Access
  • Disliked — The noise late at night
  • Tips/Secrets — The nightclub appears to operate every night except for Sunday
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Jeremyabingdon
Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2006

We were very pleased with the Town and Mountain during our four-night stay in Whitehorse. The hotel itself was very quiet, with clean rooms, comfortable beds, a central location and reasonable prices. Having a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and dishes in our room was a great convenience. We'd certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2006