“Big name but below grade hotel...”

Coast High Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The hotel is old and has not been renovated. carpets are all wavy and in a very poor shape, both in the common areas and in the rooms. Most of the rooms have no air conditioning. Washrooms are old and in poor shape. whirlpool bath tubs are not functional and there is no plug in the bath tubs, so forget to take a bath.
When checking in, they forgot the old, dirty towels in the washroom from the previous client.
Very noisy all day and all night, people walking and talking loud in the hallways permanently. Very bad noise insulation on the doors.
Internet, like in most of the hotels in Whitehorse, totally sucks. The speed is acceptable, but it keeps disconnecting every few minutes, and it keeps asking you to push the "accept" button on and on. This makes any attempt to work on the Internet from your room impossible, so if you go to Whitehorse for work, or if you need acceptable Internet connection. Avoid this hotel.
For the big price you pay, they should be providing a super high speed Internet and new carpets and renovated washrooms in every room. It's a rip off!.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed here for two nights, the second week of June. Check in at reception was very efficient. I was pleased to see that a computer was available to use on each floor. Since I was traveling with a bad leg, this was very convenient for me. We ate in the pub the first night and we had terrific service. Loved the borsch and ribs. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Sorry, hit the swimming pool button by mistake. I have no idea if this hotel has a swimming pool or...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Business visit. I booked a room plus a conference room. Both were incredibly hot. There is no air-con at this hotel. The conference room was low-ceilinged, hot, and the tablecloths weren't ironed, had not even been folded - they had been rolled in a ball out of the dryer. They were too short for the tables and no skirting for the tables either. No water jugs on the tables - water cooler and plastic cups in the corner. It was super-hot and looked like crap and it was $150 for 2 hours. Not going back.

Room Tip: No air-con in the rooms, and it was about 30 degrees. Two small windows, only one of which opened. I...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TheresaYVR
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This hotel is not an 5 star hotel, but I would not expect that in a place like Whitehorse. It was comfortable and charming in its own way. I would recommend it.

I was on a tour of 42 people. When we arrived they had all the rooms ready and got our luggage to our rooms promptly. The staff was very nice and helpful. We ate at the attached restaurant that night (actually in the bar area) and it was good food. They have a local brewery there and I strongly recommend the beer. It was excellent. It is an easy walk to the riverfront which we really enjoyed. I was with an older lady and the walk to downtown was kind of far for her. It was at least 15 minutes. But, there is a Starbucks. That is a plus for me.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Got into white horse about 1100 am-tried to check in(was told it would be ok when I booked the room) I was told to come back in two hours which I did. Still I could not check in-room not ready. I finally got checked in after 5pm. All the other people got to check in early. I did not get the group rate and the price given to me when I left. The room was so hot(even with the heat off). I had a fan on and would have to open a window which then the room would get cold. Then I would close the window-would get hot. I would leave the curtains closed and the fan on when I left the room only to come back with the fan off and the curtains wide open. It was a sauna.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 30 May 2013

you wont go wrong staying at this hotel. friendly and helpful staff. good food. great bar to meet up with locals. good location with a 10 min walk to the downtown action. overall a wonderful hotel to enjoy all that this Yukon city and surrounding area has to offer

Room Tip: upgrade yourself from a standard room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We always look forward to stopping here on our way up and down the Alaskan Highway. The staff are always so friendly and helpful. Nicole and Jules helped us this year and I have to continue to say, I have never been better treated by front desk staff. Our room was spacious, very nicely appointed, and very comfortable. The hotel welcomes our senior citizen dog which is important to us as we have traveled with her all of her 16 years. The big Royal Canadian Mountie outside the front entry is a welcomed sight to these tired travelers, and a wonderful photo opportunity for many. Try this hotel..I think you will like it!

Room Tip: Just tell the staff what your needs/preferences are..I think they will do everything in their power...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple