“As for staying in Whitehorse , this is a nice spot, it has recently become a coastal property,”

Coast High Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Wonderful people working here, always helpful. And I have seen the aurora borealis form my window in Sept of 2012! Nice restaurants inside and just several blocks from a beautiful walk along the Yukon River. Great dining, wonderful beds! Clean and welcoming, and we travel with a large dog that is welcomed also!

Room Tip: My friend just wants a room with a window that opens, I prefer the AC.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Coast High Country Inn

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Based on the other reviews here, it sounds like we got lucky. We arrived earlier than check-in time, so they found us a room already cleaned. It seems it was an upgrade from what we had, but at the same rate. This was the best room we've ever had in our lives, and we have traveled a lot. We overlooked the wrinkled hall carpets and no A/C. We found that most of the rooms on our Canadian trip had no A/C. This room had a king bed, a couch, a jacuzzi and nice-sized bathroom. We were very happy with it and the desk clerk from Germany who checked us in. There was a laundry just down the hall, which we used. We wished we could have stayed another night!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seahorse825
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Like other reviewers, this was not my first choice, but I thought that being part of the Best Western chain would mean that it would be of similar quality. Not so. In my view this is overpriced for what you get. As others have said, this hotel is in serious need of updating. The carpets throughout the hotel for terrible and had wrinkles everywhere, making walking somewhat of an assault course. The room had no aircon, which I didn't know at the time of taking it (I had assumed they all had it). As it was very warm that day I opened the window only to be greeted by the loud noise of the bar downstairs, did not make for a great nights sleep! The bathroom is very small. The room did have a fridge, microwave and coffeemaker and the bed was comfortable enough. I had breakfast in the hotel the following morning and was surprised by the very new and modern look of the restaurant, why can't the rest of the hotel be like this?
In my mind it is very overpriced and would therefore not come here again.

Room Tip: If you come in the summer make sure you ask for a room with aircon and away from the bar/restaurant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Haven't been to this hotel in a number of years and I have got to say that not much has changed. Yeah they have updated some of the furniture and fixtures but that is putting make-up on an ugly face. They don't have any air conditioners (and yes the weather gets hot enough to warrent it). The first thing I smelt when I walked into the room was this musty, moldy odor. The shower is way too small, and the blow dryer didn't work. This place has the potential to be great. Whitehorse is a beautiful city and tourists from all over the world come and here and I just think the High Country can do better and should do better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank efoubister
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Hotel needs an upgrade but gotta think about the weather conditions most of the year. Price is a bit high for what you get but most hotels where. Free shuttle from the airport is nice. Limited flights into Whitehorse make it better to pick up your rental car if you are leaving the next day. As others have said the carpets need to be replaced. We did not have the trouble with ac as others did. Room was confortable. Tub was a bit big and a regular tub or shower would have been better. Did not advertise free wifi although you could get onto it from your room. With further upgrades this could be a nice hotel. Not right in the middle of town but a short walk to main street

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2013

If it were not identified as a Coast Hotel, I don't think that I would have made note of certain deficiencies. However at $135 +tax per night, I made the following observations:
- wrinkled carpets in the room
- no air conditioning in some rooms
- exposed wiring and piping (nothing unsafe) to the baseboard heaters - looks sloppy
- one unit was quite dated but it had air con. A second unit was modernized but had no air con
I noted that their great outdoor pub was under renovations. Hopefully the same will extend to the rest of the building in due course.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in the summer months, ask for a room with air conditioning otherwise forget ab...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were just passing through for the night & Best Western down on Main Street didn't have availability left. So this did.. limited parking for vehicles with trailers. Outdated. Overpriced. Crooked floors. Small crank windows. Horrible service in attached pub & fine dining. The fire alarm went off briefly & there was no reason as to why it did. I wouldn't recommend this hotel! Book elsewhere in advance

• Stayed: July 2013