“Not bad”

Coast High Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Standard room I had was quite small and a little run down. Bathroom is has only a shower, which is fine, but it was cramped. Amenities in the bathroom seemed to be the cheapest possible, things like toilet paper, tissue, soap and shampoo. Room had no desk and no iron or ironing board when I arrived, although cleaning staff brought me an iron & board when I asked. Room seems to have no heat/cool control - there is a themostat, but it didn't seem to do anything. The only way to cool the room is to open the window. Hotel restaurant for lunch is quite good, but limited menu. Staff were courteous and helpful.

Hotel is near the river and the Kondike riverboat (National Historic site), but a distance from most other hotels and restaurants. This is not a huge problem as you can walk from one end of town to the other in 30-40 minutes.

There are newer reviews for Coast High Country Inn

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was attending meetings with a group and booked my room myself and was surprised that my room was like a "closet" and old .I inquired and was changed to another room (after 2 nights) and for the remainder of my stay (3 more nights) I had a beautifully large modern room with hot tub,king size bed,lots of furniture ,etc. It was like two different hotels --unbelievable ! A few others in my group had similar experience --not sure why they would even book out these "closets" which were at the same group rate as the modern large rooms .
The front desk staff were excellent as were all of the staff ! Dining room and pub were great --the pub food excellent and reasonably priced. Everyone was friendly and helpful . I would stay again in one of the renovated larger rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for one of newly renovated modern larger rooms and not the "closets".
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have been staying at the High Country for several years. Most recent visit, last week, was very good. Room was large with huge whirlpool tub, reasonably quiet, and staff as usual were friendly and helpful. Restaurant service was very good.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Wonderful people working here, always helpful. And I have seen the aurora borealis form my window in Sept of 2012! Nice restaurants inside and just several blocks from a beautiful walk along the Yukon River. Great dining, wonderful beds! Clean and welcoming, and we travel with a large dog that is welcomed also!

Room Tip: My friend just wants a room with a window that opens, I prefer the AC.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Based on the other reviews here, it sounds like we got lucky. We arrived earlier than check-in time, so they found us a room already cleaned. It seems it was an upgrade from what we had, but at the same rate. This was the best room we've ever had in our lives, and we have traveled a lot. We overlooked the wrinkled hall carpets and no A/C. We found that most of the rooms on our Canadian trip had no A/C. This room had a king bed, a couch, a jacuzzi and nice-sized bathroom. We were very happy with it and the desk clerk from Germany who checked us in. There was a laundry just down the hall, which we used. We wished we could have stayed another night!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seahorse825
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Like other reviewers, this was not my first choice, but I thought that being part of the Best Western chain would mean that it would be of similar quality. Not so. In my view this is overpriced for what you get. As others have said, this hotel is in serious need of updating. The carpets throughout the hotel for terrible and had wrinkles everywhere, making walking somewhat of an assault course. The room had no aircon, which I didn't know at the time of taking it (I had assumed they all had it). As it was very warm that day I opened the window only to be greeted by the loud noise of the bar downstairs, did not make for a great nights sleep! The bathroom is very small. The room did have a fridge, microwave and coffeemaker and the bed was comfortable enough. I had breakfast in the hotel the following morning and was surprised by the very new and modern look of the restaurant, why can't the rest of the hotel be like this?
In my mind it is very overpriced and would therefore not come here again.

Room Tip: If you come in the summer make sure you ask for a room with aircon and away from the bar/restaurant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Haven't been to this hotel in a number of years and I have got to say that not much has changed. Yeah they have updated some of the furniture and fixtures but that is putting make-up on an ugly face. They don't have any air conditioners (and yes the weather gets hot enough to warrent it). The first thing I smelt when I walked into the room was this musty, moldy odor. The shower is way too small, and the blow dryer didn't work. This place has the potential to be great. Whitehorse is a beautiful city and tourists from all over the world come and here and I just think the High Country can do better and should do better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo