My top five:
1. Dog sledding - the most funnest thing to do on this planet
2. Snowmobiling/Ice fishing (although Canadian fish seem a bit picky about the food/bait on offer)
3. The Northern Lights
4. Whitehorse - a quirky little town with fabulous people
5. Taking one of the five(???) super-friendly dogs for a walk on a frozen Marsh Lake
I had a few days to spare during my Vancouver Olympics trip and thought I would love to see the Northern Lights. I had mentioned to the travel agent that I was female and on my own and this "Inn" was recommended to me because everyone sits around one enormous dinner table each night.
This is one great way to interact with the other guests. The others are the nightly aurora viewing under starry skies at > -10 degrees Celsius and the day trips, such as dog sledding and snowmobiling. Really, no drama going there on your own.
Personally, I really liked the furnishings, colours and art work inside the Inn and thought they complemented the building, which is an amazing structure. Ask for the FISH room, for a lake view :-)
All the staff are very friendly/nice/knowledgeable. The food is delicious - breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I would definitely rent a car though next time, which would be handy for going into Whitehorse or to see the hot springs, especially if staying more than the usual three nights. The side roads might be a little snowy but they weren't icy and the (one and only) main road a.k.a. Alaska Highway had been cleared of any snow.
There are dogs around, big ones, but they are actually quite loveable, especially Humphrey xx who just wants loads of cuddles.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As featured on Martha Stewart Living and recently listed by National Geographic Traveller as Top 150 places to stay for 2009, this lodge located 35 minutes by car from Whitehorse, Yukon, is the top rated accommodation and conference centre in the Yukon. The location is ideal for daily excursions and attractions in Whitehorse, Atlin, British Columbia and Skagway, Alaska. The resort has a number of room categories and cottage options. Your stay includes in the summer, mountain bikes, canoes, kayaks, fitness centre, hot tub and sauna. Complimentary Golf Passes at Meadow Lakes Golf Resort. In the winter snowshoes are included and this area is well known for Aurora Borealis watching. This is one of North America's few places where you can stay and see the aurora right from your suite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Booking.com and Cancelon so you can book your Inn On The Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn On The Lake Hotel Whitehorse
- Inn On The Lake Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada