Inn On The Lake
SKKY Hotel(Whitehorse)
Airport Chalet(Whitehorse)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsice fishingjacuzzi suitethe main lodgeaurora borealisother guestsdog sleddinghot tubchef troynorthern lightswhole packagean experience to remembercommunal diningsnowmobiling tripincluded mealscountry housecross country skiingice hockey
Reviewed 7 March 2010

We got married on the balcony at Inn of the Lake, an impromptu little ceremony as the Northern Lights weren't being particularly cooperative and it was 35 below. The staff was very nice, staying late to be our witnesses, but I just didn't get the vibe. I can't really explain it, but I just didn't feel great about being there.

We didn't receive a warm greeting on arrival, they seemed a bit put out actually. Maybe it was because it was the week before Christmas and everybody was beat, maybe it was because of the cold snap that was cold even for them, maybe it was the other guests, but the whole aura of the place was not comfortable.

We stayed in the room Martha Stewart stayed in, and it was OK, but certainly not "world class." The toilet plugged. It was very noisy because people came in and out all night long trying to sight the Northern LIghts and the room is right above the door.

It wasn't a disaster, by any means, but it just didn't have the vibe other people reported. Not a great place to have spent my wedding night.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jaeded07
Reviewed 28 February 2010

My top five:
1. Dog sledding - the most funnest thing to do on this planet
2. Snowmobiling/Ice fishing (although Canadian fish seem a bit picky about the food/bait on offer)
3. The Northern Lights
4. Whitehorse - a quirky little town with fabulous people
5. Taking one of the five(???) super-friendly dogs for a walk on a frozen Marsh Lake

I had a few days to spare during my Vancouver Olympics trip and thought I would love to see the Northern Lights. I had mentioned to the travel agent that I was female and on my own and this "Inn" was recommended to me because everyone sits around one enormous dinner table each night.
This is one great way to interact with the other guests. The others are the nightly aurora viewing under starry skies at > -10 degrees Celsius and the day trips, such as dog sledding and snowmobiling. Really, no drama going there on your own.

Personally, I really liked the furnishings, colours and art work inside the Inn and thought they complemented the building, which is an amazing structure. Ask for the FISH room, for a lake view :-)
All the staff are very friendly/nice/knowledgeable. The food is delicious - breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I would definitely rent a car though next time, which would be handy for going into Whitehorse or to see the hot springs, especially if staying more than the usual three nights. The side roads might be a little snowy but they weren't icy and the (one and only) main road a.k.a. Alaska Highway had been cleared of any snow.

There are dogs around, big ones, but they are actually quite loveable, especially Humphrey xx who just wants loads of cuddles.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank TaniaMaeMcFeegle
Reviewed 21 February 2010

My sons and I stayed 3 nights. We enjoyed panorama view (and walk) of frozen lake, delicious meals, exciting winter activities and viewing northern lights. Very special and unforgettable experiences for all of us. I specially thanks to Johnny, a staff of inn, for his hospitality and service. We are sure to go back there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2010

As Whitehorse residents, it is wonderful to have such a high-end place to visit within a short drive from town. A walk on the lake, viewing northern lights and being pampered were the order of the day. Thanks Carson and Johnny for making our stay great!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2010

We went with the sole purpose to view the Winter Lights. They chose to hide for our 4 night stay, but we were NOT the least bit disappointed. Carsen and Staff were fantastic - from the dog greeters to the dinner staff. The staff made excellent recommendations and filled our days with hiking, dog mushing, and snow mobiling. The biggest surprise was the excellent food - unique and presented artistically.

This was one of the most relaxing active vacations we have ever had. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple