“One Word ~ DIVE”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
New Mexico
“One Word ~ DIVE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

This place is a dive plain and simple. We stayed here because it was the only room available (after calling 6 hotels) that allowed pets. It is true to its name, Family runned. It is adjacent to an Indian restraunt whose aromas wafted through the entire hotel. "oversize" parking was a lot behind the motel which I honestly was afraid to leave my vehicle in because of all the grafiti on the walls around it. The pet rooms were in the basement, the only way to get there was through the "loby" (using that losely) and no easy way to take the dog out unless you bring it through loby. The room was seriously cramped and smelly. Carpets were gross, I kept my shoes on the entire time. It had a "kitchenette" with a sink that ran all night and left a puddle below the stove. The TV sat on a table behind the breakfast table, which had no remote or buttons to change the channel. We asked for more towels and were told no. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT STAY HERE. You will regret it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank ladyeaglekeeper
Daljeet D, Owner at Stop In Family Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
The staff and ownership at the Family Hotel regrets your negative experience. We have six older non-renovated rooms in the basement. Obviously, being in the basement, these rooms are less desirable than other rooms. We offer these rooms as pet rooms, as there are limited offerings in Whitehorse for pet owners. Most pet owners do not appear to mind having a basement room, if that means they can have their pet in the room with them. Our policy is to always instruct potential pet-owning guests to see these basement rooms first before deciding to rent them. You probably had an opportunity to view the room first prior to actually renting the room. Based on your feedback, we have decided to re-examine our policy of providing pet rooms in the basement for pet-owning guests. These rooms will now be used for monthly rentals.
With regards to the graffiti you saw, this is unfortunately a major problem in Whitehorse. Although our property has not been the subject of graffiti painting, the back wall of the adjacent Real Canadian Superstore grocery store is the subject graffiti painting frequently. We have brought this to the attention of the grocery store management. They have repainted their back wall, but, without adequate security, the wall simply gets painted with graffiti again. I can assure guests that we constantly watch over our back parking lot, and to this day there has not been one incident of vandalism or theft of a vehicle parked there. We will also be expanding our network of video cameras to cover more areas of the exterior parking lots.
Your review concerns us, and since 2009 we have initiated several improvements to our property – inside and out. These investments include changing all exterior siding, expanding family room sizes, installing new flat screen TVs in all rooms, replacing all the beds, and installing all new furniture in the rooms. I hope these changes will prompt you to take a second look at our property. Our hotel strives to cater to budget travellers looking for less expensive yet clean and adequate rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Inuvik, NT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2010

Can you belive my kids would not stay here and my kids don't care where we stay, they only care where we are and what we are doing. We checked into the hotel, I though they were taking a pre-otherization like all other hotels, instead they took the payment from my credit card for the full stay. We then went to our room which was located in the basement of the hotel??? The smell down there was so gross! the room was so dirty, bathroom toilet still had leftovers from the guest before us, there was hair in the beds like it had not been cleaned and as soon as my children asked "what that creamy stuff on the couch was" we were out of there. THEN, trying to get our money back well that was another problem. The guy working at the desk said he could not put the return through without the manager and teh password. So we had to come back the next day, when we arrived teh next day there was a lady working at the front desk and she too told me I ahd to wait for teh manager who was on his way over now. So I waited with my family in teh vehical, well guess who the manager with the password was teh same guy that checked us in the night before. With only one threat to go to teh cops I got my 500+ back. NEVER WILL I STAY OR SUGGEST AN ENEMY STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank MamaBear_Inuvik_NT

Travellers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels

Dawson City, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

I had to stay at this hotel during this past weekend of the Feb 5th 2010. It started out with $50 deposit plus a $5 remote control deposit!!! Horrible Horrible HORRIBLE.... the worse hotel serivice in the city. they have wicked imgainations and like to report things that never happened... the one night that i never stayed there!! they said that they had video proof of us coming back into the room with 4 other ppl... WOW I wish I was intoxicated that much I don't remember coming back to my room with other people and then waking up a $20 taxi ride away in Porter Creek. That would be movie worthy. Then when we checked out of this hotel they didn't have the money in the till to return out damage deposit. So we had to go back the next day for our deposit. When we returned the next day for out deposit they started arguing with us how we had 10 people in our room during visiting hours and then us having 4 other people staying with us overnight the night we stayed at our friends place... We still in the end got our deposit back and got barred from this hotel... Big deal with customer service like this you would have to pay me to return to this place

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank yukonjack123
Daljeet D, Owner at Stop In Family Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Although we encourage feedback and constructive criticism when we do not meet guests’ expectations, this review is a compete misrepresentation of the facts. Our hotel values the sleep of our guests, and the very name “Family Hotel” is meant to convey that we want an establishment free of loud noises and partying. In fact, it was our desire for a quiet establishment that prompted us not to have a hotel bar or lounge within our establishment. The rules are very clear that no outside guests are allowed after 11:00 pm, which you chose not to obey, and thus forfeited your deposit. I can probably bet though that even with losing your deposit you still saved money at our hotel. We aim to provide clean and adequate accommodations to budget travellers. Our room rates are on average $50 to $70 cheaper than similarly sized rooms at competing hotels.
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

So my Husband and I were traveling through Canada on our way to Alaska. We stopped in Whitehore the capital of the Yukon Territory very tired from our drive all day. I walked in and the owner was very nice she had only one room left in the basement. Which we were soo tired we took it. We drop our luggage off in the room which was horrible with uncomfortable beds so we went to eat. We had no cell phone service so we had to get a calling card and use the payphone. While we were using the payphone a native woman comes over and demands my husbad to get off the phone because she lives in the yukon. We went back to the hotel and i decided to get some ice. When I looked for a ice bucket there was none. So I went to the front desk and the lady told me to get a tupperware from my room. Which all the tupperware smelt so i had to wash them before putting ice in it. So when the tupperware was clean i walked back up to the front desk and she gave me a key to the ice machine which was locked with a deadbolt. When I was finished getting ice the hatch cut my finger. Oh by the way the whole hotel had a over powering smell of curry and the Indian family who owned the place lived right across the hall with 12 family members in one room. Then when My husband and I decided to go to bed at 11:00 pm the owner's children decided to run around the hall ways and slam doors. Then when I got up to take a shower I slipped in the shower and fell because of there being no slip pads in the bottom of the tub. I went to the front desk to complain about the noise and to let them know I had fallen. There was a older man who was obviously the night guy. I told him my complaints and he just shook his head and said okay. I cant belive this place is still running.Never again

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank begoniablues
texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

We arrived late and had the feeling, that we are not welcome here. No friendly smile or friendly words. When we saw the room we were not very happy. It was very hot, noisy and even it should be a non-smoking room it smeeld like a smoker room.
It looked a bit rundown and it was not very clean.
The hallway was dirty and we smelled alcohol.
The price was ok, but I better pay more the next time to feel comfortable..

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank travelbird_9
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

Went in to get a room and practically had to beg to be waited on. The front desk employee was too busy with his girlfriend, the two of them talking on the phone oversees to somebody in India. After we finally received service, we went out to start getting luggage from the car and found the front desk employees kid, stacking rocks on top of our car, along with lumber and anything else that was lying around. Not to mention the thumb tack he pushed into the sidewall of my tire. Once we presented this to the front desk employee and demanded our money back, he refused, stating we would have to come back in the morning, as he did not have the code to the credit card machine and was not authorized to give refunds. We slept in our car overnight at Walmart, as every other motel was booked, due to softball tournaments. In the morning, we went back to the hotel for our refund and the owner, whom we were told to see, didn't really seem to be all that concerned. Possibly because it was family? The owner, already had our refund ready to go. i asked if her employee had told her why we wanted the refund, she replied by saying, her employee told her it was because we didn't like the room, which we never even made it to. Incidentally, this room costs 114.00 Canadian, for about the quality of a 35.00 per night hotel, judging by the smell of urine in the hallways and the shabby upkeep in and around the property.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank NetHazard
Daljeet D, Owner at Stop In Family Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
First off, I am sorry for replying to you so much later than your original review, but we only realized recently that owners can respond to these reviews. I would like to state categorically that I, as the owner, was very concerned about this incident. The employee was on work permit and working out very well to that point. However, when his family showed up from India the work relationship unfortunately deteriorated. We decided not to renew this employee’s work permit, and subsequently he has been dismissed. If you are ever travelling through Whitehorse again, we will give you the best room we can at a discounted rate. Since 2009, we have initiated several improvements to our property – inside and out. These investments include changing all exterior siding, expanding family room sizes, installing new flat screen TVs in all rooms, replacing all the beds, and installing all new furniture in the rooms. I hope these changes will prompt you to take a second look at our property. Our hotel is on average $50 to $70 cheaper than similarly sized rooms at competing hotels in Whitehorse. We think it is great value for the dollar in a town where the hospitality industry is accustomed to gouging its unknowing customers.
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2007

After reading the reviews on this site, I had expected a nice hotel with pleasant people at a good price. What I got was a barely average room, in the basement, with one window that fronted on a block wall one foot away. The cost was no different than any hotel along the Alaskan Highway, the staff was loud and rude, and the ice of all things is under lock and key. The hotel is nicely located for site seeing and shopping, but that is only the nice thing I can really say about the Family Hotel.

• Liked — restaurant, laundry and barber shop onsite
  • Disliked — room and staff
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank gypsyfey