“Friendly and Clean!”

and 1 more site!
Beez Kneez Bakpakers
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Great hidden gem up here in the Yukon. I stayed in one of the private "cabins" out back. Has everything you'd need for a reasonable price. I'll be back on my way back through Whitehorse coming back down from AK. The dormitory rooms look very clean too (where I'll be staying next visit). Nancy is very friendly and keeps the place very clean. Guests are quiet and respectful of each other it seems. Whitehorse is not a big place. You can walk many places from the Hostel. But there's also ample parking!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I am sorry that Bertha caused you and your daughter to feel unwell and bothered you while cooking. She spent most of her life living outside at a mushers kennel and has only been living here since the end of Feb when she finished running the Yukon Quest 300. I trained her so she never goes in any of the cabins, private room or downstairs ( where the dorms are ) in the hostel. She spends most of her time in my room . I will try harder to make sure that her hair and #2 is not a problem for another guest. I am curious though. If your stay here on July 4 and 5th in the Sugar Shack was so terrible why did you and your daughter stay here again on July 10th?

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nancy T
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 unfortunate nights. The dog walks all over the place and bugs you when you make food and try to eat it and his hair is everywhere. The dog made both of us sick the 3 nights we were there as the dog hair never seemed to get clean. There was dog crap on the stairs leading to our cabin and never got cleaned for 2 days! The place is amazingly filthy with a large amount of mold in the basement shower, my daughter even saw a cockroach come out of a hole in the shower stall. Needles to say we spent all of 1 minute in the shower and packed up our bag quick and literally ran out of there. We were offered a cinnamon bun on a plate that was then left on top of the dirty fridge for at least two days, the second night I saw bugs crawling on it! It was one time I was glad to be a diabetic and never ate it and you never would know how long it was there and the food was never covered. Everywhere we looked the place was dirty, it truly needs a boss to come in and ask themselves if they would want their family to stay there for a week! And then to start deeply cleaning this filthy hole.They told us we had a cabin out the back and it looked more like a converted shed and had blankets that really needed a great washing as they smelled. It was not worth the money we spent and I deeply regretted staying there the 3 nights as this was not the way I wished to enjoy the Yukon! I would never stay here again and would prefer the grass and a sleeping bag to this disgusting place. Shame on you Beez Kneez!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Dawn M
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed at the Beez Kneez with a friend whilst preparing for the Yukon River Quest. It is an amazingly comfortable place with lots of space and Nancy seems completely un flusterable. We were even allowed to borrow her dog - Bertha - to take for a walk.
When we couldn't find sponge's in the shops, Nancy gave us 2 from the cupboard and she was more than happy to let us take over the kitchen preparing food for the race.
I confess to being a hotel traveller but would certainly go back to the Beez Kneez as and when I'm back in Whitehorse as I can't think of anywhere that could be better.
Thanks Nancy and Bertha for looking after us
Sarah

Room Tip: pick the private room or a shack if you are not into dorms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cobweb76
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Nancy and Bertha (newly retired Husky) welcomed me to the wonderful world of BeezKneez. The hostel for full to capacity when I stayed (lucky I booked in advance!), but Nancy went out of her way to find alternative accommodation for several walk ins, ringing around to find them a bed. This is a great hostel where you can mix as much or as little with the other BPs. The lack of curfew enables you to stay up late for the midnight sun in the summer and the northern lights in the winter. The hostel was clean and safe, I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Beez Kneez is a wonderful little hostel within walking distance of the businesses in downtown Whitehorse. Perfect for adventure-seekers of all ages, it is a welcoming and safe environment. In the winter, the hostel has room for only 10 or 12 people with 2 or 3 small dorms and one private room. In the summer they open up a cabin and a VW bus (!) in the backyard. The hostel has no TV, so people pass the time by sitting around in one of the two living rooms and talking - imagine that!

I also can't say enough about the "beekeeper" Nancy. She was very friendly and kind. After I checked out, she realized I left behind an item. She called the Nordic center she knew I was at and had them leave a note on my Jeep. It was very nice of her (and the Nordic center staff!) to go out of her way to help. Thanks Nancy!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I was here for 3 nights in February 2013. I have stayed in a lot of hostels around the world and this is one of the best. It's not the biggest or the brightest, or the newest place around, and it doesn't have massive TV's or a pool table like some newer establishments, but that is part of the charm. It is literally just like your family home - cosy, very well priced, plenty of board games, well stocked kitchen, just a short walk to the main street in town, and most importantly, it is run by a group of fantastic people! The host Nancy is a champion and will go out of her way to help you out, truly making this a home away from home. One example of this hospitality - some of the boys staying at the hostel asked about buying Moose meat to try, we had no idea at the time but it turns out you can't just buy it from the shops. Nancy made a few phone calls to her friends and not only did she get us moose, she cooked a delicious Moose Chilli for everyone staying at the hostel that night. If you are staying in Whitehorse, make sure you give the Beez Kneez a call!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo