“a lovely hostel !”

Beez Kneez Bakpakers
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Beez Kneez is great place to stay in Whitehorse, with a warm friendly atmosphere & kindness from Nancy. I stayed here before and after a long hike in Kluane, and it was a welcoming and peaceful place to be. Everything is in easy walking distance, and its nice to be able to cook your own meal, have a cup tea, and meet folks from all around the world.

And Bertha is an absolute lovely dog who brings heart & soul at its finest!! She's a retires sled dog who has the true Yukon spirit.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed for one night before going on a hiking trail in the BeezKneez and it is definitely a very good place to go. I had one of the little cabins in the garden, so very private and calm. The cabin was clean and comfortable. Bathrooms were cleaned, there is the option to get your stuff washed. The kitchen is well equipped and if you are completely desperate you will always find coffee, tea, sugar and oat meal or something like that to get through the next meal. Nancy is very friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is open and friendly, so it is easy to get into contact with people, checkout the hostel library or surf in the internet. Whitehorse downtown is a 15 min walk away. Bertha, the Sled dog is very well trained and perfectly groomed so I definitely saw no dog hair. Reservation was without any problem by mail and went fast. Reasonable Price. What else do be wanted...

Room Tip: The cabins in the garden are really nice.
1  Thank WeiKoo
Reviewed 20 August 2013

It's hard to describe in a few words how great this place is! From the first moment it felt more like coming home than staying at a stranger's house. Nancy and her doggy Bertha are amazing and fill this house with lots of life, energy and real Yukon spirit! Everything is clean and well-organised, if advice or help is needed you can be sure to get it :-)
I hope I can come back there one day and enjoy this cosy home far from home again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Great hidden gem up here in the Yukon. I stayed in one of the private "cabins" out back. Has everything you'd need for a reasonable price. I'll be back on my way back through Whitehorse coming back down from AK. The dormitory rooms look very clean too (where I'll be staying next visit). Nancy is very friendly and keeps the place very clean. Guests are quiet and respectful of each other it seems. Whitehorse is not a big place. You can walk many places from the Hostel. But there's also ample parking!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I am sorry that Bertha caused you and your daughter to feel unwell and bothered you while cooking. She spent most of her life living outside at a mushers kennel and has only been living here since the end of Feb when she finished running the Yukon Quest 300. I trained her so she never goes in any of the cabins, private room or downstairs ( where the dorms are ) in the hostel. She spends most of her time in my room . I will try harder to make sure that her hair and #2 is not a problem for another guest. I am curious though. If your stay here on July 4 and 5th in the Sugar Shack was so terrible why did you and your daughter stay here again on July 10th?

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nancy T
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 unfortunate nights. The dog walks all over the place and bugs you when you make food and try to eat it and his hair is everywhere. The dog made both of us sick the 3 nights we were there as the dog hair never seemed to get clean. There was dog crap on the stairs leading to our cabin and never got cleaned for 2 days! The place is amazingly filthy with a large amount of mold in the basement shower, my daughter even saw a cockroach come out of a hole in the shower stall. Needles to say we spent all of 1 minute in the shower and packed up our bag quick and literally ran out of there. We were offered a cinnamon bun on a plate that was then left on top of the dirty fridge for at least two days, the second night I saw bugs crawling on it! It was one time I was glad to be a diabetic and never ate it and you never would know how long it was there and the food was never covered. Everywhere we looked the place was dirty, it truly needs a boss to come in and ask themselves if they would want their family to stay there for a week! And then to start deeply cleaning this filthy hole.They told us we had a cabin out the back and it looked more like a converted shed and had blankets that really needed a great washing as they smelled. It was not worth the money we spent and I deeply regretted staying there the 3 nights as this was not the way I wished to enjoy the Yukon! I would never stay here again and would prefer the grass and a sleeping bag to this disgusting place. Shame on you Beez Kneez!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Dawn M
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed at the Beez Kneez with a friend whilst preparing for the Yukon River Quest. It is an amazingly comfortable place with lots of space and Nancy seems completely un flusterable. We were even allowed to borrow her dog - Bertha - to take for a walk.
When we couldn't find sponge's in the shops, Nancy gave us 2 from the cupboard and she was more than happy to let us take over the kitchen preparing food for the race.
I confess to being a hotel traveller but would certainly go back to the Beez Kneez as and when I'm back in Whitehorse as I can't think of anywhere that could be better.
Thanks Nancy and Bertha for looking after us
Sarah

Room Tip: pick the private room or a shack if you are not into dorms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends