“THE BEST ADVENTURE EVER!!”
Review of Sundog Retreat

Sundog Retreat
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Beijing, China
“THE BEST ADVENTURE EVER!!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed in Yukon for 2 nights and were lucky enough to be able to see the Aurora Borealis both nights! It was awesome! The hosts, Andrew and his family are the most hospitable people we have ever met; they made us feel sooo welcome.

We stayed at the Cranberry Cabin and were able to see the lights while sitting on the sofa near the fireplace. We ate dinner in the dark so that we could see the lights and then went out to the fire pit next to their special Aurora viewing cabins and roasted marshmallows under the beautiful lights.

On the second night the lights came out again and we decided to watch it from the outdoor hot tub-definitely and unforgettable experience.

During the day there are many activities to do as well. We went on a city tour and got to know the place a bit. We also hiked to the Yukon River (about 45 minutes from the cabins). Unfortunately we didn't see any wildlife but we saw so many different types of footprints! We also rode the snowmobiles and were even able to squeeze in dog sledding-also an unforgettable experience.

We did all this in just two days but would have stayed longer if we could because there is just so much more you can do there! They have hot springs and ice walls you can scale nearby as well as a wildlife preserve (only open on weekends). Ice fishing is another activity they offer.

We would definitely recommend this place for anyone seeking adventure and an unforgettable experience. We are very very happy to have chosen Sundog Retreat instead of one of the other tour companies with bigger advertising budgets that put us in a hotel in town and then drive us out at night to a crowded viewing station for a couple hours to hopefully get a glimpse of the lights. The lights are unpredictable and could last anywhere between 10 minutes and 10 hours. When we stayed they came out at 7pm and were on and off until 6am!

Room Tip: The Cranberry cabin has an amazing view of the lights in the North. All Cabins are far apart from ea...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We visited Sundog Retreat from Feb. 14-17th as a Valentine's vacation with the hopes of seeing Aurora Borealis in our time in Whitehorse. Although we weren't able to catch any northern lights, we were able to make the most of our trip thanks to our hosts, Andrew and Heather. Both worked tirelessly to arrange the itinerary and transport everyone to the local attractions of their choice; I was very impressed with their knowledge of local events and activities, and their willingness to look up anything they were not sure of.

We had the pleasure of staying in the Cranberry lodge, which was wonderfully situated so that we were able to wait for the Aurora inside the comfort of our cottage, as the northern lights can be seen just outside of our living room - a major selling point versus being shipped out to hope for the lights each night, if we had chosen a city hotel.

The cabin itself was very well-stocked; the kitchen had all the cooking utensils, cutlery, and a recently updated oven with which to either cook your own meals or their catered offerings. The living room had a comfortable gas fireplace along with games to play and books to read while we waited for the Aurora. The sauna and outdoor hot tub facilities at the Sun Room were also very prepared for all needs, even offering swimsuits should we forget our own. Everything showed a great amount of attention paid to details, and Andrew and Heather were always available to add anything one may need, and always actively checking if you were missing anything.

All in all, we greatly enjoyed our trip to Sundog Retreat, and I'm definitely planning a return to see the different scenery that Whitehorse can offer in the summer!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Bloomingdale, Illinois
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Seeing the northern lights was something that was on my bucket list and after some research and finding out that they tend to peak every 10-11 years, making the trip this year was a MUST for me! After researching and debating whether to go to Fairbanks, Alaska or Whitehorse, Canada, I emailed several resorts in both places and Sundog was the first to respond right away and I saw the reviews were pretty good on trip advisor so we decided on Canada. My husband and I were there Feb 7-10, 2014. We arrived at the airport and Andrew was there waiting for us at the airport. He took us to a grocery store along the way and we stocked up on food. When we arrived at our cabin (Cranberry), we immediately loved our cabin! It was so warm, cozy, clean and bright with big windows and high ceilings! It had two bedrooms, a kitchen, bath, a deck with a BBQ grill which we used twice! We had satellite tv and some access to wi-fi. We were so fortunate to witness the northern lights all 3 nights of our stay! We went snowshoeing down to the Yukon river on our second day and dog sledding on our third day which was so much fun!!!!! I recommend only doing the half day of dog sledding because it was freezing! Anyway, Heather and Andrew are amazing people and great hosts! They have a wealth of knowledge and stories to share and they are passionate about their business! I am so glad that we did not stay at a hotel. Although I wish there were restaurants/places to eat nearby, the experience of being out there away from the city, taking in the sights of the mountains and the stars in the sky at night, breathing the fresh, clean air, taking in all the serenity that nature has to offer and having the privacy of being in your own cabin is unbeatable!! I thought a northern lights is a once in a lifetime trip, but after that trip, my husband and I talked about going back again to experience it in the fall/early winter and one day bring our kids up there when we start a family! I hope Andrew and Heather expand their property and add a few more cabins similar to the cranberry!! Definately a trip we will never forget!!!!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have wi-fi although they are working on that for the near future! Also, if you are su...
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed there from Feb. 8-10, and our main goal was to see the Northern Lights. I did quite a bit of researching, and didn't want to stay in downtown and head out for a 3 hour tour, so we opted for this option. We drove right into where we're staying (Raven's Nest) and ran into Andrew at the Sunroom. He was a gracious host, and gave us a little explanation of everything. Prior to going to Whitehorse, I knew that Raven's Nest did not face the north side, and I was fine with it. I was thinking of occasionally running outside every 10-15 mins to check if there's the Northern Lights. But after arriving there, I found out there were these 2 small cabins that faces a huge potato field and faces the north. It's heated, with huge windows, and hot water to make tea or hot chocolate. There was also a firepit outside. I have never started any firepits, and was able to chat with other guests that were there to help me start one up. I was roasting a marshmallow at midnight, in -30 C weather, waiting to see the northern lights. It was definitely an awesome experience.

The second night, we were waiting in the cabin for several hours already, and gave up at around 2am, and started to head back to sleep. But I checked online for the Northern Light forecast, and it said 7/10 activity level. I was quite annoyed not being able to see it as it was a clear starry night. Then at 3am, the phone rang. I ran straight to the phone, and Heather told me there were strong Northern Lights outside. I ran outside, and SAW THEM! I was totally ecstatic, even though I did not wear enough layers. So thanks to Heather for notifying us, we were able to see the Northern Lights!

Other things that made this an awesome experience was the other services Andrew and Heather provided: We knew about plugging in our car, but thought it was because it's too cold outside, and the battery would die. Apparently, it was so the oil wouldn't be too cold and freeze up and ruin the car. Heather helped us plug it in early in the morning, and our car was ready to drive when we left. Also, not doing my full research, I was hoping to go to Klondike Rib & Salmon to try some elk and bison, but they are closed for the winter, and back in the Spring. So I mentioned this to Andrew, and he offered some moose meat as a gift for us to try. Now I can say I've had some moose meat!

Overall, I was really happy with this trip, and the location we picked. The cabin is clean and spacious. It was an amazing family trip. Thanks Andrew and Heather! (and everyone else there!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 February 2014

“It takes at least one million years for carbon to become diamonds.”

It was the answer to a simple question that I asked Andrew, the owner of Sundog Retreat at Whitehorse, Canada, when he shared with me his private collection, a valuable piece of mammoth tusk.

I asked, “Which is older, the 30,000 years old mammoth tusk or diamond?”

“I don’t know but I can find out.” He bothered to help answer even a trivial question.

This is just an example of his extraordinary customer service which makes Andrew and the stay at Sundog Retreat great!

He shared with us stories about Whitehorse and brought us to important places at Downtown (although this was not part of the package). With his great local knowledge, he recommended better and cheaper “Dog Sledding” package compared to those found in the hotel lobby.
Better? I steered the sled not as a passenger in the sled.

Most importantly! He immediately phoned us at our cabin when he spotted the Aurora Borealis. Nobody would want to miss that. And we saw one of the best shows.

I strongly recommend Sundog Retreat not merely because the place is spacious, clean and nice but because Andrew and his team have been a wonderful host with a splendid customer service mindset and that …is what really matters!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

There are not enough words to describe the amazing time that we had at Sundog Retreat. The staff was really friendly, the cabin was amazing, the walk around the property during the day was very fun and the aurora viewing was spectacular! It is without a question the best travel experience that we've had! We are looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We arrived the 23rd January a group of 8 people for a long weekend away. We had booked the Ravens Nest and The Nook which was perfect as there are side by side to one another with an adjoining Sunroom/Sauna and lets not forget the Hot tub! The cabins were perfect in size and beds were very comfortable. We felt that the nook could improve as they didn't have a proper cooker/oven nor did they have a shower in the cabin. There is a shower in the sunroom available but not ideal. This was our one and only complaint. We seen amazing views of the northern lights and the owner came down to take proper photos for us to really capture the lights in all their glory! They had our snow gear all arranged and delivered accordingly for when we arrived which was perfect for the nightly strolls and the dog sledding. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but for us it was pure bliss. Away from the hustles and bustle of everyday life with no cell coverage, out in the wilderness with peace and quiet. I would highly recommend stayed here at Sundog Retreat it is well worth every moment shared.
Thanks to All from the Irish :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends