“A week to remember, for life!”
Review of Sundog Retreat

Sundog Retreat
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A week to remember, for life!”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Not to insult my other experiences but this was definitely one of the best things I have ever done! In a week I did so many things I would never be able to do the things I can where my friends and I are from (Washington DC, USA). I saw the Northern Lights-absolutely beautiful, dog sledded through the Yukon mountains-unreal, so worth it, went Ice climbing-cheap and lots of fun, the fire pit is such a good addition really enjoyed sitting out at the fire pit drinking with my buddies. What more can I say, everything I can think of went really well and we all had an incredible time, all around awesome. Sundog Retreat is a must experience in your lifetime, especially if you are aiming to see the Northern Lights.

Room Tip: My group used the Panorama, the was five of us and it couldn't have fit us better-if you are loo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Depoe Bay, Oregon
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Andrew, Heather & Sam made us so welcome & went beyond expectations with their friendly, helpful service. Wolf Den Cabin was spotless and very comfortable, our pre-arranged meals were delicious, the online meal pre-ordering system was easy & efficient to use; organising our stay was effortless, the aurora viewing opportunities & facilities were great - and Yes! we saw the aurora. We saw it from Wolf Den, right out the window and from the decking around our cabin. A recent unseasonal thaw/re-freeze had made walking on icy roads a little treacherous, so Andrew thoughtfully loaned us two sets of crampons - we were sure-footed & safe. Our hosts' attention to detail was remarkable, but it all seemed so effortless on their part. A very professional operation, run by the fun & friendly Fintons. The reason for our visit was the hope of aurora viewing. A bucket list item. We were visiting Alberta from Australia, so Whitehorse was nearby (on a global scale). But the absolute knockout, epic part of our 4 day Yukon Territory visit, was a half-day dog-sledding experience arranged for us by Andrew. I never want to forget the feeling of being on my sled, with a team of huskies hauling me along under blue skies in bright sunshine in the cold air, dogs eager to run & run across frozen lake and snowy trails, snatching a mouthful of snow to rehydrate, eager to please, doing what they do best. Wow. And yes, I overturned my sled once, let out a squawk, face-planted, came up laughing and uninjured, the dogs laughing along with me at my rookie error - I entered a curve too fast with weight on the wrong foot..... the 'blah blah' from Steve at the outset meant I was prepared for the eventuality and was back up & going again quickly. If you are considering a trip to Whitehorse, this is THE place to stay, these are the people who can organise any optional extra activities or trips into town that you want. Enjoy a peaceful, quiet cabin in the woods; simply enjoy the remoteness of it all. And if you really must connect with your 'real life' in the outside world, walk a short distance through the grounds to wi-fi service in the office building or separate spa/studio area. Our overall impression, on a scale of one to ten? Sundog Retreat scores an Eleven from us!

Room Tip: Did not use the spa; In 'Restaurant' category, I am rating the prepared meals we pre-ordered...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elaine B
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Sundog Retreat was amazing. The cabin was big and homely feeling. We had the perfect view across the snowy fields to the mountains and the skies above. Only a little aurora for us, but we only stayed 2 nights. I would recommend staying longer if you can. What really made the trip was the hosts. Andrew and Heather were amazing. We got the 5 star treatment, taken on a brewery tour because we wanted some beer, told all about the history of Whitehorse and organized a great dog sledding trip. It is quite expensive, but it is worth it to get a chance to see the aurora with such an amazing backdrop and fun activities for the day.

Room Tip: Ask for the Cranberry Cabin!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola334
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Wish I could rate this 4 1/2 stars. Only reason that I would not rate it 5 stars is it is expensive so not for everyone. You have to also know that it is very secluded…for some this is a plus for some it is a negative

Having said that, if money is not that big a priority, I would definitely recommend this as the only place to go if you are interested in viewing the Northern Lights.

We were in the Cranberry Suite. All we had to do is step outside our cabin and see the Northern Lights. Because it is so convenient, your chances of viewing the Northern Lights does up exponentially compared to Northern Lights tours that just drive you out to a spot to view for a few hours. We could also set up all our cameras which is a real plus for beginner photographers.

If you have the money, I would recommend the 2 suites that have direct views of the Northern Lights. They are more expensive but it is so convenient to just view from your cabin instead of going out to the viewing cabins in sub zero weather.

The drawback is the suite did not have powerful internet access. I could get wifi to my computer but not my phone. The only suite where you can get wifi all the time is the Nook. Again for some this is a plus and you are away from the outside world but for me, I would have appreciated having wifi access on the grounds.

Heather, Andrew and the whole team was great in assisting us in setting our photographs. They picked us up at the airport and the food option is really good….really good food and large portions. I would recommend taking this option if you are not driving as there is nothing around the retreat for 15 minutes.

Mollie gave us a great City tour and Heather organized a great outdoor campfire dinner which was great. Views are stunning. Free snowshoes to use on site + a toboggan hill. They also have a hot tub & sauna but we didn't use it

They also have 2 viewing cabins which have great viewpoints for the Northern Lights. We enjoyed building fires each night outside the cabins.

Again, if you are there to see the Northern Lights, I can't see why you would stay anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

The Sundog Retreat is a wonderful place to stay. The cabins have everything you could ask for. They are spacious, comfortable, and beautiful with well furnished kitchens. The aurora viewing cabins are great. They are comfortable with hot drinks and great snacks. The cabins are ideally located for aurora viewing. The other amenities at the Sundog Retreat are terrific too. The sauna and hot tub are very nice. Everyone in the office helped make this a terrific stay for us. They ensured that we had everything we needed, and they were very friendly. They arranged an amazing dog mushing adventure for us. They even suggested camera settings for capturing the aurora. They also gave directions for a run down a trail to a nice lake. We had an incredible time. The Sundog Retreat is terrific, and I highly recommend staying there!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank djspann
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed at Sundog for one night with a couple of friends, and it was awesome. We only saw a tiny bit of the Aurora while we were there, but it was a super cool place. The hosts were awesome too, they came around to our cabin to introduce themselves and give us the d-low on the Aurora and what to look for, and also what kind of settings we should have our cameras on (since we were newbies to photographing the Aurora). The 2 Aurora watching cabins are awesome, and I'm sure I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sian R
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Four of us stayed in the Fireweed Cabin for two nights March 10 & 11. The property is lovely and gives each cabin lots of privacy. The cabin was spacious and well equipped. My only quibble is that we were surprised at having to dispose of toilet tissue, etc. in a covered bin and not able to flush it down the toilet due to a septic tank issue. I don't know if this happens in all the cabins or just the Fireweed, but I think this should be mentioned when people go to book the Firewood as many people would be uncomfortable with having to do this.

I would certainly stay with you if I were to go to Whitehorse again and hopefully see the Northern Lights next time !

Kathy