“Excellent Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Anchorage, Alaska
“Excellent Getaway”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Extremely nice, cozy & clean cabins, spacious and surprisingly modern in decor. A lovely home away from home. The best Whitehorse has to offer. The owner was very nice and hospitable. There's a sauna on the premises as well. My family lived it.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 20 April 2014

PROS
Easy access to see aurora spot.
Clean accomodation.
Kind staff.
Good circumstances.
Not shofar from the airport.

CONS
Wifi is available only in the recriaton room.
We couldn't connect with wifi in our cottage.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Sundog is perfect for many reasons. The land is beautiful and the hosts are awesome. This is a very well-kept property, and each cabin has everything you need. If you are going to see the northern lights, the view at Sundog is perfect as it's away from the city lights, and has 2 viewing cabins that face the north. Andrew and Heather were super easy to work with, and responded to every request. I HIGHLY recommend the home cooked dinners that they can arrange!!! Can't say enough good things about the place. Stay here, you will no regret it!

Room Tip: We stayed in Panorama and thought it was perfect!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Right from being picked up at the airport to being dropped off again a week later we were made to feel incredibly welcome and all our needs were catered for.

Heather and Andrew are the perfect hosts, friendly, helpful and informative without being in your face. We stayed in Fuzzy Crocus. I was impressed how toasty warm it was given it got down to -35C at night. We self catered and found the kitchen more than up to the task. It was a great private location.

We had great views of the aurora from our bedroom window although we did go the viewing cabins a couple of times to enjoy the hot chocolate and maple syrup cookies.

Heather suggested an itinerary of activities and I'm so glad we went with her recommendations. The highlight being the dog sledding. Yes it's expensive but it is well worth it. The dogs are amazing and I loved the experience. The hot springs were relaxing & the wildlife preserve fascinating. The musk ox being a surprise highlight for me.

Andrew took us into Whitehorse and gave us an insight into the history of the Yukon including the gold rush and the First Nations people. We were lucky enough to visit during a festival and we got to see amazing snow sculptures from around the world and a lot of dogs wearing booties! Shopping was better than I expected with a lot of interesting local artists and even ethical ivory from woolly mammoths!

On our last day we walked across the frozen mighty Yukon River something I never thought I'd do.

We had a simply wonderful experience which wouldn't have been half as good if we'd stayed anywhere else.

Room Tip: fuzzy crocus was a wonderful place for a couple. Note - the wi-fi doesn't extend that far, but y...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

If you are out of town and have come to Whitehorse for the Aurora and for the shear beauty of the landscape and are not staying here, you are doing this trip wrong, period. First, Andrew and Heather are awesome and always made sure that our stay was perfect, from providing tips and directions to providing ice grips for our boots! Our upgraded cabin, the panorama was way more than adequate for us 2 and provided a somewhat obstructed view of the aurora. On that note why in the world would you stay in town and drive out for half an hour with a tour to view the aurora (if you even see it, due to its unpredictable nature) when you can just sit in the comfort of your own cottage or in the aurora view cottages. Overall this stay was just perfect and Sundog Retreat is located fairly close to Bean North, the nature preserve as well as the hot springs, not to mention that it's outside of the city lights. In my opinion if your coming to Whitehorse to view the aurora this is the only place worth while staying at, hands down.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OVyyz
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I only spent a night in the Nook cabin. I was alone, but the cabin had a queen, two singles and a double sofa bed. The surrounds are beautiful and nearby there are hot springs, an animal preserve, and a surprisingly excellent fairtrade coffee roasting place (Bean North). However, at the Retreat I spent my -22ºC night sitting in a hottub under the stars, before taking off to the aurora viewing cabins where, from the comfort of a heated cabin, I watched the aurora dance.

I feel that the level of thought and consideration Heather and Andrew have put into their guests needs is fantastic. The maple cream cookies and hot beverages at the viewing cabins was wonderful. I'm so very glad that I stayed there. I drove away beaming.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank eschak
Maces Bay
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

The privacy of these accommodations was exactly what we were hoping for and they are perfectly set up for cooking your own meals, complete with BBQ. The real gems of this property though are the two viewing cabins aptly named Aurora and Borealus, which are nestled on the edge of a cleared field with a gorgeous backdrop of mountains and forest that are perfect for chilly night Northern Lights searches. Inside each heated viewing cabin there are comfy couches and chairs as well as a kettle for making hot beverages, cookies, etc. They are accessible all night long, which is great because the lights can show up at any time, and they are never too crowed because most folks staying here at Sundog don't even need to use them. This is because some of the accommodation cabins have wonderful views of their own and you don't even need to leave the privacy of your own space in order to see if the lights are dancing.

I also liked the hot tub and common room where there is free WIFI.

The only complaint we had, and it wasn't a complaint so much as an unexpected inconvenience, is that we were requested not to flush any toilet paper. I live on a septic system so I understand the stress this can cause to the field, but it certainly is something that should be upgraded. At the very least the waste paper basket in the bathroom should be a hands free unit that you can easily open the lid with by stepping on a pedal. That would be much more sanitary than the very small swing lid type of garbage can that is there now. I do not know if it was the same in every cabin. We stayed in the Fireweed cabin.

I would definitely return to Sundog if I find myself lucky enough to be back in the Whitehorse area. We had a great great stay! Thank you to so much!

• Stayed March 2014