“The real Fiji not a resort Fiji experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Namatakula
Danny's Village Homestay
Ranked #1 of 3 Namatakula B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The real Fiji not a resort Fiji experience”
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights and had a fantastic time and wish we'd stayed longer. We followed our visit with a 5 star resort which fell flat on real atmosphere and experience.

Tupou and Sake are great hosts as all the other reviews say, good, plentiful Fjian home cooking. Really good fresh fruit and vegetables bought with Tupou at a visit to market on the local bus. We not only met Tupou and Sake but various family members and relatives who drop in and out of each others houses.

An invitation to Danny's is an invite to the whole village, we walked around freely and everyone greeted us and wanted to talk, the village children running up to hold our hands and talk. We were lucky a wedding was on in the village and were presented to the headman who gave a speech of welcome and we joined the party attended by all the village, drinking kava and listening and dancing to the local musicians on their ukuleles and guitars. Our next resort had traditional music, dancing and kava ceremony but not a patch on this real thing.

The cabins are clean and basic, right on the beach which you only share with villagers and their children playing rugby or passing through. The toilet and showers(cold) are in a separate block so you'll need a torch at night and not be scared of a few spiders and bugs. Our only real annoyance were mosquitos, we had mosquito coils at night but take insect repellant.

The beach is lovely, great for swimming and shell collecting, it's big and you nearly have it to yourself.

Sake was a good rugby player and this is a proud rugby village. I accompanied Sake to the provincial capital to watch a big game and had a great day out.

We went to a resort next and as lovely as it was (made by how friendly and welcoming he Fijian people are) it all felt empty and flat after our experience at Danny's and Namatakula village.

Do go if you really want to experience the real Fiji.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank andy_humphries

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2013

What a fantastic experience, Tupou & Sake welcomed us into there home & village. They are such beautiful, warm people. The food was awesome, & way to much! Thank you for the wonderful experience & we will be back next year!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Gaz220867
Brea, California
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Our team enjoyed our time with Tupou and Sake at the homestay. We were there for one week, we stayed in two houses. The mosquito netting was great to have. All of our team had a wonderful time. We spent many hours just singing and visiting with the locals. The food was AMAZING!! I would love to return with my family. Thank you Sake and Tupou for making our time a week we will always remember.
Lolomas to everyone!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve S
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Oh my, where to begin.....
Upon my arrival for my 1-week stay, I was given the most warm and embracing welcome by Tupoe and her husband Sake.
They settled me into one of the three cabins. It was spacious, clean and had a double bed and 4 bunk beds.....but I had it all to myself which was fabulous. The cabin was basic as was the flush toilet and shower. Apparently May is a quiet month for tourism.
The property is right on the beach and is well shaded by trees and shrubs. They have 3 acres. Most of which is treed and/or has fruit trees, other plants that bear veggies and such.
The meals that Tupoe, her auntie Vesava, and her daughter in law Joey help prepare are always fabulous. They make the meals for when you want them--of course on consensus of all guests. You had better bring a good appetite as Tupoe always says "eat more, eat more".
The village is quite communal....meaning there is always some relative or friend showing up at the door to visit or "borrow sugar" so to say.
The day after I arrived was Mother's Day. So I said let's do what you normally do on Mother's Day. So we went to her father's home where many teens and husbands were cooking up a storm for a most delicious lunch hosted by Tupoe's dad. Tupoe tried to explain how certain people were related, after her immediate family, I pretty much gave up, as everyone in some way or another is related.
All through the village when you walked through everyone always sang out....Bula (hello) to you and some of the children would run out to see if you had goodies for them. The children never harassed you for anything. Everyone in the village was so kind.
One of the days we took the local bus into Sigatoka to buy groceries and supplies. That was a fun experience too.
Nearly every day the local young men train and play rugby on the beach in front of Danny's. there is some wicked talent in some of those young men. There are several from the village that currently play in Australia and for local and the Fijian provincial team.
The beach is a nice beach, however there is much debris on the beach as well as some broken glass, so it's not the best beach for swimming in my opinion. Also be sure to bring bug repellant. Sometimes the Mosquitos were on the rampage.
My recommendation to those who have limited time in Fiji, spend a few nights at a minimum. If you have a bit more time, a week would be sufficient to experience village life in Fiji.
As I had brought a suitcase full of school supplies, I was able to visit the village elementary school and give the school the supplies they definitely needed. The school visit is a good activity to do I found it very enjoyable.
On one day I did the Jewel of Fiji Tour. I highly recommend the tour. As of May 2013, the tour is $150 FJD each. The tour van picks you up right on the road in the village. Tupoe or Joey will help to arrange the tour for you.
The last night I was there, Tupoe's father invited me over to drink Kava for a goodbye celebration. We went over and had many cups of Kava. It was a very enjoyable and low key evening---kava make you very mellow.
I truly miss Tupoe, her auntie and Joey........they were the backbone of the Homestay. I hope to return again soon.
Note: as of May 2013, the adult rate for the Homestay I'd $100FJD per night which includes all 3 meals per day. If you want alcoholic drinks, I suggest you buy your own as Tupoe and Sake do not stock alcohol at the Homestay. They do not drink alcohol or drink Kava.

Room Tip: Any of the 3 cabins is a good choice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Georgina M
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Yet another brilliant holiday at Danny's, Tupou and Sake are our true Fijian family as we feel just so comfortable and welcomed around them.
Being our second trip to Danny's we decided to stay 6 nights (first visit was 3 nights and nowhere near long enough!) this time to really be able to relax and immerse ourselves in the beautiful culture. Our family of 4 (2 girls aged 7 and 9) stayed in the spacious Starfish Cabin again which is located right on the beach, a short walk to the toilet and shower and nice and close to the main house. As soon as we stepped out of the mini van Tupou greeted us with such warmth that we knew we were back 'home' and instantly felt like we'd never left.
This trip there were plenty of other visitors too which was a nice change, plenty of people from all around the world to share a few stories, laughs and drinks with (Hi Grace :) )
We had more amazing food, Lovo was pretty special and my youngest daughters new favourite food is gravied lamb neck (Tupou, I found some in the butcher and am making my first ever pot of it tonight for dinner!) while I still love the water fern cooked in fresh coconut cream.
My girls asked if they could spend the day at the local school, Tupou said that was fine and the memories my girls have from that are something they will carry forever. They also loved catching up with their friends in the village, again, it was like they'd never left. One of my favourite things about a village stay is seeing the children interact, language is no barrier, all you need is an imagination and a sense of adventure and before you know it not only your kids, but you yourself are in the river playing and laughing, surrounded by 20 of the happiest children you've ever seen in your life.
My husband has his diving certification so we strolled over to Mango Bay Resort one afternoon (a short walk around the cove at low tide) so he could book in for a dive and we stayed a while to have a swim in the pool.
This trip we also went to Suva on the local bus, we had never been before and Tupou came with us to show us the sights and so we could say hello to her niece Rosa who we had met last visit, we were just so appreciative of her being able to come with us, it made the day even more special.
So if you're considering going to Danny's, don't hesitate, as a family, a couple, a solo backpacker, you will have the most amazing time of your life. Sure it's not 4 or 5 star like a hotel, but you don't go to a village stay for that, you go for the cultural experience!
Thankyou again Tupou and Sake and everyone in Namatakula Village for your welcoming smiles and embraces, we do consider you our family and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tracee G
Forster, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Me and my fiance' just got back from two weeks at Danny's Homestay in the village of Namatakula, Fiji and wish we could have stayed longer. Namatakula is located on the beautiful Coral Coast. During our stay Sake and Tupou couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. The moment we arrived we were welcomed with beautiful smiles and open arms. There were family cabins with large queen beds, single beds and cots or smaller cabins for couples or single travellors. The cabin we stayed in was spacious and cool, located at one end of the Homestay. The beds were very comfortable and we were provided with mosquito nets to keep the mosquitoes out. We also had power. The separate male and female bathrooms were just a short walk down the path and the cold water was welcomed. Hot water is also available :) The food was just delicious with Tupou cooking every meal. The variety was amaxing and everything tasted wonderful. I even learnt how to make Fijian pancakes. Be warned though, likely to get fat from eating too much of the great food. And whenever I felt like it, tea or coffee was available.
Kayaking and snorkeling gear was available whenever we wanted to use it and the snorkeling sights were well worth the effort. kayaking was also lots of fun!! I went horse riding along the beach which Tupou organised for me. It was cheap and exciting.
At the Homestay we had a once in a lifetime chance to experience the beautiful Fijian way of life. Walking through the village we were greeted with wide smiles and a call of Bula!! wherever we went. The children were beautiful and generous, offering to show us around, carry our bags or run errends. They even taught me some Fijian :)
Sake can take guest on diffarent tours depending on preference and Tupou will always provide delicious food to take along. Drinking Kava in the village was also an option which I highly recommend.
Danny's Homestay is the perfect location half way between Suva and Nadi and just half an hour from Sigatoka. It was easy to catch transport from the village to anywhere we wanted to go.
We also went to church both Sunday's that we were there. The village people and pastors were very welcoming and the service excellent. Listening to the singing was an especially wonderful experience. The church is in the village just a two minute walk from the Homestay.
I highly recommend Danny's Homestay to anyone whether a solo travellor, couple or family. It is the perfect place to experience the real Fiji and can enjoy people and places you cant while staying in a resort.There is lots to do for everyone and you will never feel lonely as there is always someone who wants to spend time with you. If not Tupou, Sake, or the village kids the other guests staying there were also always lovely. I wish I could have stayed longer and am definitely going back again!! Vinaka vakalevu Sake and Tupou for the wonderful time. Soto talei!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grace W
Kilcoy, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2013

From the moment we arrived at the village we were made to feel very welcome. Danny's Village Homestay is simply a great place to live and to meet new people from a completely different cultural background to ours. From the moment we booked online with fijihomestays.com we knew it was going to be an experience we would really enjoy. fijihomestays.com could not be more helpful than they were and answered every question we had and this helped us make sure this is what we wanted to do - stay in a village - We both had reservations about staying in a village but our questions were answered and once we arrived at Danny's we wondered why we were so concerned. As past reviews have mentioned the food is just one of the highlights at Danny's. Tupou's cooking is out of this world and it is very true that "More food, more food" is herd at Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tupou and Sake speak very good english and were always about to point us in the right direction. The rooms are not connected to Tupous and Sakes house so you dont really feel like you are staying in their house. The rooms are cabins strategically placed around their house not too close but not too far away. there is one toilet block with good flushing toilets and good shower facitlities again strategically placed easy walk (30 secs) from the cabins. Facilities at not 5star and at first we were a little taken back but once we saw past this and relaxed into our stay everything was fine. Location wise Danny's is located on the Coral Coast half way between Nadi and Suva and very accessiable to all the attarctions (waterfall tour, sigatoka markets, Pacific Harbour). Make sure you go with Tupou to the Sigatoka markets it was a highlight especially going with someone who has local knowledge. We used a private transfer service fijitransfers.com to get to Danny's which was a good idea because we arrived on the late afternoon flight and we would of never found Danny's because there is no sign saying Danny's. Toupo used local knowlegde to get us to our next destination. I dont think Danny's is a honeymoon destination but I can definately see families with young children would have a great time here as there are kids everywhere and they seem to be playing all the time. Fiji is such a great place to visit and if your idea of a holiday is to meet people, interact with people and try something different then Danny's is a great place to stay at.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KilcoyTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Namatakula
The Warwick Fiji
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,853 reviews
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Danny's Village Homestay? Share your experiences!