“Amazing Adventure - our kids will cherish the memories”

Danny's Village Homestay
Ranked #1 of 3 Namatakula B&B and Inns
Adelaide
“Amazing Adventure - our kids will cherish the memories”
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed at Danny's Homestay at the end of our trip to Fiji. My husband, 3yr old daughter and myself travelled with my sister, her husband and two children (5yrs and 3yrs). We stayed for 6 nights in resorts on the Coral Coast and whilst they were lovely it wasn't until we arrived at Danny's that we truly began to enjoy Fiji and what it had to offer. We felt like a part of their family, we loved how traditional the village was and my little girl still talks about Fiji and how she wants to go back to the beach and her rainbow princess bed (a bed with a multi coloured blanket and mosquito netting that made her feel very special!). We were greeted each morning by the charming local children who couldn't wait to play with our three children. We loved every moment, felt so secure and safe to let the kids run around the beach and swim in the river with their new friends and became very attached to our hosts. We will cherish the memories of this part of our trip and highly recommend Danny's to anyone looking for a true Fijian experience. To say it was special is an understatement. The tears as we left said it all.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TravellingFamilyof3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
England
Reviewed 9 June 2010

As soon as we arrived at Danny's we were made to feel very welcome and that continued throughout our 4 day stay. Tupou and Sake really have a homestay to be proud of from wonderful huts to stay in to fantastic food...and lots of it! The entire stay was a real family experience with everyone ready and willing to help out with making you feel like a part of the village. We visited the local school and spent a lot of time in the village socialising with the locals and attending church. Henry (Tupou's brother) helps out taking you wherever you would like to go inside or outisde of the village. We had a great day out when he took us to the village rugby game and we were more than content to chat to other fans while he played. One night Tupou and Sake arranged a wonderful bonfire and LoVo (traditional Fijian meal) for us on the beach and even had a friend come and play his guitar for us...the evening was fantastic! If we end up in Fiji again anytime soon we will definitely go back! A real Fijian experience with the most amazing people...a MUST DO for anyone!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My partner and I were very aprehensive about staying in a Fijian village and the idea of a homestay but we should not have been concerned. Danny's is an amazing place to stay and experience another culture. If you are looking for a unique cultural experience then this has to be the place to stay. The hosts Sake, Tupou and Henry are truely fantastic people who make you feel welcome and you have your own cabin so you don't stay in the same house as your hosts. There is only 3 cabins and we were the only people there for the first two days until a family of 4 from Ireland arrived on our 3rd day. But the cabins are spread out so we did not step on each others privacy. This families two children had the best time playing with the kids from the village and they never seemed to stop playing in the ocean or climbing coconut trees. The cabins are only 7 paces from the high water mark so when the water is in the lapping of the water on the beach is quite tranquil. We initially booked in for 3 nights but ended up staying 5 nights. The meals are all prepared with fresh produce collected from the village plantations. You can see the whole process from collecting the food in the early morning to preperation, cooking and serving the food. The cost was FJD$100.00 per night per person and it was well worth it for the cultural experience and food that was served. In the evenings we had fires on the beach under the stars and one night we went to a village elders house to drink kava and listen to the villagers sing songs in tune with an old guitar. One afternoon we took the guided waterfall tour with Henry which was great. On Saturday we went with Henry and the village rugby team to play another village in a game of rugby. We travelled with the team on the bus to the grounds in Suva and in the evening when we returned with the team back to the village (triumphly) we drank kava with the team to celebrate the win. I think the best thing we could of done was stay in a local resort (about 20mins drive from Danny's) before we went to Danny's. Doing this allowed us to relax and calm down from our busy western lifestyle so that when we got to Danny's we were on Fiji time. We booked the stay online via fijihomestays and the people at this website could not be more helpful setting the whole thing up for us. This is a truely amazing place and I would be happy to recommend to family and friends. We would definately go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Redlands, California
Reviewed 28 May 2010

If you're going to Fiji for a family vacation, you need to stay here. We stayed at Danny's for 6 nights, my husband and I and our two boys age 6 and 10. Let me tell you, Tupou and Sake took such good care of us we felt almost like family by the end of our stay.

Tupou will prepare all your meals in the "canteen" -- a separate building a few steps away from the sleeping cabin. The food is spectacular, all home-cooked and mostly from the surrounding jungle and ocean, or from the local farmer's fields. If you've never had babacau, you have to try it! We had it every morning we were there.

We stayed in Nadi on our first night in Fiji, and the hotel room was crawling with bugs/beetles/cockroaches I shudder to think what they were. I didn't see a single cockroach-like bug the whole time we stayed at Danny's. Everything was so clean!

We stayed in the family cabin, which was set up with a double bed for my husband and I, and a single bed and a bunk bed for the kids. We all had mosquito nets for sleeping, and it was so nice to listen to the sound of the ocean while drifting off to sleep.

The facilities are down the garden path, and there are two flush toilets and two showers. There was no hot water for the shower, which didn't bother us at all. It was so hot the cool shower felt so nice, and the kids were in the water so much anyway they didn't need much washing except to wash away sand. They keep a light on all night there, so you can find your way if need be.

The beach is excellent for kids, because there is no real surf. There is a reef a couple hundred yards off shore (give or take depending on the tide) that takes the brunt of the really big breakers. The beach has a very shallow decline, so that when the tide is in the water is about 10 yards from the cabin, and when it is out, it's maybe 40 or 50 yards from the cabin. As a result, the water is knee deep unless you go way out to sea. The kids loved this and so did I--I wasn't worried about them getting carried away or tossed around in the breakers. There is a fresh water river that flows just to the east of Danny's that you can also swim or rinse off in, which is nice.

Every day the village children (I counted around 40 of them) would come to the beach after school and play a Fijian version of baseball using a bamboo stick and a rubber ball. They welcomed my 10-year-old to play and he played almost every day with them. My 6-year-old became a tree climbing expert as the village kids showed him how to get coconuts and other fruits I never learned the names of! I loved to see my kids playing with children who had never heard of Disney, Pokemon, or Nintendo.

There is lots to do there. Some of the young men from the village made a bilibili--a sort of raft/boat made from bamboo--and Sake and Henry took our boys out on it a couple of times. They had so much fun jumping in and falling off. Some of the village kids waded out and played with them on it.
We did a trip to the nearby largish town, Sigatoka. We went to Eco-Park, a well-done zoo / jungle walk where we saw lots of the local wildlife. Birds and lizards and turtles. We toured the school. My husband and son attended a rugby practice. There was plenty to do! We went on a hike to a waterfall, which is about a 30 minute hike through the jungle.
One of the best things about Fiji/Danny's for families is that
a) there are no poisonous snakes on the island due to the mongoose
b) there are no poisonous spiders on the island
c) the mongoose is the largest mammal on the island
I felt very safe letting my kids trek through the jungle. I felt very safe letting the kids roam around the village.

Staying in a homestay is different. There is no room service. The accommodations are basic. You'll be staying with people who live very differently from you. It's a bit like camping. We were worried it would rain while we were there, and it did, but mostly at night, and the two days it "rained" it really just sprinkled, and it felt nice and cool in the heat (we were hiking to the waterfall)!

The best part about Danny's is the people. If you choose to go to a resort, realize that you will be socializing with other tourists. If you go to Danny's, you'll be socializing with Fijians. We wanted to meet Fijians, and we were glad we stayed at Danny's because the people we met there are some of the best we've met anywhere. It felt amazing to see and learn about these people who are living mostly off the land, communally in a village. When I first arrived there, it seemed to me these people were living in abject poverty. But they aren't poor--they just don't need much money. By the end of our stay, I had come to realize that these folks are in some ways much better off than us in America. They look out for each other, share land and resources, have little technology and lots of love and time for each other. I hope we can go back there someday, it is an amazing place.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank BlueJasper
Sunshine Coast
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I can only endorse the preveious reviews, Danny's Homestay is a fabulous place to relax, unwind, enjoy some genuine Fijian hospitality and to meet and really get to know some lovely local people.
The food was excellent, a mix of traditional and western, catering for three vegetarians and one not. We ate with family members (when they weren't cooking yummy things for us)
The rooms are light and airy, right on the beach and surrounded by lush tropical gardens and the village, Namatakula, sort of surrounds Danny's, with plantations of coconut, taro and tapioca between.
Along the beach in front you will see the local kids playing, fishermen on bamboo rafts, horse riding and occasionally the local U17 rugby team training. While we were there the local rugby 7s team won a national title so there was lots of celebration and kava drinking.
My family - me 47, wife 40 and boy16, girl 14 - spent four nights at Danny's which enabled us to begin exploring the village and the local area. We rode horses on the beach, swam in the river, rode to a waterfall, snorkelled and ate and relaxed. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Antonius7
Denver
Reviewed 18 February 2010

Seriously, it is THAT good. I stumbled upon Danny's and feel so blessed that I did. Danny's is operated in the small village of Namatakula - where time is a bit slower, people a bit friendlier, and life is a bit better. I think the experience is enhanced by the beautiful hosts of Danny's: Sake and Toupo. Wow, talk about sincere, caring, and down-to-earth. From the moment I arrived we shared hugs and laughter! And, they made certain I was happy and comfortable my entire stay!
I truly can't say enough about what a beautiful, authentic Fijian experience this was . . . to feel like a family member, and a part of a real community was amazing!
I can't recommend this enough for anyone and everyone . . . Happy Travels!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank orangesandcoffee
Melbourne
Reviewed 4 February 2010

I had booked a holiday to Fiji with my 14 year old son in December (due to bargain priced flights) without knowing a thing about the country. Through this forum, I found out about Danny's homestay on the Coral Coast, we also decided on Treasure Island for a few nights. (Again, due to this forum and then my own research)

We had the MOST FANTASTIC time at the homestay!!! Our hosts Tupou & Sake couldn't have possibly done anymore for us!!!!! We were treated like a combination of Royalty and Family!

When we arrived they asked when we would like to eat (Even though it was getting late) I thought it might be a little snack, but it was a BEAUTIFUL, FRESH,HOMEMADE, FULL MEAL consisting of curried fish, a wonderful chicken dish, a succulent beef dish, 4 different local vegetables and rice, fruit & the neverending offer of 'juice' (They loved their soft drinks!!).

And it just got better from there, sure the rooms were basic (but clean), we went to Church with them, snorkelled with them, ate with them, laughed with them, exchanged stories with them, ate with them, learnt from them, taught them, went to the waterfall with them, ate with them, watched the 'lovo' being prepared, ate the most amazingly cooked lovo meal with them (which included Morton Bay Bugs and Crayfish, on the side!!!) walked around the Village with them, had a bon-fire on the beach with them.......

Where do I stop???

As I mentioned I went with my 14 year old Son, this can be a tricky age. Not ONCE did he complain about a single thing, let alone ask about MSN or anything else, as there wasn't anytime!!!!

Treasure Island was also beautiful. Air-Con, ensuite, organised activities, never-ending pool.... The 'Smorgy's' meals were very average though. Why were we paying top dollar for Western Food when only a few days earlier we were eating the freshest, most delicious homecooked meals for a fraction of the price????

I paid $95 p/n for myself, and I think $60- for my Son (fijian). You honestly can't beat that!!! I actually felt guilty!!!!

We were at Danny's on the 23-26 Jan 2010, and I can guarentee that the experience was amazing, and one that my Son and myself will value forever!

I could keep going on, but then I would never stop. Please check out the website!!! And possibly your next visit could be your best holiday ever!!!! I know we have formed a strong bond with this amazing couple, and their friends and families, and will definately be back!!! (Who knows when, that doesn't matter!)

Resorts are fantastic and everything is at your fingertips. But why not have an 'experience' with the true Fiji. Tupou and Sake and all they offered us was truly amazing! My Son talks about our stay there much more then our Island Paradise!!!!

www.fijihomestays.com

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank firsttimefiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Namatakula
The Warwick Fiji
Uprising Beach Resort
Uprising Beach Resort
#2 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Danny's Village Homestay? Share your experiences!