“10 year anniversary and Goldendoodle vacation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mills River
Barkwells, The Dog Lovers' Vacation Retreat
GreenLeadersSilver level
Covington, Tennessee
“10 year anniversary and Goldendoodle vacation”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Wow ... I had to write this review while I'm still here. I fell in love with Barkwells seeing a small ad in the Dog Whisperers magazine a while back. In January of this year ... my husband was diagnosed with colon cancer. He has had surgery and had just begun chemo treatments. Cancer didn't pick a good time for us... because March 15th was our 10 year anniversary. We have traveled to many places including out of the country. But we needed something close, easy to travel too and relaxing but most of all ... dog friendly. We rented a minivan and headed to Barkwells.

The photo's on facebook and the website are very accurate... however ... they do not show the details and how wonderful this place is. I was hesitate about renting Bo's Hideaway. I really wanted to be by the lake but my goldendoodles needed a large yard. (they are very active and excited dogs - still young) But ... the moment we pulled into the carpet and gated yard and the dogs could run free ... it was wonderful. Ms. Ellen met us at Bo's and showed us around. I was blown away. Bo's is such a BIG cabin. You cannot capture it on photo's. All the fixtures in the kitchen and bath ... are beautiful. The walls are beautiful. The furniture is beautiful and I must say ... I expected the furniture to have an antique (used smell) ... NO WAY ...the furniture is antique or used but it looks brand new!!!

The TV is nice, the washer/dryer, the beds are great, the linens and towels are nice. I work at a flooring store and I love floors and tile on walls in bathroom. At first I didn't pay alot of attention to the sunroom in Bo's but I kept finding my doodles in there. It was the perfect room. The kitchen is great!!! We cooked out at night and soaked in the hot tub. (I only wish the deck was covered like the other cabins) That leads me to the yard. I was so concerned about the yard... its large, very large. The landscaping is nice, along with squirrels and birds and the chickens/goats are next door (the dogs eyed them thru the fence)

Me and my doodles are active and loud. We had a blast playing ball in the yard and by the lake. They played with a german shepherd, great dane, 4 golden retrievers and a sweet lab. The golden doodle energy was just to excited for a beautiful Akita that came in. But all the dogs were well mannered...(well the doodles are young and still have some work to do)

Bo's hideaway was just perfect for us. We needed to destress from cancer and this was awesome. Mrs Ellen and Mr Michael are blessed and they share this blessing with others!!! I cannot say enough about being here. We also enjoyed going to the Biltmore and driving Blue Ridge Parkway.

We also hired Ashley the ClickChick Photographer. She is a sweet lady and very patient. We don't pose well and along with excited dogs ... I know we were a challenge for her, but she was awesome! I could have talked to her all night... it seemed like I was talking to an old friend that I hadn't seen in a while.

I set up a website on shutterfly( http://barkwellsziggydaisysvacation.shutterfly.com/ ) and will add photos to it when I return home. But I just had to post a review while everything is fresh on my mind. Any cabin at Barkwells is great... for the view, cabin, hot tubs, fenced yards . Bo's is secluded from the other cabins ... but the yard and cabin is large and plenty of room to move about even with large dogs.

Room Tip: Choose Bo's for large yard, large cabin and privacy. Every cabin at Barkwells is great.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank camerasphotos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I can't say enough about Barkwells.. . great cabins complete with fully equipped kitchen, great porch (with jacuzzi!), beautiful views, fireplace, doggy door & yard...community grounds with lake. It doesn't get any better than this - a fabulous country retreat! Love it! S.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Greenville, SC - USA
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband, daughter, dog, & I had a very enjoyable experience at Barkwells! Our cabin was cozy and just perfect! We stayed in the Baxter-cabin by the way... This was our first trip here and we loved it! The cabins are well kept and have great views of the mountains, lake, and countryside! Property is secluded but is also close by restaurants and shopping. This was a fabulous trip for us and we look forward to visiting again! And super cool to have a place to take our dog too since we travel with him...... ;o) Loved it!! (oh- & our daughter enjoyed feeding the chickens too by the way.....)

Room Tip: I am certain any cabin here is a great choice!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
St. Augustine
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Our first time there but we'll be back. Our dog loved the large property to run around and play with other dogs. Our cabin was immaculate and cozy with a fire place. Great views and secluded yet close enough to drive to restaurants and entertainment. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank BelindaSt_Augustine
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband discovered this place and we just got back with our two pups. Barkwells is awesome. 7 arces of fenced in land, a pond. Individually fenced in cabins, doggy doors, doggy beds. For humans there are fireplaces, comfy beds, hot tub.. Cabins are clean and very nice. Staff is wonderful. We definitely will be back many mnay times!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SuphrinaG
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My brother and sister-in-law, along with my "niece", Zoey, and "nephew", Jaxby, live in South Carolina. I'm in Tennessee with my dog, Luna, and my parents and their dog Jenny live in Kentucky. We've found that Barkwells is a good place for the family to meet up. We've only had the joy of visiting twice, but we loved it both times. It is an excellent place for dog-people and Asheville has so many dog-friendly stores, restaurants, etc., which adds to that. They also have chickens, which intrigue the dogs and offers the option of fresh eggs, as well as goats. The whole place is beautiful and relaxing. With the entire area being fenced-in, it reduces any worry for dog-owners and offers the chance to get your dog off-leash. And, each house has its own fenced-in area, which is an added bonus.

If you aren't a dog-person, this might not be the place for you, but if you are, you won't regret taking ALL of your family members here, especially the furry ones.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank knpeek
North Carolina
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed here a few years ago, it's an amazing place for dog lovers. The cabins are gorgeous! We stayed in Baxter. We hope to return this Christmas.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
#3 of 21 in Asheville
Asheville Cottages
Asheville Cottages
#1 of 21 in Asheville

Been to Barkwells, The Dog Lovers' Vacation Retreat? Share your experiences!