“very disappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“very disappointing”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Having heard good things about this place we decided to aOogive it a try. We were shown to a table which was littered with the previous occupants dirty dishes which the waitress proceeded to clearer while we were seated-she managed to clear some of the debris but the rest was left until we placed our order. We ordered a ham salad to be told there might not be any ham left so were asked for a second choice. We also ordered a Nurserymans salad which should have come with coleslaw. When it arrived it had 2 portions of beetroot salad which I was expecting but no coleslaw-that was replaced by another portion of beetroot salad! When I asked about the coleslaw I was told that they had run out. I suggested that it would have been nice to have told me that before my meal was delivered. No apology was received & no offer of an alternative. During our visit I commented to my husband that all the staff looked stressed & nobody was smiling. The other thing that concerned me was that staff were going from handling money to.handling food without washing hands, wearing gloves or using tongs and the chefs "whites" were filthy. We paid for our drinks & left without eating.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Yvonne K

England
“Strange contradiction”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The contradiction comes from reading some of the other traveller reviews and my take on the same place. The place is warm, comfortable and has exceptionally friendly staff. The coffee is quite superb. Now that's a good hit, but - and it's a big but - the food is just nothing like the rave reviews I am reading. In my opinion it is the kind of food that a good amateur would provide, someone like your Mum or Dad in the kitchen at home, but the professionalism of good cheffing is lacking. The cakes and scones just look like some contribution which may be seen at the WI or a local fete or gala. Probably it would have been alright if the prices had not been London based, quite unforgiveable. On a positive note, the restaurant/cafe stands in the middle of Harvey's plant nursery, the plants are quite magnificent, well worth the visit showing high professionalism, expensive but well worth paying for.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank RestingEngland
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Tasty food in a relaxing atmosphere. Free range chickens roam just outside. The perfect place to find some new plants for the garden and then enjoy a gorgeous meal.

Visited March 2014
“Such a pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

We decided to go because of the Orchard Rooms's good reviews, and its location midway between us and some friends in Essex. We all found that the restaurant fully deserved the praise. The food was lovely and sensibly priced. The 'special' of beef cheeks was beautifully tender and with a delightful sauce. Service was excellent and the ambience on a sunny January day perfect. The fact that it was full on a weekday in January is testament to its overall calibre. This is a small business that deserves to do very well. Thanks and congratulations.

Visited January 2014
Suffolk
“Enjoy”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Just had a 'Christmas' meal with 25 friends - excellent (pre-booked) choice of food beautifully cooked and well presented. Friendly staff and pleasant surroundings.

• Visited December 2013