“Perfect Wedding Reception”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurston
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We had our wedding reception at The Grange on 1st July 2011 and it was absolutely perfect.
We looked round many different venues and decided on the Grange because of the location, price and the fact that I knew our wedding photos would be fantastic.

The owner, Vipal, took it upon himself to be at every meeting we had prior to our big day which we were really impressed by. They offer a few different wedding packages but we decided we would rather pay for each thing singularly as we had a friend doing our disco and another friend making our cake. The Grange were very accommodating and pretty much let us do whatever we wanted. The owner himself had loads of really good ideas which we were impressed by. The Grange are clearly very experienced with dealing with weddings. I (of course) was a very fussy bride and they delivered on request after request. The only thing they couldn’t do was have the chair ribbons we wanted, but they were happy for us to buy our own to match our colour scheme. They did have 5 different colours but as we had such an unusual colour they all clashed!

Flowers
We used the Granges flower lady – Janice from Flowers with Flair and everyone agreed we had the best wedding flowers they had ever seen. She was simply fantastic, and we will be using her for our sisters weddings in the future.

Arrival
We got married at our local Church and arrived at the Grange for 3.15pm. The Grange had put cones in front of the hotel so no one could park there so we were able to get some lovely pictures. We had Pimms and lemonade, and a fruit punch as our arrival drinks. A lovely waitress was waiting for us with the drinks. A bunch of staff worked efficiently to make sure all my guests had drinks quickly.

Starter: A fan of seasonal melon with a raspberry coulis
Main: Roast chicken, with roast potatoes, parsnips and stuffing, cauliflower and broccoli in a medium cheese sauce, honey glazed carrots and fine beans wrapped in leaks.
Vege Option: Mushroom tart with above potatoes and veg
Dessert : Strawberry cheesecake with a white chocolate sorbet
We had 95 guests, and everyone was so impressed with the food, even the people who were served last. It looked fantastic and tasted gorgeous. We had a chef as one of our guests who works in a Michelin star restaurant, and even he was impressed. We provided the Grange with our own wine (we were charged corkage), and instructed them to make sure everyone’s glass was always full, and boy did they manage this!
I only wish I could eat the meal again!

Disco
We were told that the staff would need an hour between finishing dinner and the room being ready for the disco, but this wasn’t a problem as everyone could either go in the garden (we did for more photos) or stay in the bar. In actual fact, it only took them about ½ hour to sort the room. We had hired the main room, and also another room so that guests who didn’t want to party could relax, and the staff moved some of the tables and table decorations in there and it still looked great. As well as a cake (which they kindly cut up for us) we had a chocolate tower. They stored our chocolates (we had 20 BIG boxes) for us the day before, and even though they told us we would have to set it up ourselves (bridesmaid job), one of the waitresses helped.

After
We didn’t stay at the hotel, as we wanted to actually leave so everyone could wave us off. The next day we came back to collect all our decorations and found that they had all been neatly packed up for us.

Thank you to Vipal and everyone at The Grange for making our special day so perfect. I highly recommend you for weddings and food to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ria B

Reviewed 22 September 2011

I stayed at the hotel last weekend and was saddened at how such a potentially lovely hotel has been left in the hands of amateurs. The staff were all running around like headless chickens getting ready for a wedding and the bride was letting them have it for a serious mistake that had her in tears.
The food was barely edible, my room was awful, smelly, dusty and the bed linen hadn't been changed for at least a couple of days.
I asked to speak with the manager to complain and I actually got to speak with the owner. He made numerous feeble excuses but did not have the manners to apologise.
I stay in hotels several times a month and it is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at.
The owner should do the decent thing and close it down...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've not stayed in such a tired hotel for many years. Old matresses, tired decoration, bathrooms, mismatched furniture, and very shabby finish. The only positive was surprisingly the food, which in fact was excellent! I just wish I'd not had to go back upstairs to such a depressing room!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed at the grange for a wedding, the package we paid for cost£120! Our room was absolutely discusting! It was dirty,smelt and defiantly not the size a double room should be. There were stains on the floor and pillows. And when we asked to be moved we was told there quite full so another room would cost more money! The heating was on all night and with it being in the middle of august all the wedding guests were baking! The food was horrible.it had no taste and was served with potatos but no salad or veg?! When we asked if we could have some we were told that veg wasn't on the menu!! I complained about the state of our room and the fact that I had seen some of the other guests rooms which still wasn't worth the money but were better than ours. I still haven't had a reply from this rund down, poorly ran hotel.
I would never ever ever stay here again not even if I was paid to do so!!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 29 June 2011

This is what £110 for a double en-suite will get you at The Grange in Thurston:
- A single room (confirmed by the single bed headboard still nailed to the wall) with a double bed crammed in so tightly, there is virtually no floor space
- A room so hot, they even have a standing fan tucked away in a wardrobe in anticipation of your complaint
- Towels left at the top of the communal staircase...that are still there the next morning
- Corridors leading to your room that are dated and lined with ironing boards, I actually thought we had gone wrong and were walking down a fire escape route or staff only section!
On the plus side, the food was good, the wedding that we attended was excellent in terms of how the staff looked after us, and the garden is absolutely beautiful. The individual towels in the Ladies was a nice touch. However, I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it; what a shame, the hotel has so much potential.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2011

On a positive note:
- Spacious room
- Lovely quiet spot & amazing hotel (as in architecture) with plenty of potential but please do something about it !

Bathroom:
- The bath had no plug.
- The light over the sink didn't work.
- No bath mat & only 1 bath towel to be shared.
- The mini complimentary bottle of shampoo was half used.
- The glass (to rinse the mouth) had lots of black deposits at the bottom, not been washed since God knows when.
- The tap water & shower were only luke warm.

Bedroom:
- No net curtains
- Lampshade of the desk not working.
- Uneven & cricking floorboards
- Lamp shade for only 1 side of the bed, no light switch for the other person whatsoever.
- Couelt cover was stained.

Breakfast:
- Table was dirty & sticky.
- Where are my baked beans ? They were on the menu but certainly not on my plate !
- Waitress served the coffee & didn't even ask if we needed space in the cup for the milk, why not leave a coffee pot & let us get on how we wish?

Restaurant menu:
- No veggie option
- Calf liver & similar for nearly £20 a plate, no thanks

Bar:
- Lounge table had lost their varnish & were stained
- Very tired decor

Outside tables:
- Evenings are chilly, where were the outside heaters ?

Reception:
- Apart from asking for the credit card on arrival & departure, they don't say much else.

Location:
- If you like very remote then you will be happy.

Stayed there only because everything else was booked in Bury St Edmunds.
Honestly paying £110 for one night is extortion, I won't stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lotus1lotus
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Visiting friends and stayed here overnight. Very peaceful setting and top floor room had a commanding view of the garden. The room lacked some attention to detail in housekeeping but it wasn't dirty and the dual control TV was troublesome to operate. Breakfast was very good and service was friendly rather than polished. Some of the fabric now a bit tired in the hotel which made the price seem a little high for the overall quality.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurston
The Angel Hotel
#4 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
The Chantry Hotel
The Chantry Hotel
#2 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!