“Needs work”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurston
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The hotel is situated in a lovely surroundings i have to say the lady on check in was lovely and polite the food was outstanding evening meal and breakfast first class until i checked out the gentlemen that was on reception that morning was very unhelpful and miserable i have to say i would only ho back for the food as it is outstanding

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed for just the one night, a Saturday, as working locally over the weekend. Having read the previous customer comments, I was slightly worried what I would find, but I was pleasantly surprised. The Manager was very polite and efficient, the room, although small, was perfectly adequate for the one night and came complete with a large TV and nice en-suite. Bed was comfortable and room was clean and ladybird free! The breakfast was fantastic. I chose Eggs Benedict which was very tasty and fresh.

I struggle with some of the other reviewers expectations of The Grange. You get what you pay for and I can only speak as I find - which was it was great and does exactly what it says on the can. I will return again next year...

Room Tip: For one night, as a solo traveller, Room 2 is perfectly adequate. Small but has everything you need...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2013

First of all the positives. The room and communal areas in the hotel were clean, and the girls behind the reception and bar were helpful and pleasant, and the hotel itself was a lovely building set in nice grounds.
The manager however didn't seem to want to be there and not the most cheerful of people.
We stayed for a whole weekend as friends of ours were getting married nearby so the rooms were all booked by people in the same party. I mention this as this means that we couldn't change rooms because if we did one of our friends would have been put in our room.
If you go to this hotel do NOT accept room 16 or 17. We were in room 17. It was separate from the hotel and up a metal staircase, which seemed like a fire escape, possibly over a garage or something.When opening the room door it touched the bed, so I had to maneuver around to let my husband in. In fact the room was not much bigger than the bed and the bathroom wasn't much better.
Although it was clean there were ladybirds everywhere. We managed to put some outside but they kept appearing. My husband also opened the fanlight in the bathroom to let out steam after his shower and loads of ladybirds tumbled in.
The room has a hairdryer in it, however it is attached to the wall and nowhere near the mirror so almost impossible for a lady to style her hair with.
There is also no wardrobe or chest of drawers. There is a tiny cupboard built into the eves with a rail in it but this was not adequate and there was no drawers in it or in the room, meaning we had to live out of our case which was on the floor and we had to keep stepping over it as the floor space was so limited.
Everyone complained how hot it was and we could not open our window for fear that the ladybird problem would have got worse.
On the first morning our breakfast was quite good, a full English served buffet style but the following morning it was awful. It contained the same ingredients but nothing was browned as if it had been cooked in a microwave and the bacon was floppy and fatty and barely cooked.
We also did not like not being in the main building as it meant us going out into the cold and rain and having to put a coat on just to go to breakfast or to the bar.
We never had an evening meal there so I cannot comment on that. We ate at a pub called The Dog about 10 minutes away which was brilliant.
All in all it was very expensive for the tiny pokey room we had and all our friends had something wrong whether it was the shower not working, the room being shabby or too small.
I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms 17 or 16
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LordLJeavons
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

For people not familiar with British TV series "The Hotel Inspector", an experienced hotelier offers advice to struggling hotels.
I'm not sure if the Grange is struggling as it seemed rather full but it does need a makeover. The rooms (I saw 3), were a little shabby and dated. The first one I went in, room 3, had a strange double glazing arrangement which meant the windows could not be opened. Not normally a problem in October but the room is adjacent to a boiler and felt like a sauna!
Anyway, I was relocated to room 17 and that was more suitable. I suppose it's being picky but the ancient TV's give the rooms a very dated feel as do the carpets and decor.
Now onto the positives. The hotel is in lovely grounds and is a beautiful building set in lovely grounds. There are 3 chalets in the grounds which looked nice but I never saw the interiors. The food it has to be said is of an excellent standard, very we'll presented and very tasty. The portions are not massive but quality beats quantity every time in my book, having said that the breakfast was very generous.
The staff are polite and helpful, although the manager/owner seems a little uncomfortable dealing with the public.
All in all, the hotel is value for money for where it is and the lovely building & grounds but it could be so much more with a little investment. Also internet connection is very poor in the rooms.

AH

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and although the hotel itself is clean and tidy areas were quite shabby. The first room we were given was also suffering a plague of flies! After complaining we were immediately given another room on a higher floor which was much better. My husband had the full English breakfast which was very good, I however had toast and croissants the latter being completely burnt! Not difficult to warm some pastries surely. The staff were a bit half hearted I think, and when we checked out tried to charge us £89 for meals we never had! Don't think would visit again I'm afraid.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We recently stayed at this quiet and quaint hotel for three nights. The staff were very polite and extremely helpful and check in was not an issue. The hotel has very good parking available as well as a beautiful garden area which is accessed from the side of the building and the bar area. In summer it must be gorgeous. This hotel is hard to find however and my Garmin could not pick up Thurston so use the map the hotel supplies on line. We expected old world charm but this hotel is tired although spacious and our room was very large. There is no elevator but we were offered help with our bags if we needed it. The room was No. 1 and was very spacious with a sitting area and t.v. and large bed which actually did dip in the middle but I have to say I did sleep well. Linens were good and the bedroom warm. The hotel overall was very warm at the beginning of October with adequate heating and extra supplied in the form of oil fired free standing heater. The sitting area had a tired and worn two seater couch and coffee table which was placed on a rug and every time we got up we tripped over it as it tended to bunch up on the pile carpet. The lighting for us older folk was abysmal and reading a paper after dark in the room could only be done under a lamp on the bedside table. The furniture was not wonderful, chipped and worn but maybe this is what we should expect in an old house! There was an adequate supply of tea and coffee in the room. The bathroom was adequate but the shower was dangerous with the mixer tap not mixing properly and producing scalding water in the shower. No grab rails for ease of access for older folk either. There was adequate heat although the bath towels were tired and worn. Even with all of what I have mentioned we did have a quiet sleep, no noise from weddings or the bar and breakfast was very adequate and the food well cooked both in the morning and evening in the restaurant. However, the tables were sticky and our clothing and papers and lap tops kept sticking to them. Not because they were not clean but because the varnish on them was worn and they did need to be re-sealed. This hotel has direct competition from the pub down the road and if that is the case they need to jack up their bar area and add wifi to the rooms as well. The menu is good but they clearly need extra staff when they have a party of more than 6 come in for breakfast or dinner as wait time can become long although having said that we were asked if we would be dining in every day so they could accommodate people efficiently. With all of the above said I did enjoy my quiet time there. If I had been travelling alone I would prefer to have a radio of something playing in the place in the background in the morning to take the edge off the somberness of the restaurant. More lighting would do the trick too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Lovely location, however, thought it was strange when I got to room 8, and the curtains were closed at 6pm, pulled them back, only to find the windows covered in flies, and ladybirds, spent the next half hour with all the windows open, shoeing them out with a piece of laminated paper out of the book, 29 flies, and 12 ladybirds later,, i noticed the lamp in the room was covered in them, 10 in total, shook the lamp out of the window and got rid, thought they had all gone, went for dinner, services wasn't good, waited for over half hour before someone even came to us, but, the food was excellent, couldnt fault it. Went back to the room, only to find another 8 ladybirds on the lamp, and the wall covered with little flies, oh, and ladybirds in the bed, I couldn't sleep, as on turning the lamp off they were flying around, finally got moved at midnight, I was shattered, on complaining at reception the next morning, and saying that they needed to knock something off the bill, the girl was less than helpful, and not really interested, even when I told her we as a company put alot of business through them, and its in their best interests to do something about it, a collegue who happens to be staying all week, also had the same problem in his room too, in fact, came down to dinner with ladybirds crawling all over him, and they were also in the bar area. Couldn't fault the breakfast, in fact one of the best I have had, and I stay in quite a few hotels, although its in a beautiful setting, and the food was excellent, for customer service I wasn't impressed at all, although the girl who sorted me another room out at midnight was really helpful. I would think twice about going back, and as a business, would now consider using another hotel, simply because of the attitude when checking out.

Room Tip: check for flies and ladybirds before you unpack, and be suspicious if the curtains are drawn
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurston
The Angel Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel
#7 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#3 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
2 mi away
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#5 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!