“One night stay at The Grange”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurston
Wigan, United Kingdom
“One night stay at The Grange”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

The hotel has great character. Our room was extremely spacious (2 double beds!) but at least one couple in our party of 13 had a very tiny and cramped room. We eat at a local pub in the evening (The Victoria, which was good pub grub) as the menu here seemed very pricey for us. Breakfast for OK, but the 'muesli' was a mix-yourself thing with oats and seeds and tasted very musty, though one of the staff said it was because the ingredients were toasted. Very ordinary toast - no croissants etc.

Room Tip: See above: some rooms are obviously much more spacious than others.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Whitstable12
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We got married at the Grange in February and overall it was a very underwhelming and disappointing experience. I have sat down to write a review so many times but I end up getting so angry at how poor the service was that I end up deleting it!

Positives:

Lovely breakfast
Gorgeous rooms
Lovely venue - the building is a very impressive building and there was plenty of parking for guests
Amy at reception was very friendly and helpful

Negatives:

We were not offered help with our bags when we checked in (we were able to take them up the 3 flights of stairs ourselves so not absolutely necessary, but would have been a nice tough considering costs of rooms)
The managers (Vipul and Amita) were unhelpful and unfriendly throughout the entire process - I really am left wondering why they are in a job that they do not seem to enjoy!?
Vipul was 35 minutes late for a meeting to discuss final wedding arrangements and we often found him difficult to interact with which created extremely awkward situations
I received numerous comments from guests throughout the day asking why the managers (Vipul and Amita) were so sullen and unfriendly
Issues with room bookings
My CD with our wedding music (for when the guests entered and when I walked down the aisle) had been scratched since I dropped it off a week before and skipped the whole time that I walked down the aisle
I spent a lot of money on hiring mirrors for the tables and teacups for table decorations. Neither were put on the table as promised. Vipul suggested that they wouldn't fit (he offered this opinion on the day of the wedding, despite agreeing that they COULD go on the table!)
Buffet issues: The manager (Vipul) refused to make our 3 year old flower girl a plain ham sandwich in the evening, luckily a lovely older gentleman that worked on the bar agreed to make one and produced one about 5 minutes later.
More buffet issues: The buffet came out at 9am as agreed (there was no leeway on this despite asking it to be brought out earlier) and as I was very hungry I went to take a sandwich, only to be told to 'leave the food alone' by Vipul until he had finished bringing it all out. I understand that it is easier for them to wait until it has all been put out but to be so rude to the bride on her wedding day just didn't seem right.

To expand on the room issues:
I stayed in a room the night before the wedding and I had booked the honeymoon suite for the night of our wedding. I had an email that reassured me that the staff would move my luggage from one room to the other as I would be busy getting married at that point. At 11am on the morning of the wedding Amita told me that I had to check out of the room immediately, as they had other wedding guests checking in there at 3. I had spoken to Vipul (face to face) 2 days earlier who had confirmed that my room booking was fine! I was told that I couldn't check in to the honeymoon suite until 3pm (our wedding was at 12pm!) so I was halfway through having my make up done and being told to leave my room without anywhere to get ready!? Luckily one of the bridesmaids had a few strong words and she asked for the reception team to swap the rooms so that she stayed in that room that night (which then enabled me to stay in that room and finish getting ready). There are so many points where this should have been picked up by the reception team throughout the planning of the wedding. Having to worry about this an hour before the wedding was not the best experience.

More info on my ruined wedding music: I dropped off both CD's to Amy who checked them both and they both worked fine. One week later, on my wedding day, they were played as the guests walked into the ceremony & as I walked down the aisle. Unfortunately the CD's jumped/skipped the whole way through. A guest saw Vipul walk out after he heard the CD skip, who followed him and asked him to fix it. He proceeded to do nothing, and walked out to tell me that they were ready for me and that I could walk down the aisle now. So I walked down the aisle to a CD that skipped the ENTIRE way! Quite embarrassing and ruined the wedding video. Seems odd that the manager wouldn't attempt to fix this straight away before he told me to walk down the aisle!!

I had 3 face-to-face meetings with Vipul to discuss wines/menus/decorations and other last minute things. On one occasion we were left waiting for 35 minutes and were told that he was 'stuck on the telephone' to somebody upstairs. He came in looking like he most definitely overslept with a wonky tie and open top buttons. (We could be wrong but that was our impression of why he was late!) He did not apologise for being late, but Anita did apologise once on his behalf.

Amita and Vipul did not communicate well, which resulted in me being overcharged for my room on check out. I had to challenge this. As we checked out Vipul sat with his back to us - considering we had spent thousands of pounds at their venue it would have been polite to be thanked for our custom and to wish us well?!

We spent over £1000 on the buffet and it was left out for 1 hour. Therefore I asked to take the leftovers home so that we could have the cheese sandwiches etc the next day. Vipul strongly advised me on two occasions that I shouldn't take it home because there was fish and meat in some of the sandwiches. I was made to sign a disclaimer and Vipul made a very sarcastic comment to my husband about the fact that I wanted to take the food home. We do have enough brain cells to leave the sandwiches that have the potential for food poising (prawns). However, there were so many things that we COULD eat the next day!

We will NEVER stay here again. We initially had a lovely idea to visit every year on our anniversary. But we will not be wasting our money. Although we still had a lovely wedding day - it would have been 10 x better if the managers could manage a smile, be polite and seem to enjoy their jobs and communicate effectively so that guests are not told one thing when they pay for their wedding and receive a totally different arrangement on the day of the wedding.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite was lovely!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Whitstable12

Travellers are raving about these Thurston hotels

Crowborough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We recently held a family event in the Banqueting Room. The owners of the Grange could not have been more efficient and helpful in the organisation and the running of the event. Everything ran smoothly and on time, anything we suggested or asked for was immediately actioned. Some of our guests stayed at the Grange and they only had good reports. I would not hesitate to recommend the Grange.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very comfortable room with two double twin beds. Lack of good size window meant it was hot, although there was a good window in the en suite. Food was good, very generous portion for breakfast. Staff very friendly and helpful. Only drawback was field of oil seed rape adjacent to hotel - not good if one is allergic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I have run a number of business workshops at this hotel and it's always been a great venue. In particular I want to thank Carrie who did a wonderful job of making everyone feel at home and created a sense of warmth and welcome - she's a great addition to the team! Thankyou!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew2715
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here for just one night as we were exploring Suffolk. We stayed in a lovely log cabin in the grounds, which was new and very comfortable and well-appointed. The grounds are beautiful, and the house itself it a bit tired, but the location is excellent. The breakfast was one of the best we had ever had, set in a beautiful dining room overlooking the gardens.

Presumably because of the very rural locationhere is no phone signal and the wifi did not work at all.

All in all was very good and we would certainly go back.

Room Tip: Choose the log cabins, though they are more expensive.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Interesting to view previous comments - this place has so much potential but I guess money is the key to the major difference between how it is and how it could be.

The room was fine but slightly let down by only soft pillows, no soap and a taped up shower head to try and hold it in position

Food was very tasty and well presented but let down by being not too warm and having been taken away for reheating it coming back even colder - and at breakfast fruit selection looked great on the plate but let down by the very long time it took to arrive (and please don't give us warm toast 15 minutes before our cooked breakfast)

If money to refurbish is a problem then one very cheap way of generating more is improve the quality of service. It appears the owner? has looked at previous comments and offers to carry bags to the rooms - but where's the warmth?? Try and be just a little bit welcoming on arrival and when checking us out don't act as if I'd just paid for a paper at a local convenience store - "Thanks for staying with us - hope you've enjoyed your stay - have a good journey home - hope to see you again" ??

I hope the Grange flourishes - it has a great location and grounds and is a great building - but it needs to work harder

PS Re ratings what fitness centre and swimming pool????

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PapaW75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurston
The Angel Hotel
BEST WESTERN Priory Hotel
BEST WESTERN Priory Hotel
#7 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!