“Whatever you do - Dont stay here” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurston
London
“Whatever you do - Dont stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

Pro's:

The food was actually quite nice.

Con's:

Took them an hour and half to get the internet up and working.
Reception, room, bar were all in need of a make over.
Location is in the middle of no where. The hotel isnt a destination in itself.
Overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
LONDON,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

I had arranged a weekend away for my partner and i to celebrate his bday.I had booked a cabin by phone and received a confirmation and reminder a couple of days before our trip.
Upon arriving at theThe grange hotel, we were taken to our cabin, which had a private terrace overlooking the peaceful and beautiful garden...we actually spent that evening drinking champagne on that terrace...idyllic.The cabin was of a very good size,clean with a large plasma television and a wonderful big bathroom.
We spent the morning visiting nearby villages and came back to the hotel by lunchtime...we had a dispute whether to have lunch at the local pub or at the hotel and ended up sitting at the hotel terrace in the beautiful sunshine to order our lunch..and boy were we pleasantly surprised...my partner ordered the hotels special club sandwich and I ordered the steak sandwich...wow, that lunch would have beat any pub lunch by a mile...and we both agreed that we would definitely have dinner at the hotel restaurant that evening....which we did...and all i can say is... heaven.The service was good, the winelist great, and the food an absolute delight...we later discovered that the new chef had previously worked at a michelin starred restaurant..so if you are a foodie like us...what an incredibly delicious experience...and to top it all, their prices were very good taken into account that they only use the best raw ingredients for all their dishes...so all in all, we agreed that the grange hotel is one of the best kept secrets out there and we will definitely be back for more.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

I have been travelling to Bury St Edmunds for 6 months and just wish I had found this hotel before. I have stayed at numerous other hotels, most of which are a shambles. This one is professionally run and for the product it is excellent value for money.

My booking ws handled extremely well when I phoned to book and upon my arrival. My room was comfortable and very clean.

The food was absolutely stunning! They claim to have a chef with a Michelin background and the food doesn't disappoint. One of the best I have had in the area. teh staff were attentative and extremely friendly.

The setting of this hotel though, is what makes this so special. It is absolutely glorious. Truly an English gem.

I recommend the log cabins as they are newer stock although slightly more pricey, but still generally cheaper than most of the other local hotels. I won't hesitate to return to this gem on my next visit!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
bury st edmunds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

What a shambles!! It is a disgrace that this venue is even on the list. At our wedding reception there was not enough food, not enough staff, the reception was badly managed and the staff and management were rude and discourtious.
Our advice is to avoid this place at all cost!!!!

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
east anglia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2008

Booked my parents to stay at the grange via the internet using there booking system online six months before as they where attending a wedding on the premises, gave credit card details etc all confirmed no problem. Two weeks prior to stay I telephone to check booking, make sutre all ok to be told that I havent paid for the room, as I naturally thought that giving my card details would pay for the room. I questioned this and was handed over to an overly arrogant man who would not talk but just demand that I hadn,t paid for my room and didn,t explain that by booking via the internet it would just book the room and nothing else. Ok so I had not paid my fault, so decided to phone the day before and pay over the phone using my credit card no problem all done. Great, parents all booked in paid for job done. Next day I recieve a phone call from my mum telling me again that the room has not been paid for, lots of people also in the same position, even the brides mothers room also had a problem. By this time I realised by speaking to the recetionist, who again told me the room was not paid for! again very arrogant and would not listen, after much of a disscussion and suggestions that she checks last nights till receipts, finally did she find out that my room had been paid for, and was very apologetic to me. As for my parents who after all this had been made to pay again where very confused, which is exactly what I didn,t whant to happen. Did they and any one else recieve a complimentry drink or apology not on your life, If it hadn,t been for the wedding most of the guests would have left. looks a great hotel but may be they should change the staff on front of house.

• Liked — lovely premises
  • Disliked — terrible front of house staff
  • Stayed September 2008
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Thurston hotels

Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

Great setting but some flaws.

Our bathroom was with the usual grubby carpet so beloved in the UK. It was advertisd as having a shower but had only a shower head in the bath only, usable just for hair washing. Also, they had mixed up the reservations and given our travelling companion the bigger and better room, although ours was a double too. We realized this too late to change.

We missed a breakfast buffet and 9.00 is simply to early to finish breakfast. As normal in the UK the place is overpriced by Continental standards.

The restaurant is certainly good though.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
Darlington , UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2007

Stayed couple of nights in log cabin. Accommodation OK, clean & tidy. Towels were frayed at edges, could be better. Main building needs some tlc and cleaning. Cobwebs in lobby and carpet worn. Only had breakfast, which was waitress service, one morning waited 15mins to get served. Charged £1.50 for getting paper. Don't think it deserves the 4 rating other guests have given it.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurston
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#3 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,106 reviews
Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds
#11 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!